Call of Duty: Black Ops...
Last post by Scherge
Yesterday 02:29 AM
3 Replies, 750 Views

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Dark Tower Takes Aim at the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Sony's The Dark Tower targeted the top of the Box Office Chart, but missed the mark with fans and critics, opening with less than $20 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of August 4th to August 6th, 2017.
  1. The Dark Tower $19.5/$19.5
  2. Dunkirk $17.6/$133.5
  3. The Emoji Movie $12.3/$49.4
  4. Girls Trip $11.4/$85.4
  5. Kidnap $10.2/$10.2
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming $8.8/$294.9
  7. Atomic Blonde $8.2/$34.1
  8. Detroit $7.2/$7.7
  9. War for the Planet of the Apes $6.0/$130.2
  10. Despicable Me 3 $5.2/$240.7
  11. Baby Driver $2.5/$97.0
  12. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets $2.3/$36.1
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Damn, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets fell fast...and hard. I guess nobody was asking for that movie

According to IMDB: $63,269,883 grossed worldwide...on a $177,200,000 (estimated) budget. Damn.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

It looks like it was a poor weekend all the way around for films.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Man I wanted The Dark Tower to be good but Metacritic isn't giving me much hope. Anyone seen it that can say something about it? I know it isn't very faithful to the source material but I had high hopes with Idris Elba in the lead that it would be at least "pretty good", I knew it would not be OMGWTF amazing since it doesn't crib enough from it's source material.
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Zane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Damn, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets fell fast...and hard. I guess nobody was asking for that movie

According to IMDB: $63,269,883 grossed worldwide...on a $177,200,000 (estimated) budget. Damn.
My son liked it but it had some big problems that turned people off. First, the CGI and a lot of the action scenes looked like a video game, not a movie. Second, they put a burlesque scene in the middle of a movie that seems obviously aimed at preteens and younger. Why the fuck would you do that? Yeah, she keeps her clothes on but they still have her doing the standard upside stripper pole routine.

I'm not a prude but I get annoyed when a single rather unnecessary scene makes a movie inappropriate for younger audiences. That whole part (the dance, the alien fortress/whatever, the stupid fight scene, the horribly written and acted death scene) was terrible. At the beginning of that portion of the movie she's captured in a wooden trap and detained while wearing the same power armor they just showed the other character using to run through reinforced walls.

There's lots of other stupid shit in there as well but that part was the biggest offender. Regardless, my 11 year old son loved it except for the popcorn container being held in front of his face for the stripper scene.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
Man I wanted The Dark Tower to be good but Metacritic isn't giving me much hope. Anyone seen it that can say something about it? I know it isn't very faithful to the source material but I had high hopes with Idris Elba in the lead that it would be at least "pretty good", I knew it would not be OMGWTF amazing since it doesn't crib enough from it's source material.
I have read all the books(started reading them when I was a late teen. 38 now). My take on the movie? It was very average. It really doesn't show the world King created in the books. I think that is the most glaring part for me. I do have issues with King's later books in the series and I totally see why someone would need to switch things up a little for the movies. But if they could have channeled the world King created it would have been a better movie. However this movie was just so....plain. Nothing really mysterious or cool about it. Also very...clean. Like Roland has been wondering around for who knows how long and in this movie he looks like he just started out on his journey. He doesn't look tired or weary.

I wish someone who actually loves the story and lore behind the books would take the project and run with it. That feels like the problem here too. For instance Lord of the Rings. It was really cool to watch and see all the details. Even if you never read the books you were interested because it was so detailed. I truly believe it was because Jackson really loved and understood the material. That is what I feel is missing from this movie. Just no love. So its pretty boring.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I truly believe it was because Jackson really loved and understood the material.
That is what I loved about him making LoTR, you could tell he was completely immersed in the material and absolutely loved and respected it. Even with stuff people left out like Tom Bombadil, it didn't feel like it necessarily didn't happen. It's like it happened off screen and they didn't show it or allude to it but neither do the books for most of the series. The addition of the love story between Arwen and Aragorn was something that wasn't necessarily cannon, but still fit, to a degree; with hints of such a possible connection in the latter extended books that weren't part of the main series.

I feel like that waned a bit for The Hobbit but that is yet again another series in the LoTR world so I could see how he could flub that one with the lack of material to work with and 3 movies to make and just sheer exhaustion with the material.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
That is what I loved about him making LoTR, you could tell he was completely immersed in the material and absolutely loved and respected it. Even with stuff people left out like Tom Bombadil, it didn't feel like it necessarily didn't happen. It's like it happened off screen and they didn't show it or allude to it but neither do the books for most of the series. The addition of the love story between Arwen and Aragorn was something that wasn't necessarily cannon, but still fit, to a degree; with hints of such a possible connection in the latter extended books that weren't part of the main series.
Uh...the love story between Aragorn and Arwen was very much a part of the books. It was, in fact, a driving force behind Aragorn doing what he needed to do to reclaim the throne; Elrond wouldn't allow them to be together until Aragon became king. He completely changed Aragorn's character; instead of being steadfast and determined to claim his birthright and destiny, we were given a wishy-washy version that was essentially hiding from what he needed to do.

Of course, he also made the Numenoreans extremely weak. Elendil and Gil-galad straight-up beat Sauron in combat (which is why he was deathly afraid of Aragon showing up) and Isildur was the one who struck him down; in the film he was portrayed as winning because of a lucky swing. Aragorn was similarly diminished. It sucked, because he was essentially a Captain America from an entire race of Captain Americas; the Numenoreans were essentially superhuman.

The reason why Sauron was legitimately afraid of someone like Aragorn showing up was because the last time he was defeated, it took one Elf Lord and one Numeorean to beat him in direct combat...and he had the One Ring at the time. Having a pure-blooded Numenorean - the descendant of the ones that killed him - back in the mix was cause for concern.

Jackson is certainly a fan of the books, but he made a ton of dumbass, weird changes. Some of them were for dramatic effect, certainly...but others were just completely pointless.

Quote:
I feel like that waned a bit for The Hobbit but that is yet again another series in the LoTR world so I could see how he could flub that one with the lack of material to work with and 3 movies to make and just sheer exhaustion with the material.
There was definitely enough material in The Hobbit for two movies. Three was a bit much.

I digress.

Sorry for the mini-rant. As much as I enjoy Jackson's LotR movies, some of the shit he did still irks me after all of these years.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 08-07-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Having read the Dark Tower books many many years ago and the Gunslinger since it was released in the 80s. I hardly remembered any of it so it was like watching a new movie. In fact I remember more about MidLand from The Talisman than I ever remember from the Gunslinger. TBH I can't tell you if the story followed closely. For some reason I recall them parting at the water of the sea at the end of the first book and I don't remember a trip to Keystone Earth in the Gunslinger at all. Oh well, that's what happens when you haven't read the book in so long.

And I liked it, mostly. The acting was decent from Jake as a whiney kid who follows the part of the heroes journey and predictable from Roland as the fallen hero who must be redeemed. They don't really do much to emphasize how special Roland is though except for what was almost a throw away line. The there were surprisingly few VFX and there were more of the small (like the reloading of the guns) than the large.

I like that they really didn't tone down the Walter/The Man in Black. He was EVIL and there were no punches pulled. He was well played and the casual killer mode didn't seem too much of a stretch for McConaughey. His Texas drawl made the orders seem even more like second thoughts which added to the cold-bloodedness.

I didn't care much for the close of the movie; it changed from the book. It doesn't bode well for a franchise. Then again I guess the opening weekend figures don't either. BTW, there is no real after credit scene just (spoiler) you can hear the man in black whistling even though Roland supposedly killed him so the sequel is ready so no need to stay to the end.

I thought it was worth watching but probably not if you're a Dark Tower purist.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
reborn2603
Subscriber

Detroit $7.2/$7.7
This has to be a typo, right?
reborn2603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

The Dark Tower was pretty cringe-inducing for me.
There were a lot of scenes that were terrible.
Seeing Steven Deschain was a let down. That scene was pretty awkward.
Mid world always had a dreary feel to me. It was literally a world where everything was moving on. It was passed it's prime and heading towards the end. Everyone in it had a feeling of being left on a shelf passed it's expiration date.
The movie was pretty bizarre. Poor decisions made all around.
And the house demon... Yikes, that was terrible.

All that being said, just go see it if you are a fan. Crap or not, if you have invested as much time as I have, you just have to see it, and then hope that they make something better with the next installment.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
Laz
Dread Lord

The Dark Tower was OK. Not great or terrible. If you go with low expectations, you will enjoy the film. It was entertaining, but I doubt it will spark much interest with those not familiar with the source.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn2603 View Post
Detroit $7.2/$7.7
This has to be a typo, right?
There were special screenings before Thursday, so there was an additional half a million in total sales over the weekend take.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Saw the Dark Tower on Friday and was disappointed. I've read all the books, and while some of the later ones go off the rails a little, I'm still a huge fan. It should have been billed as "inspired" by the Dark Tower instead of as the Dark Tower. It was a completely different story then any found in the book, and a boring generic one at that. A huge waste of potential. I don't know why you'd bother going out and getting the Dark Tower license and then throw away all the source material.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicToEat View Post
Saw the Dark Tower on Friday and was disappointed. I've read all the books, and while some of the later ones go off the rails a little, I'm still a huge fan. It should have been billed as "inspired" by the Dark Tower instead of as the Dark Tower. It was a completely different story then any found in the book, and a boring generic one at that. A huge waste of potential. I don't know why you'd bother going out and getting the Dark Tower license and then throw away all the source material.
Well, I think the fact the story was different was intentional, for a variety of reasons. I haven't seen the movie, mind you...but, I didn't expect it to be exactly the same.

Spoilers, for those who haven't read the books but plan to:

The ending of the last book was quite clear: The journey depicted in the books wasn't Roland's first trip to the Dark Tower. Every time he reached it, he got sent back to the beginning with no memory of his previous journey; the last book ends with the same line that opened the first. The movie is intended to be the final cycle. It is, after all, Roland's "last time around".

I highly doubt each of his journeys were exactly the same...but, even if they were, the one he would be taking at the end of the series was going to be different: He had the Horn of Eld, which he needed to have in order to successfully complete his quest.

The movie was intended to be book #9, not a straight adaptation.

Again, I haven't seen the movie so I can't speak toward it's overall quality. I do, however, think it's pretty silly for fans of the series to be complaining about it not being a straight adaptation. Anyone who finished the series and listened to what King had to say about it should have gone in expecting something different from the books.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
...Again, I haven't seen the movie so I can't speak toward it's overall quality. I do, however, think it's pretty silly for fans of the series to be complaining about it not being a straight adaptation. Anyone who finished the series and listened to what King had to say about it should have gone in expecting something different from the books.
I understand what you are saying and that's how I justified going to the movie. I was thinking the same. However, other than Roland having the horn in his pack the whole movie(that was pretty cool if you knew the meaning), the story in the film does not mention or lead to anything regarding the other stories. No sense of growth or anything really. Now I wasn't expecting Roland to get some big clues on what has happened to him in the past. But maybe something for the audience? But I guess if you haven't read all the books then that would pass over you. Still... Even Roland's motivation in the movie was way different than the books. I always felt that no matter what Roland went through And no matter how many times he walked through the Tower door and ended back at the desert not knowing what happened. his main priority was the Tower. It was what made him such a great, flawed character. His biggest strength and weakness. That blind iron will and focus on a single objective. He thinks he can fix all the wrong in his world and all the fucked up shit he has done to get to the Tower would be justified(maybe redeemed). Non of that was conveyed in the movie and as a fan I was let down. Roland was just... an action movie hero. His character and story deserve so much more.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

I think the main issue is that the movie is basically a big budget setup for the TV series, which is in itself a prequel to the film. It would have been better served for this to have come out closer to the release of the TV series, or hell, between breaks in the season (ex. show half the season this Fall, the film in Winter, then the rest of the season next Spring).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #18
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Jackson is certainly a fan of the books, but he made a ton of dumbass, weird changes. Some of them were for dramatic effect, certainly...but others were just completely pointless.
I think it really comes down to the fact that a book is experienced in a completely different way than a movie. The changes Jackson implemented were to make a better movie and not let the source material weigh it down with all the detail that could be possible. Streamlining is just something that has to be done and then additions have to be made to insure things transition smoothly in a cinematic way. That is where the crux of Jackson's problem was but I think all in all, no one could really have done much better or have even got close.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I think it really comes down to the fact that a book is experienced in a completely different way than a movie. The changes Jackson implemented were to make a better movie and not let the source material weigh it down with all the detail that could be possible. Streamlining is just something that has to be done and then additions have to be made to insure things transition smoothly in a cinematic way.
While I understand many of the changes were made to add dramatic tension and make a better overall movie experience, it still doesn't mean many of the changes he made were either odd or, in some cases, downright stupid. See the aforementioned changes to Aragorn's core characteristics.

Quote:
That is where the crux of Jackson's problem was but I think all in all, no one could really have done much better or have even got close.
His films are far from perfect; he's not the only one out there who could faithfully and successfully adapt the series to film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I understand what you are saying and that's how I justified going to the movie. I was thinking the same. However, other than Roland having the horn in his pack the whole movie(that was pretty cool if you knew the meaning), the story in the film does not mention or lead to anything regarding the other stories.
It doesn't bring up the other stories because it doesn't need to; the ending of the last book explains why. It's a sequel, not an adaptation.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:27 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

In the end it doesn't matter if it is a sequel or an adaptation if it just isn't a very good movie and all indications are that is what happened here.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart