Last post by Chimpbot
Today 05:53 AM
15 Replies, 1,410 Views

Old 06-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Star Wars Story Spin-Off Movies Reportedly On Hold at Lucasfilm

Quote:
Following the lower-than-usual box office of this year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, Collider is reporting that the other spin-off films set in a galaxy far, far away have been put on hold at Lucasfilm. This includes the previously announced plans for an Obi Wan Kenobi movie from director Stephen Daldry as well as the Boba Fett film from James Mangold.

The studio is now putting all of their focus into the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX, which arrives Christmas 2019, and will continue to develop the previously announced trilogy from Rian Johnson as well as the series of films from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

There's a relief.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Star Wars is dead. It died in 1983 and is simply a corpse now. If you enjoy it, you're a necrophiliac.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Well, this is a bit of a shame.

Solo underperformed, but the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies were two that the fans actually wanted to see. They could easily surpass the quality of TLJ and Solo.

I'd hate to see the side-story films get shelved because of one underperforming film.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Don't they get it, Star Wars is about Jedi, quit making movies without them.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
davidj.dk
Evil Dead

i wonder what they will do when IX fails

What they dont seem to realize is that Star Wars isn't dead.. we just dont care about silly stories and retarded people..
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
Mozgus
Evil Dead

I personally blame the patriarchy.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:51 AM   #8
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
I personally blame the patriarchy.
100% agree...

Star Wars was too patriarchal so they changed it to fit the "modern world" and now all the men are too stupid to realize they are actually better than the old patriarchal films from olden times. Men need to go see these movies since women have no interest in them overall. Men are ruining Star Wars but not going to see these new movies with a positive non-patriarchal message.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 AM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, this is a bit of a shame.

Solo underperformed, but the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies were two that the fans actually wanted to see. They could easily surpass the quality of TLJ and Solo.

I'd hate to see the side-story films get shelved because of one underperforming film.
You think? I still have no desire to see a Boba Fett movie any more than I had a desire for a Solo movie. What could it possibly be about that would be of interest? He would have to be a hero. They wouldn’t make a movie about him being a villain. And do we really want to see them humanize him or have some “Save The Cat” moment to get us on his side?

All Boba Fett was, was a cool suit. They can invent new cool suits. I’d like to see more original characters at this point. Let the ofiginslmovies rest in their grave with as much dignity as we can muster at this point.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Boba Fett is interesting because we DON'T know about his backstory. Obi-Wan is interesting because of the mystery around him when we first meet him (Ep 4). These characters become LESS interesting as Disney fills in the 'gaps' in Star Wars lore with their own truckloads of progressive nonsense and poorly written and regurgitated dreck.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Don't they get it, Star Wars is about Jedi, quit making movies without them.
For those of us who grew up with Star Wars in the 90's, Star Wars was about much more than just Jedi. They didn't receive really star to receive the attention they got in the EU, video games, etc, until after 1999.

Before then, it was all blasters and X-Wings with the occasional lightsaber. Hell, Luke wasn't portrayed as really starting to rebuild the Jedi until relatively close to the prequels, when the Jedi became truly front-and-center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
You think? I still have no desire to see a Boba Fett movie any more than I had a desire for a Solo movie. What could it possibly be about that would be of interest? He would have to be a hero. They wouldn’t make a movie about him being a villain. And do we really want to see them humanize him or have some “Save The Cat” moment to get us on his side?

All Boba Fett was, was a cool suit. They can invent new cool suits. I’d like to see more original characters at this point. Let the ofiginslmovies rest in their grave with as much dignity as we can muster at this point.
Going back to the old EU books, Boba Fett had his own trilogy and was involved in a number of other stories. Even when he was the main character, he was never the hero; he was the protagonist, but he was always more of an anti-hero at most. At the end of the day, he was still a bounty hunter and a gun-for-hire.

I think they could pull off a movie with him as the protagonist, but not necessarily the hero. He wasn't a hero and never would be a hero.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #12
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

As much as I hear Solo did good in reviews, I am very glad for this. Hopefully we can avoid more mostly awful movies like Rogue One and focus on the good ones like Last Jedi and Force Awakens.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
As much as I hear Solo did good in reviews, I am very glad for this. Hopefully we can avoid more mostly awful movies like Rogue One and focus on the good ones like Last Jedi and Force Awakens.
I...but...what?

Rogue One was easily the most faithful Star Wars movie out of everything they've released so far. Hell, Rogue One and Solo both felt more like what a Star Wars movie should feel like than either of the new saga movies.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

The solution to all of this is easy: MAKE THE KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC MOVIE!! Geez... Bioware wrote one of the most interesting Star Wars stories ever. Put that on the big screen. Do that.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #15
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I...but...what?

Rogue One was easily the most faithful Star Wars movie out of everything they've released so far. Hell, Rogue One and Solo both felt more like what a Star Wars movie should feel like than either of the new saga movies.
Only thing saved Rogue One was the last part of the movie with the space battles and Vader.

Jen and her crew are forgettable characters.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
EGO
Evil Dead

All the people shitting on Star Wars "spin off" movies, you're fucking stupid. Rogue One is probably the #2 Star Wars movie ever made, right behind Empire. Okay, maybe 3rd, since we should give credit to New Hope. And Solo wasn't bad. People hating are just fucking stupid.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
EGO
Evil Dead

Quote:

Now see... that is why YOU don't have anything to do with Star Wars cannon or make Star Wars movies (thankfully). Hopefully, no suits with your thinking get a hold of budget and do a SW movie.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post

Jen and her crew are forgettable characters.
Was that the main character's name? I forgot everyone's name in that movie. Speaks volumes.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
Blog
Evil Dead

Quote:

The Bounty Hunter game (from the PS2 era), starring Jengo Fett, was one of the best Star Wars games out there, and with not a single light saber in sight. They didn't even try to make him a hero and it gave us a chance to see the seedier underside of the SW universe that's never really depicted in the films.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog View Post
The Bounty Hunter game (from the PS2 era), starring Jengo Fett, was one of the best Star Wars games out there, and with not a single light saber in sight. They didn't even try to make him a hero and it gave us a chance to see the seedier underside of the SW universe that's never really depicted in the films.
Don't forget about one of the biggest media events they had just outside of a movie release: Shadows of the Empire. The only lightsabers that showed up belonged to Luke and Vader (and there wasn't a lightsaber fight) and the video game starred Dash Rendar...a guy with a blaster.

It had a toy line, soundtrack, novel, comic books, and the video game...and the whole thing really didn't focus on Jedi at all, aside from Luke being a main character.

Tags
star wars