Today 05:00 AM
17 Replies, 985 Views

Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Destructoid: Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm tour is a big failure

Destructoid has the story.

Quote:
The worst offender is just the lack of care taken with integrating Duke into the regular game. While all of Graysonís lines are redubbed, the lip syncing on Dukeís character model is not. In the opening scenes, youíll see Duke muttering a few choice words with his lips then continuing to move like some awful Hollywood dub job. They donít even bother to change the animations, having Duke move his arms and point to things without mentioning them.

All of the characters from Bulletstorm have their dialog remain untouched, so Ishi and Trishka will still refer to Duke as Grayson. While this might be initially funny (with Duke asking, ďWho the hell is Grayson?Ē), it becomes a big problem later down the line. Like I said, Duke has a huge ego, so he would never stand for not being addressed by his actual name.

Then there is just the general delivery that Jon St. John (Dukeís longtime voice actor) brings to the table. This has to be the sloppiest Iíve ever heard Duke sound. Even my sister, who has a huge fondness of Duke from the Ď90s, was baffled that this didnít really sound like The King. I know Mr. St. John has aged, but Iíve met the man in person and he can still deliver the old lines. I think he just truly didnít care or felt disrespected that Gearbox wasnít doing something else with the character.

Really, why was Duke even placed into Bulletstorm? I think that can be answered quite easily: pre-order culture. Gearbox doesnít give a crap about what happens with Duke Nukem. This company shut down a fan-made free remake of Duke Nukem 3D seemingly because it would have upstaged their lazy port of the game from last year. No, they just wanted some incentive to get people blindly dropping money on their recently acquired intellectual property.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Kooch
Evil Dead

Gearbox are just the jankiest motherfuckers at this point.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Syloney
Squire

While I do agree with the opinion that customers should be provided with quality products, it's still a fun game when you take the lip sync issue out.

That being said, who takes articles published by Destructoid seriously. Are they not part of the click-bait echo chamber sites?
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Paranoia
Evil Dead

"Dukewashing" a game.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
"Dukewashing" a game.
Pure win.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I like how they didn't bother updating Duke's facial animations for the new lines so cutscenes look especially bad. It's like they did a fast model swap and called it a job well done. If it took more than 5 minutes I'd be shocked. Randy Pitchford patting himself on the back. $60, folks.

Gearbox looks desperate. So many high profile failures and wasting millions buying up old licenses on top of getting bogged down with lawsuits. Then the humiliation of a Youtuber doing their job in regards to the G2A debacle. They need to announce a release date for Borderlands 3 soon because what else do they have?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I never played the original, and I love dukes voice, I was fostering the idea of picking this up
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
Laz
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
I never played the original, and I love dukes voice, I was fostering the idea of picking this up
Me too, but think I will pass now.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
I wouldn't. Even though it is the same voice actor who did the original Duke, they didn't spring for quality recording equipment and it just doesn't even sound like the same guy.

It really almost sounds like he literally 'phoned in' his voice recordings over a cell phone. I would put good money down that they didn't do the recording in a studio at all and didn't do any post-recording effects along the line of whatever 3D Realms did back in the old days.

If you are that desperate to play Bulletstorm, go buy a used copy for $5 on eBay and just pretend it is Duke, because the main character is just a Duke ripoff anyway.

Tags
bulletstorm, duke nukem, gearbox, gearbox software