Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 08:39 AM
0 Replies, 210 Views

Old 12-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Nintendo’s Fastest Selling Games Ever

Quote:
There’s been a lot of discussion about the massive sales of Pokemon Sun and Moon. The newly released 3DS titles were promised to be big hits when Nintendo shipped out 10 million copies, and fans gobbled them up quickly. With 3.7 million copies sold in just the first two weeks, Nintendo has announced that Pokemon Sun and Moon are officially their fastest selling titles ever in the West.

“After becoming the most pre-ordered video games in Nintendo history, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon – the latest games in the wildly popular Pokémon franchise – have now become the fastest-selling games that Nintendo has ever launched in the Americas,” reads the press release. “In less than two weeks, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold a combined total of 3.7 million units. That’s an 85 percent increase over Pokémon X and Pokémon Y – the previous record holders for Nintendo’s fastest-selling games – during the same period when those games launched in 2013.”
Via Attack of the Fan Boy
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Pokemon is going to sell to its core audience regardless, but I hope Nintendo recognizes that the exceptional sales of these titles are surely do at least in part to the wider audience exposed to Pokemon through Pokemon Go. In other words, releasing their IP on other platforms has actually GROWN their own proprietary platform's sales and reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Daily active use among U.S. iPhone users is less than 4 percent of what it was at its peak in August, when more than 10 million people were playing each day, according to Mobile Action.
Source: Recode

After everyone realized that not only wasn't Pokemon Go a Pokemon game, it wasn't a good game of any kind, its player base plunged almost as quickly as its historic download rate had ascended. I was wondering if Pokemon Go damaged the brand in any way. I would say the answer to that is pretty clear in this news story.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Pokemon is going to sell to its core audience regardless, but I hope Nintendo recognizes that the exceptional sales of these titles are surely do at least in part to the wider audience exposed to Pokemon through Pokemon Go. In other words, releasing their IP on other platforms has actually GROWN their own proprietary platform's sales and reach.
They are releasing Pokemon on ANOTHER platform even. Sounds like they're going to release a variation of these games on the Nintendo Switch, entitled Pokemon Stars. Will be the first full HD big-screen mainline Pokemon game.

I think Nintendo, sparked in some small part by that brief frenzy of Pokemon GO are lining themselves up to have massive rebound in the Nintendo Switch. They were leaving every staff meeting by closing it out saying "for Iwata", and 3rd party devs are coming out basically in handfuls saying Nintendo is supporting, assisting, and doing whatever they can to help 3rd parties get their games on the Switch. I don't think a single developer said that about Nintendo and the Wii U. I think they're really going all out. This generation matters to them. Hopefully they don't squander the opportunity they're lining up for themselves, and instead deliver a bunch of great games, 1st and 3rd party.

Mostly just great games, but they really need to fix their online and networking infrastructure while they're at it, because that shit is archaic.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Anemone
Evil Dead

Games that can transcend entire generations are incredible.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Games that can transcend entire generations are incredible.
I guess, but I see a lot of people complaining about how this game is beneath their intelligence level. I wish they had made a game that really has universal appeal instead of just trying to appeal to children.

I don't think Nintendo's games are childish in the theme or content, but I do think they are childish in terms of complexity. They didn't used to be, but they have grown that way over the past 15 years or so.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I guess, but I see a lot of people complaining about how this game is beneath their intelligence level. I wish they had made a game that really has universal appeal instead of just trying to appeal to children.

I don't think Nintendo's games are childish in the theme or content, but I do think they are childish in terms of complexity. They didn't used to be, but they have grown that way over the past 15 years or so.
Depends on the game really, Jaz.

Just look at Mario 3D World for example. Beating it - easy and straightfoward. Getting all of the stars, unlocking all of the extra maps, etc - not easy by any means. Nintendo usually does a good job finding a way to make the main game accessible, but offering optional challenges for more skilled players, imo. Not sure about Pokemon though.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
They are releasing Pokemon on ANOTHER platform even. Sounds like they're going to release a variation of these games on the Nintendo Switch, entitled Pokemon Stars.
However, my point was to praise Nintendo for releasing their IP on a platform they do not own...non-Nintendo hardware.

It seems quite clear to me that doing that (with Pokemon Go) did NOT damage their own sales on their own platform. In fact, one could easily argue that releasing content onto other platforms (than their own) increased their sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
When I look at their games, in terms of graphics, music, gameplay, and content, I feel like I've entered a time warp. They just seem increasingly stuck in development Groundhog Day, releasing the same stuff in different packaging over and over and over.

It just doesn't interest me any longer. It doesn't interest my kids, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pokémon, pokemon moon, pokemon sun