Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:39 PM
5 Replies, 470 Views

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - E3 Thoughts

While there is still one more Press Conference later this morning (Nintendo), E3 is pretty much over for me. The game of the show was BioWareís Anthem for sure with a close second place for Ubisoftís Skull & Bones.

I wasnít that impressed with the footage of Anthem last year, it just felt kinda generic and that it was really trying too hard to be Destiny. The problem is that Destiny 2 never added up to much. The single player campaigns just re-hashed enemies and locations we have already seen and the gear was mostly ugly. Who wants to grind for ugly gear? Anthem looks like it will fix all the problems Destiny has with a better campaign and cool looking armor sets to customize and collect (Not to mention monetize, right EA?)

Skull & Bones will certainly scratch the itch left over from Assassinís Creed Black Flag. Iím going to miss a traditional single player campaign, but it really is taking the best part of Black Flag and turning it into a whole game. You canít go wrong with that. Plus, like Anthem you know there will be tons of items and ships to grind for and collect.

The big thing I took away from this year was that there are a TON of AAA games coming out in 2019. We still have several top titles that will be released at the end of this year (Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man, Battlefield V, Black Ops IIII, etc.) and the great games will just keep coming in January, February and March of next year.

After a couple of years where it felt like there wasnít a lot of fantastic announcements, this year it seemed like every publisher had good games to announce, most of which arenít titles that are going to get pushed off 2 or 3 years. What we are seeing this year, we will be playing before this time next year.

No matter what your platform, there is going to be TON to play. Good times.

P.S.: Runner up titles would include Dying Light 2, and Assassinís Creed Odyssey. Both those just stand out as titles you have to own.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Rage 2 and Dying Light 2 are the only games to leave a positive impression in my mind and things I might buy. The entirety of EA's conference was a disaster. Things that left me feeling disinterested are Anthem, Division 2, and 90% of Bethesda's conference. Don't care about Sony and Death Stranding looks like a bunch of delivery missions in empty wastelands packed with dull monologues and invisible handstand monsters. I'm still interested in Cyberpunk 2077. Fallout 76 is cynical garbage.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I did think a lot of the conferences themselves went poorly. EA’s was just a little dull, Betheseda’s was way forced. They kept doing the “pause for applause” thing over and over and no one was clapping and what is with pushing Quake Champions, Prey and that card game no one plays? It was awkward as all hell.

Microsoft had the traditional press conference, but having some annnouncer go “Exclusive” over and over in front of titles that you know are multi platform titles was painful to watch and seemed kinda desperate. It’s not exclusive if you are just the first people to show it. That was their “exclusivity” for most of those titles, it was the exclusive console premiere, not a title with something exclusive to the Xbox. That’s just marketing doublespeak.

They only showed off like four actual exclusives: Halo, Ori 2, Forza 4 and Gears of War 5 and you could argue that those aren’t even exclusive any more since Microsoft puts everything out on the PC too. I also thing that not showing anything from Halo or even talking about it was a mistake. The Press Release at least says that it is a new Halo title in development, from the video they showed I just assumed it was some kind of a legitimate version of Halo Online. I’m sure other people were probably confused too.

Sony’s Press Conference was nicer, they mostly just showed the games without the awkward pausing for applause or the dumb introductions of developers who we just don’t give a shit about, but as a result it was really subdued and felt like they didn’t show as much.

I think Ubisoft did the best overall, they are still doing the “big show” and doing introductions, but they had a lot to show off this year and thank god they dumped that Girl Wood model. She was terrible. I enjoyed the whole Just Dance 2019 intro. That was fun with the dancing panda and the crazy costumes. Sure, it is a title I will never play, but they made a nice intro out of it.

Square was smart. They didn’t have much to show, so they just streamed the trailers and left it alone. The new Tomb Raider looks great, but I still haven’t played the last one and my backlog is so big now that I’m not sure I’ll ever get to it. I think if you like those games, it will be another good one. Who doesn’t like killing dudes with a bow? Always fun.

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be amazing for sure. Wasn’t it recently delayed again?

I agree about Fallout 76. I just don’t know that it is something I wanted or needed. I think there is a fan base out there that wants it though. My Son is playing Fallout 4 today and his buddy is playing Fallout 4, but they can’t play it together. So, it fills a niche there for sure. Perhaps not for me though, it seems like something way too open to griefers. Perhaps if they have some PvE servers I could totally get into it. That is how I mostly played WoW, I stuck to the PvE servers for my primary character.

I didn’t mention Rage 2, it looks amazing, but the promo was painful to watch. Not sure who that musician was that did the intro, but he’s bad. It is like they have this great game, but have no idea how to market it. They just need to let it speak for itself like the last DOOM did. It’s going to be a great game, people will find it and buy it.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Oh and I have to add... WTF is with DOOM Eternal? Why not just DOOM II. DOOM II is one of the most famous games of all time, if they were doing a DOOM remake and they called it just DOOM why not have the sequel just be DOOM II? Seems like some bad marketing there.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Left out the best part! All that For Honor goodness coming!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I think people with a Playstation and PC were the biggest winners of this e3. Tons of different types of games to play. Skull and bones looks good, tons of customization. Hopefully the single player campaign is good. Rage 2 looks like a ton of fun, I may be one of the few people who enjoyed Rage, it was fun but it ended abruptly. Doom eternal, if it's anything like Doom then it will be amazing. Nothing needs to be said about Cyberpunk. The samurai dark souls, nioh 2, and ghosts are must buys for me. Spider man's combat looked great, can't wait to play that either.

Biggest disappointment for me was Fallout 76 being mp only.

and the biggest surprise was the explosm battle royale game: rapture rejects.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I am more excited about games after this E3 than I have been in 4 or 5 years. Not as many BR games and HD remakes as I feared. Not many must buys for me. Lots and lots of maybe when its cheap. Which is still pretty good compared to some recent e3s.

I recently sold my PS4 . I don't get to play that cool ghost samurai game. Not really worried about missing anything else Sony showed. I am a pc only for now. That means I can play Xbox games as well. Maybe Nintendo can win me over with some cool games.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Left out the best part! All that For Honor goodness coming!
I just installed the patch last night to go back and finish up the single player campaign. Every time I go to finish the campaign, I just end up playing multiplayer all night. Ha!

Looks like the expansion pack has a co-op mode and something called “Endless PvE” in addition to the four new heroes and the new castle breach mode. I hope the price is decent. I would be happy putting in another $20, but I don’t think I would want to go much higher than that.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Andrew WK opened for Bethesda/Rage 2. I think he's alright. For some reason my fiance loves him and met him before. His style is 20 years too late for me.

The PC conference was silly in how many bad and random games there were. Although that first person Factorio thing is neat.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Also something about last of us 2 really bugged me. First I liked the the first one. Didn't really want a squel with the same characters. That story ended.

But what is really dumb is you have 1 girl on the whole planet immune to the zombie spores. who is of breeding age,but she is a lesbian. Isn't there a lack of people after the outbreak. Isn't there a decent chance her offspring would also be inmune to the spores? Shouldn't she be trying to poop out as many inmune babies as possible? Then they have kids and the kids have kids and so on. Isn't that how you fix that universe? I guess SJW dogma is more important than the long term survival of the human race.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I just installed the patch last night to go back and finish up the single player campaign. Every time I go to finish the campaign, I just end up playing multiplayer all night. Ha!

Looks like the expansion pack has a co-op mode and something called ďEndless PvEĒ in addition to the four new heroes and the new castle breach mode. I hope the price is decent. I would be happy putting in another $20, but I donít think I would want to go much higher than that.
I got three friends into it now that the starter edition costs $0 this week.

One thing I don't think they mentioned much of is the graphics re-work, and that they are changing all the characters around so they will no longer be generic warriors. Each one is getting a name, style, new dialogue (for allies and opponents), stuff like that. Said it would allow them to tailor the characters much more, maybe give them more unique weapons, armor, etc...
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Doom Eternal because Halo Infinite.
And Xbox clearly said World Premier when appropriate. Regular exclusive when appropriate, and Launch (timed) exclusive when appropriate. I did not see any problem at all.
They took all your advice setting up new studios, adding studios, investing in new IP, and focusing on nothing but tons of games, and all you say to that is they are desperate. Come on, man.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I was really looking forward to something Borderlands 3 related. Sad Face. I just hope that the next Division isn't filled with bullet sponges. I will have to say how beautiful games are getting, its pretty insane.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Also something about last of us 2 really bugged me. First I liked the the first one. Didn't really want a squel with the same characters. That story ended.

But what is really dumb is you have 1 girl on the whole planet immune to the zombie spores. who is of breeding age,but she is a lesbian. Isn't there a lack of people after the outbreak. Isn't there a decent chance her offspring would also be inmune to the spores? Shouldn't she be trying to poop out as many inmune babies as possible? Then they have kids and the kids have kids and so on. Isn't that how you fix that universe? I guess SJW dogma is more important than the long term survival of the human race.
And you just summed up why TLOU was a terrible game, here they have a chane to save the world and what do they do? Decide one girls life is more important. Stupid narrative was fucking stupid.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:

A better case for rape has never been made before...

In the words of Chris Rock, "I'm not saying it's right, but I understand".
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:

You do understand that they can both be lesbians and still have kids, right? They only have to get with some random dude at the settlement a few times and they can push out a little brat.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Publisher win was Bethesda with honorable mention to Ubisoft, and big 3 win was Microsoft. IMHO. Bethesda and Microsoft show the most promise, momentum, and most unique game ideas in production. Sony was just gore, politics, and VR. :P Nintendo was like 90% Smash and maybe I'll buy Mario Party.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
And you just summed up why TLOU was a terrible game, here they have a chane to save the world and what do they do? Decide one girls life is more important. Stupid narrative was fucking stupid.
Well you do realize that if she's immune to the zombie spores that it would be because of some hyper-immune system which means she more than likely couldn't get pregnant.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Overall, I think this year's E3 was decent. There's plenty of stuff in the pipeline that I'm excited for to varying degrees, which is ultimately all I can ask.

I wasn't necessarily blown away by anything, but there is more than a handful of titles I'm looking forward to.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Well you do realize that if she's immune to the zombie spores that it would be because of some hyper-immune system which means she more than likely couldn't get pregnant.
Or, you know, she wouldn't be as cool and sympathetic and edgy if she was just one of those boring hetero people. Besides, we all know from Walking Dead that being gay makes you much more likely to survive the various zombie type outbreaks.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure evil