Rumor - Red Dead...
Last post by Terran
Today 09:48 AM
0 Replies, 6 Views

Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Apple Rejects Steam Link iOS app because of “business conflicts”

VG247 has word that Apple has rejected Valve's Steam Link app.

Quote:
The Steam Link app is a software version of the device of the same name. It does what the Steam Link was designed to do; let PC players stream their games over LAN to their phones, or the TV through Apple TV.

Valve designed the app to work with both, and it’s already been released on Android, but it seems Apple has other ideas. The app was actually available on iOS in beta for a while before Apple pulled it.

“On Monday, May 7, Apple approved the Steam Link app for release. On Weds, May 9, Valve released news of the app,” explains Valve in a statement.

“The following morning, Apple revoked its approval citing business conflicts with app guidelines that had allegedly not been realised by the original review team.

“Valve appealed, explaining the Steam Link app simply functions as a LAN-based remote desktop similar to numerous remote desktop applications already available on the App Store. Ultimately, that appeal was denied leaving the Steam Link app for iOS blocked from release.

“The team here spent many hours on this project and the approval process, so we’re clearly disappointed. But we hope Apple will reconsider in the future.”
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Then they should ban TeamViewer and other remove apps...
Old 05-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

This sucks... I was kinda looking forward to checking it out...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Are there any reasons to get an Apple product these days?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
walstib
Evil Dead

Apple has some nice hardware, great software, and terrible policies when they go beyond data privacy protections.

The company i love to hate and hate to love

We the consumer have continued to cede control to corporations for so long now that we're screwed. Crack is a hell of an addiction isn't it?
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Apple cowards are afraid it will take away App Store revenue because why would people buy iOS games on their phones when they have the whole Steam library to play which includes versions of a lot of said iOS games, especially indies.

All about GREED, pure and simple.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Apple cowards are afraid it will take away App Store revenue because why would people buy iOS games on their phones when they have the whole Steam library to play which includes versions of a lot of said iOS games, especially indies.(
Only if you had planned on playing it in your house with your computer still running and being free to play the game. If you were outside of your house or your computer was otherwise being occupied by other tasks, then the application would not work. So you should still likely want to have games like Civilization for iOS available so you can play it on the go and at any time.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

This is disappointing, but Apple has always been the most restrictive walled garden. I hate Apple. Cannot stand them as a company. I refuse to buy their products.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Skookum
Reaper

I actually tried playing some games on this new setup and I have to admit, if you're stuck with an Apple product and can't use Steam Link you're not missing much. I only tried it with Dirt Rally and Dishonored, but could not get over the lag between the controller and the action onscreen. I have a 5G connection on my WiFi, nonetheless it was pretty much unplayable.
Skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
I actually tried playing some games on this new setup and I have to admit, if you're stuck with an Apple product and can't use Steam Link you're not missing much. I only tried it with Dirt Rally and Dishonored, but could not get over the lag between the controller and the action onscreen. I have a 5G connection on my WiFi, nonetheless it was pretty much unplayable.
The Steam Link has been the corner stone of many of amazing game nights at my house. But I connect mine directly to my router, WiFi simply doesn't cut it. A draw back for some, a minor nuisance for others and a non-issue for those like myself where my router is a few feet from my TV.

Apple products though, are just... Weird... I don't really know how to describe it. Different to be different, overpriced and overrated. We do own a MacBook, but that is because it came free with my Wifes enrollment in a Masters program a few years ago. I have an Iphone, but it is a company phone and my personal remains an Android.

More on topic, who cares? The steam library is more than enough, let alone the Android app.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I recently swapped from an Android Samsung Note 4 to an iPhone X. I've gone back and forth but right now my home devices are mostly iDevices. It was different when Samsung and Google were putting out competitive large screen tablets but they only put out small ones these days.

And they are so feature poor they don't even compare.

I miss a lot of things about Samsung/Android; the screen size and the haptic feedback were big losses. Without the haptic feedback, the "buzz" when I hit a key on the virtual keyboard when typing, I have problems with the iPhone with accuracy.

My hands have been taking their time adapting to the smaller size too; maybe I should have gone to the iPhone 8+.

I also miss having a nice clean desktop where everything was nicely hidden and alphabeticalized under the "Apps" menu except the few things I wanted instant access to and my few widgets. With the iPhone I had a big mess of pages after I transferred everything over. Something like 7 pages to scroll through and I spent over 2 hours organizing things into folders just to get a nice clean appearance again.

However there are some things that iPhone has you can't replace. First and foremost is the hardware mute button. I don't have to unlock push volume down to get the volume down setting to pop-up then mute ALL the different sounds on the phone (ringer, notifications, systems, media). I toggle one button and it shuts it all off.

No "Enter" when unlocking the phone. My company requires a passcode on your phone if you get your email onto it and so on. I need to so therefore I have a passcode. On Android you put in your passcode then have to press "enter". On iPhone you don't. On the last digit it assumes you're done and goes right in. It is easy to underestimate how amazing this small detail is until it is gone.

Siri. This is flat out the smartest of all the digital assistants. Google, Alexa, Bizby or whatever... they have nothing on Siri. Siri even interfaces with non-native Apple Apps if she can, like Amazon Music (where she seems to sometimes do a better job than Alexa!).

The natural language algorithms for Siri are amazing.

Compatibility. Almost everything mobile is compatible with Apple. Certainly most things people want will be on Apple. Obviously not everything is, but you can be fairly certain that most things are. Not only will it likely be on iPhone but it will have much better compatibility on the iFamily of devices.

Like I said, I've bounced back and forth between Non-smart phones, Windows CE, Apple, Android, Windows Phone... I seen 'em all and they all have pluses and minuses. Right now, though maybe I wish I had gotten a bigger phone in the iPhone 8+, Apple is on it's game.

Not that the Galaxy S9/9+ aren't AMAZING phones too. And some people swear by the Pixel 2... if you can survive the plan and be on Wifi more often than not.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
GodFather
Evil Dead

The games on mobile are pure shit and nothing more than pay to win. I dont even play games on them...everyone made a big deal out of battlefront but the games on mobile phones are much more obnoxious with ads and pay to win.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, steam link, valve