9 Replies, 396 Views
New Childís Play...
Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 04:01 PM
2 Replies, 280 Views

Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have to say that I do like the Kylo Ren character and if it wasn’t for Rian Johnson’s stupid romance shirtless scenes, he would have been the highlight of the new films. I love that JJ Abrams seems to be undoing everything Johnson did. Rey is probably now a Skywalker, Ren is putting his helmet back on and we are getting the Emperor as a villain to replace the stupid death of Snoke.

The entire movie seems to be mostly damage control, which is a shame because it really limits what he can do with the storyline.

As I said in the other thread, I also think that the executives must have seen early versions of the film and they aren’t encouraged because it’s kinda a radical change to suddenly shift from doing a movie per year to just putting the whole franchise on hold and doing TV shows only for streaming.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Doesn't bode well for this generation if their legend is a Mary Sue.

It didn't click it was Rey Skywalker until I came here. I was wondering ehich one it was referring to.

Leia is the mother. Gonna be fun to explain that one.
Leia doesnít have to be her mother. Luke could be her father.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Leia doesnít have to be her mother. Luke could be her father.
Yoda is the father.
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

Episode IX, starring Maury Povich: -------, YOU are the father!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
I have to say that I do like the Kylo Ren character and if it wasn’t for Rian Johnson’s stupid romance shirtless scenes, he would have been the highlight of the new films. I love that JJ Abrams seems to be undoing everything Johnson did. Rey is probably now a Skywalker, Ren is putting his helmet back on and we are getting the Emperor as a villain to replace the stupid death of Snoke.

The entire movie seems to be mostly damage control, which is a shame because it really limits what he can do with the storyline.

As I said in the other thread, I also think that the executives must have seen early versions of the film and they aren’t encouraged because it’s kinda a radical change to suddenly shift from doing a movie per year to just putting the whole franchise on hold and doing TV shows only for streaming.
Isn't this the way the last trilogy panned out? The Phantom Menace was underwhelming, Attack of the Clones was so bad people to this day seem to try and forget it ever happened and Revenge of the Sith was not great but managed to somewhat repair the damage done by the last two movies by taking you to a familiar place.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #26
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I wonder who taught her to do force aerials over TIE Fighters?

This trilogy is such a disjointed mess. There isn't really an cohesive threat, or arc for that matter. It's incredibly stupid to have no build up to Palatine being in the final movie, if that is in fact what is happening. Seeing Lando didn't make me happy, it made me sad because the hacks running this franchise into the ground basically did everything they could to prevent any sort of reunion for the characters we actually give a fuck about.

When all is said and done this will clearly be the worst trilogy.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I wonder who taught her to do force aerials over TIE Fighters?

This trilogy is such a disjointed mess. There isn't really an cohesive threat, or arc for that matter. It's incredibly stupid to have no build up to Palatine being in the final movie, if that is in fact what is happening. Seeing Lando didn't make me happy, it made me sad because the hacks running this franchise into the ground basically did everything they could to prevent any sort of reunion for the characters we actually give a fuck about.

I was thinking about this yesterday. A lot of what is wrong with the prequel trilogy and the new trilogy is that it lacks the original cast. Those are the characters we cared about and those are the actors we wanted to see.

None of the cast of the prequel trilogy, the new trilogy or the two spin-off movies has been all that interesting. Is there anyone you really want to see more of? Perhaps Jango Fett or Mace Windu, but I can't think of any of the main characters of any out of 8 movies that I care to see more of.

Casting choices is a big part of what killed these movies. The casting choices is also what made the Marvel movies so great.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #28
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Agreed. However, Jar Jar makes it really, really close.

Quote:
Casting choices is a big part of what killed these movies. The casting choices is also what made the Marvel movies so great.
Very true. They've tried to cover for their poor storyline and bad casting decisions by offering dribs and drabs of original characters, but they've even borked that with a sulky and withdrawn Luke and a Leia Poppins in space.

It's just terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #29
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Darth Maul was a pretty cool, if not a really deep character.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #30
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Quote:
I have to say that I do like the Kylo Ren character and if it wasnít for Rian Johnsonís stupid romance shirtless scenes, he would have been the highlight of the new films. I love that JJ Abrams seems to be undoing everything Johnson did. Rey is probably now a Skywalker, Ren is putting his helmet back on and we are getting the Emperor as a villain to replace the stupid death of Snoke.

As I said in the other thread, I also think that the executives must have seen early versions of the film and they arenít encouraged because itís kinda a radical change to suddenly shift from doing a movie per year to just putting the whole franchise on hold and doing TV shows only for streaming.
I think the movie pullback was because of Solo. They know this one will be a hit, but that's the last gimme.

The worst thing they did was let Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted and not give him a story outline to follow. I don't understand how they could not have it sketched out? I respect him for taking chances, but with more of an outline they could have preserved a lot of what has to be undone now.

And I will never understand why they didn't have Leia sacrifice herself at the end instead of Dern's character. Heroic on-screen goodbye, nothing to explain in the next one, Dern could be in the next one as a replacement leader and no reason to have Luke die at the end. It would have been pretty easy to do.

Still better than the prequels. Terrible plots and wooden acting. These new characters are trying, at least.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #31
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Soooo from what I understood of the now non-canon novels..

This is the first type of story arc after the movie story arcs.. where in the novels.. there is a new empire.. bla bla bla.. new sunkiller weapon bla bla bla... Emperor is resurrected..

Hrrm.. JJ, seems you are just slightly revising the story arc of the novels..

Whats next.. the Chiss invasion with the drones, The Vong?

I'll watch the movie, but I can't help but feel that the storyline lacks.. well.. er.. story?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #32
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Still better than the prequels. Terrible plots and wooden acting. These new characters are trying, at least.
To each his own I guess. I feel like the prequels were much better than this new series, especially TLJ.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #33
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

I've never been into Star Wars by any stretch, but I thought Star Wars 8 was terrible story wise. The whole way the Rebellion attacked the fleet with the warp jump at the end just made me question just why this wasn't a normal tactic against massive capital ships and whatnot.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #34
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I've never been into Star Wars by any stretch, but I thought Star Wars 8 was terrible story wise. The whole way the Rebellion attacked the fleet with the warp jump at the end just made me question just why this wasn't a normal tactic against massive capital ships and whatnot.
Double that when at the beginning of the movie they lose their entire bombing fleet attacking one capital ship. Instead they could have just used autopilot or some droid to "warp jump" some old ship into it and crack it in half? That's kind of a game changer in terms of strategy.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #35
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The big problem with the new Star Wars movies is their new characters have practically no character. I can't remember any of their lines and have a hard enough time remembering names. Desperation is obvious when the return of Lando and the Emperor is the highlight of the trailer.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #36
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Double that when at the beginning of the movie they lose their entire bombing fleet attacking one capital ship. Instead they could have just used autopilot or some droid to "warp jump" some old ship into it and crack it in half? That's kind of a game changer in terms of strategy.
Yeah, such a capability would seem an obvious move:

Look how many ships it destroys. It would also mean that the fleets -especially if they continued to invest in such large, obviously high-value targets - were much more dispersed. It also means that previous attacks on the Death Star or Death Star-like installations may not even need these wonder shots of smaller vehicles flying in to hit a contextually small object that was critical weakness.

Plus Rey got smoked (starts @ 3:19):
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars episode ix