Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,317 Views

Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Sony Patent Sparks PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Rumors Again

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
A newly published patent has sparked rumours about future Sony consoles and backwards compatibility.

As reported by Gearnuke, the patent (via ResetEra) - entitled "remastering by emulation" - was published on 2nd October 2018 by Sony Interactive Entertainment America.

However, if you look at the "filed date" a few lines down, you'll see the application was initially made on 22nd November 2016.

The full application - which certainly appears to be legitimate - is pretty overwhelming, but it essentially details the live remastering of textures from old games and replacing them "on the fly" with shiny new ones better suited to contemporary resolution displays.

"Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it," the patent explains. "The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers.

"The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
ascl
Developer

That is the lamest patent. So basically they have patented the ability to use multiple textures for the same 'identifier' (i.e. filename) based on resolution? So any PC game that has been "modded" to use higher resolution textures is in violation of this?

Laaaaame.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

To be honest, unless they remove Blu-ray disc compatibility, then there really should be no reason why the next generation is not going to be backwards compatible with the current generation. We are no longer talking about game systems that are highly specialized, in terms of hardware, so it should be a more simple manner of just making sure that they develop an operating system that is compatible with the older instructions.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

That consoles are still struggling to do something so natively and simply achieved on the PC is a testament to how idiotic the whole console ecosystem is at a fundamental level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post
That is the lamest patent. So basically they have patented the ability to use multiple textures for the same 'identifier' (i.e. filename) based on resolution? So any PC game that has been "modded" to use higher resolution textures is in violation of this?

Laaaaame.
Normally I'd say this couldn't be patented because it is an "obvious" invention and it's been used before (LoDs and resource files are basically the same concept; this is just a slight variation on a theme) but the way the patent & trademark office works these days who the fuck knows.

After all, they let someone trademark the word Cyberpunk which has been in common use for decades!

The trick is efficiently offloading the rendering to the cloud so you can save on the client hardware then convince the customer it is in their best interest to still buy shittier hardware at the same price points and replace it every year.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I've been pretty upset that I haven't been able to play my digital or physical library of games on my PS4 from the previous generations. If I can't play my PS4 games on my PS5, then I'll be going mainly PC and only PS5 for exclusives. I have purchased over 2000 games digitally on my PS3/PS4 combined. So yeah, shame on me. They don't do backwards compatibility for PS5 then it won't be shame on me twice and I'll be getting one of those RTX 2080 Ti's.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps4, ps5, sony