4 Replies, 464 Views
The Nerds of Winterfell...
Last post by Booda
Today 06:11 AM
36 Replies, 1,947 Views

Old 04-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

No idea about now a days.... but about 20 years ago I did a little QA for Diablo 2. I didn't get paid shit!

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #22
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqa View Post
No idea about now a days.... but 15 years so there sure was.
I worked QA at Atari in Beverly MA and went onsite to bioware edmonton, legend in VA and Digital Extremes in Ontario and i could have ended up at anyone of those after getting my foot in the door and people seeing first hand what your capable of. A coworker in QA ended up at bethesda and is now a senior producer. Another is at epic as a qa supervisor. I almost ended up as a producer.

The problem has always been do you want to devote 75+ hours a week of your life to gaming. I loved the work and the money was nice and more or less needed after you factor in the cost of living in CA and MA compared to say cleveland. Ontop of that do you want or have a spouse or partner that will tolerate that kind of work week? I didnt at the time but things changed and went back to more main stream IT work and started a family. I dont regret leaving but miss the work. After all in QA your pointing out other peoples mistakes all day long
I remember that Beverly Mass office, it used to be part of Parker Brothers before they sold to Hasbro. Small fucking world. Course the main site where Parker Brothers existed in salem is now a condo development without so much as even a plaque to commemorate the history that once stood stood there.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #23
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
No idea about now a days.... but about 20 years ago I did a little QA for Diablo 2. I didn't get paid shit!
I did QA for Activision for a few years. The pay was great, but as I said, there wasn’t any opportunities. You can move up for sure, but move up to QA Manager? Then to QA Manager Supervisor.

It just isn’t a path to “game developer” unless you have those other skills and these days if you have those other skills you probably don’t need to start at the bottom doing QA.

I imagine it is even worse at Epic Games, where they are just churning out bodies doing stupid user-requests and low level tech support until people get sick of it and quit. How is that going to lead to a “Job” in the game industry?

I suspect that if Epic wasn’t located somewhere that jobs are scarce, they wouldn’t even be able to hire for those low level positions.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Yeah it’s not like they’re getting black lung from putting in extra hours at the mine in a struggle to put a meal on the table for a family. I can sympathize but only a bit. This is the career they’ve chosen.
This is going to fuck up their health in other ways. There's more ways to die early than by inhaling things. And to suffer as well.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I did QA for Activision for a few years. The pay was great, but as I said, there wasn’t any opportunities. You can move up for sure, but move up to QA Manager? Then to QA Manager Supervisor.

It just isn’t a path to “game developer” unless you have those other skills and these days if you have those other skills you probably don’t need to start at the bottom doing QA.

I imagine it is even worse at Epic Games, where they are just churning out bodies doing stupid user-requests and low level tech support until people get sick of it and quit. How is that going to lead to a “Job” in the game industry?

I suspect that if Epic wasn’t located somewhere that jobs are scarce, they wouldn’t even be able to hire for those low level positions.
That's completely true IF you don't have coding ability. More and more, even in the SaaS space, people want their QAs to having coding ability. Our QA for example writes script to run various scenarios to force out bugs and eliminate them.

But yes, if you have no actual dev ops abilities, despite still being on the dev ops team, you wont become an actual dev until you learn some sort of technical skill.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 04-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #26
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
This is going to fuck up their health in other ways. There's more ways to die early than by inhaling things. And to suffer as well.
Yah, sitting on your ass for large portions of the day, every day, is extremely terrible for your health.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, sitting on your ass for large portions of the day, every day, is extremely terrible for your health.
It’s true supposedly, but nobody is forcing you to do it. If you can code Fortnite, you can code database applications for a local widget corporation for more money and less hours.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #28
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

For Fortnite, it appears they have the option (if they’re not completely standard) of having adjustable height desks so they don’t need to sit if they so choose. I’d bet these sorts of desks are fairly standard for such companies.

So whole the long hours are voluntary because these employees could likely get less demanding jobs elsewhere, sitting seems also likely to be voluntary.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
For Fortnite, it appears they have the option (if they’re not completely standard) of having adjustable height desks so they don’t need to sit if they so choose. I’d bet these sorts of desks are fairly standard for such companies.

So whole the long hours are voluntary because these employees could likely get less demanding jobs elsewhere, sitting seems also likely to be voluntary.
Yup, too true.

Again, there are other industries that pay well with similar skillsets, that let you duck out at a normal time. If you have family or need a better work-life balance, go work for a SaaS or some other 9-5.

The shortage of employees will force game companies to course correct how they handle hours.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

There will never be a shortage of people willing to work on the next cool, maybe big, game.

That, unfortunately, will always keep line level wages depressed in gaming. In the higher end range of the specialized network, rendering, and so on programming you’d find higher salary of course, but everyone else will work for peanuts for at least a few years.

Check out the average span of time people spend in the game industry. There is plenty of research out there. Usually about 5 years is the cap before people burn out.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cliffyb, epic games, fortnite, is a douche