Last post by Booda
Today 06:11 AM
36 Replies, 1,950 Views

Old 04-27-2019, 06:42 AM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
That doesn't seem very good for a game that centers around riding a motorcycle around.
Look at GTA. The driving has always been the worst part of the game and itís possibly the biggest game franchise in the world. I guess you just get used to it. Iím sure after a few hours, Iíll never notice that the big seemed a bit wobbly in the beginning.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Oh, and I know we are all getting used to hearing this, but this is probably the most beautiful game ever created. The level of detail on the world is just astounding. It’s starting to get up there to the levels of those fake The Division 1 levels now.

I almost feel bad for developers right now, because the amount of time it must take to make worlds this detailed must be staggering.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Oh, and I know we are all getting used to hearing this, but this is probably the most beautiful game ever created. The level of detail on the world is just astounding. It’s starting to get up there to the levels of those fake The Division 1 levels now.

I almost feel bad for developers right now, because the amount of time it must take to make worlds this detailed must be staggering.
Not saying they don't work hard. They do, but they use a lot of clever cheats. Division 2 uses plenty. For example, they'll reuse a lot of the same rooms over and over, and just spin their orientation, so they can purely focus on dropping in detail work.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #24
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Really enjoying this game so far. I finally got to sit down and play for a few hours last night. It's your standard open/world survival title for sure, but the zombies are a lot of fun to hunt and are a massive danger in large numbers which is really unlike most any other title out there.

In Shadow of War, you can literally fight a hundred Orcs to death if you pull a couple of big mobs and even if you pull 2 or 3 bosses you can still win.

If you pull a hundred zombies here, you are dead. You aren't going to have the ammo to kill them. Running away is the only option.

It's a nice change.

I have to laugh though... in the zombie apocalypse, who knew that the most valuable item in the world was going to be an empty beer bottle? You need them to make a Molotov, which you need to clear out zombie nests and there is a real shortage of them on the map.

Items do respawn after a time, so you can go back later if you are running short.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #25
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Pros: Mood and Tone. It really does feel like what would happen if someone mixed the Walking Dead with an Open World Survival game, right down to the Crossbow being a starting and versatile weapon for quietly dispatching enemies. After being a literal demigod in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, it does feel nice to be so vulnerable and have to take my time with situations.

Hordes are fun to deal with. As Evil said, a head-on assault is doomed to fail. My first encounter with a Horde was frentic as they were setup in a NERO outpost (place you can clear and turn into a checkpoint), an area setup to pull the hordes into explosive traps. I didn't know what I was dealing with yet but there was a lot of kiting. I have only tackled a couple hordes and enjoy having to use different tactics, such as whittling them down with explosives from hiding. Stumbling into a Horde nest inside a cave was a real "oh SHIT" moment. Grenades lack a bit of oomph and range, but that may change.

Traps matter. Against you and against enemies. Sometimes it takes time to setup, but they are effective.

Deacon's voice actor is *really* good.

Noise management. Enemies aren't as sensitive to sound as I initially thought, but attacking an outpost while a horde of zombies are nearby tends to draw them in and create a bit of chaos. Also useful to sick zombies onto hostile humans.

Cons: Bugs. I have never had a game where the cutscene audio ended up going out of sync with the action, but that has happened over the last several cutscenes.

Aiming. I wish I could aim down sights. The third-person view isn't useful for making tricky crossbow shots.

The bike does take some getting used to driving.

Upgrades seem to come too fast. People say the game is larger than it appears. I hope that's true because the game "feels" small already. I think non-linear game modes are going to do well with this style of game.

--

Overall, this game is worth a play and Bend is a studio worth supporting. I want to see what they can do with this formula and hope for a AC1 -> AC2 / AC Origins -> Odyssey for any sequel. They have a good game here, just not amazing or up to AAA studio standards.

There are mobile games and others that try to do the Zombie Survival thing. This one seems the best so far. So far.
MavenACTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #26
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Overall, this game is worth a play and Bend is a studio worth supporting.
I live in Bend, so I agree!

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Look at GTA. The driving has always been the worst part of the game and itís possibly the biggest game franchise in the world. I guess you just get used to it. Iím sure after a few hours, Iíll never notice that the big seemed a bit wobbly in the beginning.
I dunno the driving in Watch Dogs, as much as I did enjoy that game was worse than even GTA. I don't think one need to get used to clunky controls, or give devs a pass for it when they do it over and over and over again.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #28
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

The new Survival Mode difficulty should make for an interesting challenge. No Survivor Vision for starters, though I wonder how that will work with tracking and other Survivor-Vision based mechanics.

The best part of the game is that shit *will* ambush you because there are no musical cues or overt movement from some of the enemies, like wolves. Hostile survivors will also sneak up on and club you. I had one encounter I lost because I was tracking someone and got ambushed by 6 guys without realizing there were six guys around me. Your proximity radar also does not help in these circumstances.

Hordes are hard to miss, and the music will let you know.

This game is flawed, but what it represents as a series has potential, and I will pay money for flawed potential.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

God, the bugs are killing me. The game does open up after a bit.

There is some serious talent on the team. Snowfall looks great. Soldier's Eyes by Jack Savoretti is this game's Far Away by Juan Gonzalez.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1Eajj...TJSbYnm_PbA0fQ

Last edited by MavenACTG; 05-02-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Old 05-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #30
badclam
Death Knight

Like Normal just late to the party, Day's Gone is a pretty fun game, Reminds me of Horizen Zero Dawn, but in a modern day with Zombie's, IDK, It's a fun Game so far and I guess that's the Big part of it!!!! I'm having fun with it so, it's Money well spent, flaws aside,I'm still having fun,it's a solid 7.5 game even a 8 on a scale of 1-10, it's better than most high end Company's push out these day's, Just saying.
badclam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
days gone