Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Pure Evil - Brightburn!
Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Today 07:51 PM
13 Replies, 748 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Terran
Today 07:06 PM
3 Replies, 506 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by MusicToEat
Today 05:37 PM
15 Replies, 412 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by vallor
Today 01:29 PM
18,463 Replies, 3,329,996 Views
Apex Legends Revenue Has...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 11:49 AM
7 Replies, 523 Views
Star Trek Picard First...
Last post by Terran
Today 09:56 AM
20 Replies, 998 Views
John Wick Defeats...
Last post by Terran
Today 09:52 AM
8 Replies, 803 Views
Terminator Dark Fate...
Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 10:13 PM
35 Replies, 1,597 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34,452
Blog Entries: 20
Game of Thrones Viewers Spot Starbucks Cup in New Episode



Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name,
Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms,
the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt,
the Breaker of Chains, and Drinker of Pumpkin Spice.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34,452
Blog Entries: 20
A little bit of a Monday chuckle!


Which is also a nice segue into a What Are you Watching? thread. I've been mostly watching What We Do in the Shadows with the Mrs and the Orville on my own. (She doesn't much care for that one.)
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,068
The wife and I have still been watching the Game of Thrones trainwreck though last night's episode warmed my heart in a couple of ways by (spoilers) killing off another dragon and that useless assistant whose name I'm not going to bother looking up to spell correctly now. That's about it as far as TV goes now that the Islanders got knocked out of the playoffs.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,285
This last season of GoT really feels like they brought out their B team to handle it. I'm still enjoying it for the most part I suppose but the overall feeling of this season is "wrap that shit up".
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,059
George RR Martin must be laughing his ass off at the HBO garbage fire. Not only does he know what doesn’t work for the final book but he has an easy marketing tagline: the “true” ending to Game of Thrones.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead
 
Orphiuchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,152
The writing in the show has completely gone to shit. In previous seasons a conversation between Tyrian and Varys would have been full of cleaver little insights and allusions rather than outright statement of fact. Now they just repeat themselves over and over as if the writers think the audience is too dumb to pick to pick up on any subtlety whatsoever.
Every character plainly states what they want, how they feel, and what they're about to do.

It's bad fan-fiction written at a 9th grade level. HBO should have yanked control from D&D once they saw their plans. There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season, and the job they're doing of it is embarrassing.
__________________
USMC
Orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,068
To be honest, I think the writing in this show has been downhill ever since the end of season 1. A lot of people like to say that the writing tanked after they ran out of books, and yes it has gotten worse since then. But, aside from the first book/season it wasn't great before that. GRRM writes great sentences but I don't think he wrote an overall great story.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
holysin
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 405
Jeez, if you're going to outright copy someone's twitter post then you should at least link it.
https://twitter.com/ira/status/1125302824634445824
holysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
This last season of GoT really feels like they brought out their B team to handle it. I'm still enjoying it for the most part I suppose but the overall feeling of this season is "wrap that shit up".
Exactly how it feels. Episode 2 was a 'let's all hang around the locker room and talk about the upcoming game while bonding w/each other," episode 3 had its moments but was an almost impenetrable wall of darkness, and last night's episode spent a solid half of the time with more locker room chatter, this time 'after' the big game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season
Except they've filmed the finale and spent the money doing so, thus...

I think the audience wants that closure too. It's been almost two years since the last season. Let's just get this damn thing done.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber
 
Inkabodcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,831
I'm mostly enjoying this season, but I can't give some final review until it's all out. I've also been watching Barry. It comes on after GoT. Starring Bill Hader, season 2 has been extremely hilarious at times. It is a great show, hopefully some of you have heard of it/are watching it.

I have been waiting for American Gods to finish airing so I can watch season 2. Netflix has spoiled my ability to watch shows weekly, doing so with GoT and Barry is rough. Looks like American Gods season 2 is done, so I know what I'll be doing later today.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
walstib
Evil Dead
 
walstib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
To be honest, I think the writing in this show has been downhill ever since the end of season 1. A lot of people like to say that the writing tanked after they ran out of books, and yes it has gotten worse since then. But, aside from the first book/season it wasn't great before that. GRRM writes great sentences but I don't think he wrote an overall great story.
tend to agree it has gone downhill. it has become a soap opera grade series with high production values.

really though it just overstayed its welcome. it didnít need to be 8 seasons.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34,452
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
The writing in the show has completely gone to shit. In previous seasons a conversation between Tyrian and Varys would have been full of cleaver little insights and allusions rather than outright statement of fact. Now they just repeat themselves over and over as if the writers think the audience is too dumb to pick to pick up on any subtlety whatsoever.
Every character plainly states what they want, how they feel, and what they're about to do.

It's bad fan-fiction written at a 9th grade level. HBO should have yanked control from D&D once they saw their plans. There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season, and the job they're doing of it is embarrassing.
What he said. The dragon thing in this episode was embarrassing. It's like they are just doing what it easy. Here's how we can save 50% on CGI for the final episode guys!
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #13
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core
 
KlausFlouride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Raccoon City
Posts: 774
Unless the last two episodes are spectacular this whole season will be mediocre at best. HBO probably left the cup there to deflect from how shitty ep4 was. The whole attack sequence with the dragons was utter shit, the dragons were meant for CAS support like in the last episode.
__________________
Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the whole world together.
KlausFlouride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
George RR Martin must be laughing his ass off at the HBO garbage fire. Not only does he know what doesn’t work for the final book but he has an easy marketing tagline: the “true” ending to Game of Thrones.
What the hell are you guys on about?! The season has been nothing but EPIC. Didn't see the latest, just finished seeing The Long Night. Everything about the season is fucking EPIC. Ok, yes, intrigue time is over because its goddam WAR time now, no more "oooh hoo hoo I'm smarter than you" subterfuge. So what?
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
Unless the last two episodes are spectacular this whole season will be mediocre at best. HBO probably left the cup there to deflect from how shitty ep4 was. The whole attack sequence with the dragons was utter shit, the dragons were meant for CAS support like in the last episode.
What the hell is CAS support? Speak English!
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #16
excalibur1814
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 956
Blog Entries: 1
Episode 3 was fantastic. The Arya Stark bit at the end... wonderful.

I've never known so many people that didn't realise that their TV had settings to increase brightness.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 AM   #17
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 559
They're doing the best they can within the confines of the story. It's impossible to wrap everything up in a 100% satisfying manor, it was always going to feel a little rushed (not half as bad as the final Harry Potter book).

It just feels like people want to complain about...well anything and everything. GOT is still amazing TV and while this season has fallen into a strange rhythm of setup episode -> payoff episode, it is still by far the best show on TV.

The people slating it here are the same people who cream their pants at yet another shitty marvel movie that have been following the same wanky structure for 30 years...very odd.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 AM   #18
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
What he said. The dragon thing in this episode was embarrassing.
I thought the dragon thing they did this episode was one of the best things they've done in a while. It was something that was kind of surprising in a way that really does move the story in another interesting direction.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #19
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber
 
Inkabodcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
They're doing the best they can within the confines of the story. It's impossible to wrap everything up in a 100% satisfying manor, it was always going to feel a little rushed (not half as bad as the final Harry Potter book).

It just feels like people want to complain about...well anything and everything. GOT is still amazing TV and while this season has fallen into a strange rhythm of setup episode -> payoff episode, it is still by far the best show on TV.

The people slating it here are the same people who cream their pants at yet another shitty marvel movie that have been following the same wanky structure for 30 years...very odd.
I mostly agree with you. People here, and everywhere they can type words,(like Forbes and others) want to shit on GoT this season. It's like they've been locked up and waiting for years to have the license to talk shit. If they had really been paying attention, they could have done this since the beginning. It's just that now that it is ending they feel the freedom to let loose. No one cares dudes, talk shit whether it's episode one or 100. Its just tiresome and predictable.


And I have to give Juan props (a person whom I seriously object with about the Alien films) that not only here, but it is a pathogen that has spread to all parts of the world that MCU films can do things and get away with them that other films cannot.

Endgame literally got away with its own "Martha" scene.

Quote:
The two Captain Americas engage in a brutal brawl, which leads them to fall a few floors to the ground, where the past Cap gains the upper hand and begins to choke future Cap. With his fading breath, future Cap whispers, "Bucky is alive!," which throws his 2012 counterpart off his game, and permits future Cap to knock him unconscious with the scepter
Oh but its okay this time. F off, fanboy children. Disney owns so many souls they should change their name to Shang Tsung.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #20
holysin
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
They're doing the best they can within the confines of the story. It's impossible to wrap everything up in a 100% satisfying manor, it was always going to feel a little rushed (not half as bad as the final Harry Potter book).

It just feels like people want to complain about...well anything and everything. GOT is still amazing TV and while this season has fallen into a strange rhythm of setup episode -> payoff episode, it is still by far the best show on TV.

The people slating it here are the same people who cream their pants at yet another shitty marvel movie that have been following the same wanky structure for 30 years...very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I mostly agree with you. People here, and everywhere they can type words,(like Forbes and others) want to shit on GoT this season. It's like they've been locked up and waiting for years to have the license to talk shit. If they had really been paying attention, they could have done this since the beginning. It's just that now that it is ending they feel the freedom to let loose. No one cares dudes, talk shit whether it's episode one or 100. Its just tiresome and predictable.


And I have to give Juan props (a person whom I seriously object with about the Alien films) that not only here, but it is a pathogen that has spread to all parts of the world that MCU films can do things and get away with them that other films cannot.

Endgame literally got away with its own "Martha" scene.



Oh but its okay this time. F off, fanboy children. Disney owns so many souls they should change their name to Shang Tsung.
The writing in this season is just not as good. The reason is obvious. Allow me to quote someone else from somewhere else:

"before they passed up the books, the writers room was largely editing down from a huge set of source material and deciding what translates well into the show.
Now, they have something like an outline to go from and they’re responsible for building this massive story, clearly they’re not up to the task."

And that's the sad reality. If the writing is good enough for you then great, enjoy it. Just dont be fanboys who defend it blindly or else you're no better than the Marvel fanboys you hate.
holysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
game of thrones

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 PM.