Last post by Capt_Thad
Today 11:13 AM
10 Replies, 615 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Fog Rolls into the first Trailer for Stephen King's The Mist

Fear. Human. Nature. "The Mist," from a story by Stephen King, premieres Thursday, June 22nd on Spike.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Not quite as good as Frank Darabont's movie masterpiece, but I'll still be watching.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Oh geeze. I watched this again (I watched it last night on my phone) and I realized that there are no monsters. How lame. I'll probably just let this run in the background when the whole thing comes to Netflix, it sure looks like a totally wasted opportunity.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Grimmbilly
Squire

This must be the new trend, making series out of Stephen King stories. I liked the short story and I liked the movie, but I have zero interest in this series.
Grimmbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmbilly View Post
This must be the new trend, making series out of Stephen King stories. I liked the short story and I liked the movie, but I have zero interest in this series.
I sure like the idea, but turning it from a Man vs Monsters story (where the humans are the real monsters) into a straight up "The Mist drives people crazy." series is just lame. It's an attempt to save money on FX and nothing more.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

This is completely unnecessary since the movie was as good or better than the original story!

Instead, take the novel Skeleton Crew and pick 10 stories from it and just make each episode specific to that.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
This is completely unnecessary since the movie was as good or better than the original story!

Instead, take the novel Skeleton Crew and pick 10 stories from it and just make each episode specific to that.

If they wan something that isn't going to cost a ton of money to make... why not try to turn Maximum Overdrive into a TV series? How expensive can it be to drive cars around in a circle? Certainly it could work.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Look, another upside-down poster thing. Must be the same company doing the Dark Tower marketing.

As for the series? It seems like a lame and tenuous connection for anyone familiar at all with the story or the previous attempts. They could have called it anything, really. I think I'll skip this out of general principle. It doesn't look like it has anything in it I need or even really need to see; just people going crazy and then putting all their money into licensing the story and slapping Stephen King's name on the front. Whoop-di-doo.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Oh geeze. I watched this again (I watched it last night on my phone) and I realized that there are no monsters. How lame. I'll probably just let this run in the background when the whole thing comes to Netflix, it sure looks like a totally wasted opportunity.
The series will feature monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Gone is the grocery store, where residents of a small town take shelter from the beasts outside and unleash the sinister qualities within themselves. The series will be spread out over several lockdown locations, including a church and a mall where hundreds have holed up against the monsters.

“But we are not just in the mall,” Torpe says. “We establish different little pressure cookers under the influence of whoever the leader would be in those locations. Each of them come up with different theories or beliefs about what’s going on. Eventually, the story lines will dovetail and turn into conflicts.”

While the characters grasp for explanations about the monsters in their midst, fans who listen closely to the trailer will hear the name “Arrowhead” mentioned – a reference to a theory proposed by the novella’s characters.
Shit, the final line of the trailer is, "There's something in the mist." There are monsters in this series, both human and otherworldly.

For someone who complains about trailers giving too much away, you sure are quick to knock one that doesn't.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
VideoMike101
Lord

How many times are they going to make this?
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoMike101 View Post
How many times are they going to make this?
At least twice, it seems.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The series will feature monsters.

Shit, the final line of the trailer is, "There's something in the mist." There are monsters in this series, both human and otherworldly.
Well if they finally get to Arrowhead that might actually be something.

If anyone played the Mist game on the Apple II, a painful experience that seemed like you could barely win, then you'll have a lot more context and story.

Maybe it won't be utter shit after all.

What I don't want is 99% crazy people 1% implied monsters. The "Humans are the worst monsters" thing that has been way overdone recently.

I don't think we have to go too far to remind ourselves the Human Race is seriously fucked in the head at the best of times.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
ascl
Developer

I really liked the film, the ending was much improved over the book (IMO). I am unsure how this will work as a series... but will give it a shot.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
Azzy
Cthulian

Well, the novella would certainly work more as a series, as it's ending SPOILER was kind of open ended.
The movie was fucking great, an overlooked favorite that most people don't have the stomach to sit through and deal with.

This series however looks like shit. There is absolutely NO reason to add a head case spin to something that would already be putting people into a head case spin.
The whole point of the story is how people would freak out in such a situation. To take that away and undercut their reaction by making them instead hallucinate or some shit.. no thanks. I haven't seen it so I can't say that it'll do just that but this trailer heavily insinuates mind fuck.
Bleh.
If they had given the first season to the origin and then three more seasons to people figuring out how to live in a new world I'd be so, so on board.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post
I really liked the film, the ending was much improved over the book (IMO). I am unsure how this will work as a series... but will give it a shot.
An interesting note that most people don't catch (I sure didn't) is that the ending to the movie is actually in the Novella. When he takes the gun off the hood of he Jeep in the novella he thinks something alone the lines of "four bullets, but there are five of us". So, they picked up that idea right from the original story.

Tags
the mist