10 Replies, 615 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

AMD Radeon RX 580 and RX 570 Reviews

AnandTech has the goods.

Quote:
To get the elephant in the room out of the way first, power efficiency has taken a noticeable hit with the Radeon RX 580 and Radeon RX 570. AMD has opted to pour everything into performance rather than fighting a war with NVIDIA they can’t win. As a result their performance and their pricing will dictate their success in the market. Otherwise if you need a power efficient card for a mITX build or smaller air conditioning bill, look elsewhere.

Relative to the RX 480 and RX 470 then, the performance gains we’re seeing with the RX 580 and RX 570 are nothing spectacular, but then AMD has kept their promises similarly small. In practice this means that the RX 580 is only averaging 3% faster than the RX 480 it replaces in AMD’s product stack, while the RX 570 looks better, picking up 7% over the RX 470. Based on these numbers, I feel it’s fair to say that while both cards are faster than their earlier incarnations, I wouldn’t fault anyone for lumping the two generations of cards together. The small gains don’t enable the newer RX 500 cards to do anything the RX 400 cards couldn’t always do; though even a few percent can make all the difference in a game right on the bubble of sustaining 60fps.

Looking at the configurations of the cards, I suspect that the RX 580 would really like some more memory bandwidth, which is why the real-world gains are only about half of what we’d expect looking solely at the boost clocks. The RX 470 on the other hand did get a small increase in memory bandwidth, and it ends up being the stronger card for it. However I don’t know if faster memory is a viable option for AMD and its partners, as none of the factory overclocked cards are shipping with overclocked memory.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

AMD is such a joke. Compete you fuckers! Put the money and effort in to actually compete with Intel and Nvidia.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

This is a big fat dud from AMD. It's a new line of straight to the bargain bin space heaters.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Tree Squid
Squire

i am SHOCKED this was even released. What in their right mind's are they expecting for these? Those performance incre-err if you can even call it that is abysmal for a successor. Good god that's just sad, are they really in the game anymore? Are we still going to say that?
Tree Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Relax girls. This was only a refresh. Did you throw the same vitriol towards Intel with Kaby Lake?

The new AMD architecture, Vega, is fast approaching.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/ar...most-human.htm
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

On the plus side, it looks like that with all those fans the card can double as a drone.

Tags
amd, radeon rx 570, radeon rx 580