26 Replies, 1,425 Views
Shadowrun Returns:...
Last post by AlfredT
Today 05:42 AM
2 Replies, 156 Views

Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA Boss Says Mass Effect: Andromeda Got Too Much Criticism, Franchise Could Return

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
The Mass Effect series is one of EA's biggest and best-known series. Its latest version, Andromeda, launched in March and was not as well-received as the previous games. Now, EA boss Patrick Soderlund has come forward to say that Andromeda might have received more criticism than it deserved. He also says he believes Mass Effect series can come back someday, but only if it feels "relevant" and "fresh."

"I usually don't do this, but this is one of those places where I feel like the game got criticised a little bit more than it deserved," Soderlund told GameReactor. "I think the game is actually a great game. Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe we could have done better, absolutely, but as a whole, if you go in and you buy the game today with everything that's in it today, I believe that that's a game worth buying, personally."

Indeed, BioWare improved Andromeda after release with patches that addressed its animations, among other things, and added new content. Multiplayer updates for the game will continue, but BioWare is finished with single-player content. Unlike Mass Effect 1-3, there will be no single-player expansions for Andromeda.

Additionally, Andromeda's developer, BioWare Montreal, has merged with EA's Motive Studios. Despite all of this, and the report that the Mass Effect series is now on "hiatus," Soderlund said he believes the Mass Effect franchise can return.

"For Mass Effect as a franchise, that has such a big fanbase, and you know I've seen people saying 'Oh, EA's not making another Mass Effect'. I see no reason why we shouldn't come back to Mass Effect," he said. "Why not? It's a spectacular universe, it's a loved [series], it has a big fanbase, and it's a game that has done a lot for EA and for BioWare."

"What we need to be careful though of is, whenever we bring Mass Effect back again, we have to make sure that we bring it back in a really [relevant] way, and in a fresh, exciting place," he added. "That's my job, and that's Casey's [Hudson] job, and BioWare and the Mass Effect team's job, to figure out what that looks like, and that we don't know yet, but we will."
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Remember boys and girls, if you phone it in, and expect to get paid, you can always claim that you were unfairly treated after the fact. You know, instead of admitting you were lazy and trying to save money. But psch, who cares about reality anymore.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

"I feel like the game got criticised a little bit more than it deserved..."

If the best he can do in its defense is to say it got criticized "a little bit more than it deserved" then he's implicitly agreeing that it did indeed deserve shit, because it got criticized a ton. And it deserved it.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
dirtbag
El Matador

So where will the 'fresh, exciting place' be? The Magellanic Clouds?
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

If Soderlund believed any of the words coming out of his mouth they wouldn't have killed the studio so soon after the game came out.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Bring back Dead Space first, pleeeeez. That series needs another chance.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

remaster ME1-3. This Andromeda was okay, but it didn't have the feel of the original three.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe we could have done better, absolutely, but as a whole, if you go in and you buy the game today with everything that's in it today, I believe that that's a game worth buying, personally.
Beware the man who goes against the wishes of the paying customer.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Clearly the paying customer is an idiot for not choosing to swallow the crap they were serving on a stick. How PROGRESSIVE to tell people what to want!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
If Soderlund believed any of the words coming out of his mouth they wouldn't have killed the studio so soon after the game came out.
EA Montreal has long been primarily a ports and support studio. There's a reason for that. Renaming it Bioware Montreal doesn't make them a good studio as EA finally realized.

That being said the game was ok for what it was, it could have used far less sjw'ish lines of dialog however.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #11
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post

If the best he can do in its defense is to say it got criticized "a little bit more than it deserved" then he's implicitly agreeing that it did indeed deserve shit, because it got criticized a ton. And it deserved it.
yeah, basically this.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

"We here at EA felt ME:A was so good that we fired all those responsible for its creation and, just last week, also cancelled any future development."
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 AM   #13
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
remaster ME1-3. This Andromeda was okay, but it didn't have the feel of the original three.
I agree with the latter part. No need for a remaster in my opinion, mainly since I tend to dislike them, but Andromeda was ok. Super annoying at times and didn't have the same impact as the original series at all, but not terrible.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
Cranium
Reaper

Remastering 1-3 now would just make the original story look and feel more like Andromeda. Clearly, the animation requirements of the series couldn't keep up with the otherwise updated graphics (textures, materials, polycounts). Everything looks more detailed in Andromeda, but there is no added insight into facial expressions or body movement.

I had a feeling uprooting the ME universe and placing it in an entirely different galaxy was a bad idea to begin with, especially if you try to follow up on any of the original content, which seems to have been the case, and is surely the point of any sequel. The Milky Way wasn't big enough? Pft. Surely the original story wasn't so grandiose as to spend the entire galaxy of any further story potential? I dropped off after the noxious side-kick behavior in the start of ME2, so I really don'tknow (Kanye West continuously spamming "I'm coming!" "I'm coming!" "I'm coming!" when he's doing nowhere near any such thing).

Other than that, they will definetely maybe try to necro the series. I guess a prequel would free them from the future that was destroyed.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
GinRummy
Evil Dead

I had fun with the game. Not quite as much fun as I had with the first three, but nearly. Yes, I agree it got dog piled on, seemingly by a lot of people who didn't actually play it, or by people who don't like that kind of game. Personally, I don't like RTS games, and no matter what classic of that genre that you can name, I will hate it and none of your arguments about how great it is will sway me. But that's me not being objective and I admit that. But the frothing hatred of such extremes as I saw are out of proportion. "Oh, the eyes are just a slight bit out of alignment in some cut scenes: 1/10 rating." Meh.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

"I feel like the president got criticised a little bit more than he deserved," ElektroDragon told Evil Avatar. "I think the president is actually a great president. Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe he could have done better, absolutely."
Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
Remastering 1-3 now would just make the original story look and feel more like Andromeda. Clearly, the animation requirements of the series couldn't keep up with the otherwise updated graphics (textures, materials, polycounts). Everything looks more detailed in Andromeda, but there is no added insight into facial expressions or body movement.

I had a feeling uprooting the ME universe and placing it in an entirely different galaxy was a bad idea to begin with, especially if you try to follow up on any of the original content, which seems to have been the case, and is surely the point of any sequel. The Milky Way wasn't big enough? Pft. Surely the original story wasn't so grandiose as to spend the entire galaxy of any further story potential? I dropped off after the noxious side-kick behavior in the start of ME2, so I really don'tknow (Kanye West continuously spamming "I'm coming!" "I'm coming!" "I'm coming!" when he's doing nowhere near any such thing).

Other than that, they will definetely maybe try to necro the series. I guess a prequel would free them from the future that was destroyed.
I don't even care if they remaster them honestly, I just want the trilogy released on PS4.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Just release the GOTY addition for ME3 with all DLC.

Heck, release the GOTY^3 for ME1-3 in the same package.

Right now for ME3, the DLC costs more than the game.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

ME Game of the Year Edition? FROM EA? Hahaahahaha...nope. No 'profit' in combining all the content into one less expensive package that many more people would buy than they will any of the separate pieces.

Because...EA. That's why.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Varek
Squire

As a big fan of the original games I was dissappointed. The game got a lot of criticism and it deserve to. It was not up to the standards set by the original games. I'm not even talking about the SJW stuff, the graphical crap, the animations etc. My biggest complaint is the story was weak. I can look past graphics, animations, and odd/lame dialog; but when the writing is as weak as it was for this game, i just couldn't get into the characters at all. End result: I played for about 15 hours and got bored. The combat was good but after 15 hours it wasn't enough to keep me playing and with no attachment to the story i just bailed.

I honestly consider Andromeda to be the opposite of the first Mass Effect. That game had weak/awkward combat, but the story was fantastic and I wanted to see what happened next. This one the story was so bad I "walked out of the theatre"

If another one is ever made I really hope they hire some good writers.
Varek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ea games, mass effect andromeda