Today 04:08 PM
9 Replies, 636 Views

Old 01-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The Walking Dead Changes Showrunner Amidst Falling Ratings

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
AMC's zombie drama The Walking Dead is changing showrunners. It has been reported that Scott Gimple will leave the role he has occupied since 2013, and will be replaced by Angela Kang, who has previously worked on the show as a writer.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Gimple will now serve as chief content officer for the Walking Dead media franchise, which also includes the spin-off show Fear the Walking Dead, as well as "gaming and future brand extensions on a variety of platforms." Kang has worked on the show since 2011, and has written over 20 episodes. She will take over at the start of Season 9, which is expected to premiere in the fall.

This change of personnel comes at a time of falling ratings for The Walking Dead. The 7.9 million broadcast viewers of the mid-season finale last month was the lowest number since Season 2's in 2011. This is in comparison to the 10.58 million viewers that watched the mid-season of Season 7 in 2016, and nearly half of what the equivalent episode achieved for Season 5 in 2014.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Those in my family that watch it just feel bored, and most of us only watch it on Sling or something during some downtime. Rick and the King are annoying. The trash-people are weird. I still can't accept that what's her name (the middle aged woman who used to be beaten by her husband) is some badass. I don't feel like the core characters face any real risk. The episodes seem to slowly limp along, attempting to make the most out of what should have been covered in a fifth of it.

Now I've looked up some of the comics, but I was never into them. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more realistic take. I think the idea of enemy factions is needed, as it wouldn't be too difficult to defeat these slow zombies, but it just seems silly as it is. I could buy there being a tyrant like Negan, but the shit they do is generally pretty dumb in my opinion. How is it that they're still insisting on now carrying longer range blunt/sharp weapons to deal with the zombies? I mean, come on.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Moved on from this show after they completed the Governor's story how many seasons ago? Stopped following the comics shortly after Negan killed Glenn. I couldn't say if the show/comics got "bad", they just wore out their welcome. Never bothered with the spinoff because of how cynical it seems.

I'm seeing more people comparing the latest seasons of The Walking Dead to the final season of Dexter.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
DingBat
Evil Dead

Everyone who loves it acts like the guy they got to play Negan was perfect. I only imagine: If I was one of the characters in the show I'd gladly sacrifice myself it if just meant he would Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Negan in the comic wasn't nearly as annoying.

This was the straw that broke this particular camels back.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Just do this shambling corpse of a show a favor and cancel it.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Azzy
Cthulian

The dude who plays Negan is so annoying to watch that I've quit the show.
His constant smirk and staccato delivery coupled with his constant leaning back and jerking upright to make a point bullshit is so one dimensional it won't cast a shadow.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I heard the spoiler about the last season but I've only watched fully through season 7.

I like the Negan character because I think he's exactly the sort of person who would survive at the end of the world. But I can't stand Rick and "Shell Shocked" Rick PTSD stuff or how no one can seem to understand what exactly is going on. I'm tired of the stupid tropes that, after all this time, you'd think they'd have learned. I don't know how these people have survived considering how they can't seem to learn from their mistakes.

For example:
Why don't all the scouting and scavenging teams run around with a defanged Bill and Ted Zombie pair so they can blend in better if a herd comes by? This isn't rocket science, has Michonne bothered to tell anyone? It was pretty clear to the Governor and others how this works and why.

Also:
Dumbass 1: "Hey, we have a truck full of supplies. It's funny but do you know how the last 20 times we've had the good luck to get a nice big cache of supplies like this we always decide to push our luck and end up losing everything so should we go back to base or should we make one last stop? Hehe, how weird! Anyway, what should we do? We're almost out of space."

Dumbass 2: "Even though at this very moment we have more supplies and stuff than we have had for the last 6 months and, as survivors we should try for the better safe than sorry approach let's make ONE more stop at this place that probably has no real chance of having anything valuable at all. I only saw a few walkers."

It gets frustrating to see such stupid, stupid mistakes made over and over by people who should be thinking about survival but missing or failing to adopt clear ace survival techniques.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 AM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

^This kind of stuff and killing off Daryl was why i stopped watching it long ago. Its almost good but ultimately a mess. The writers lack street smarts or common sense and you can see it in the writing.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

It's a good premise and earlier seasons did the survival aspect well but I always got the impression that the reason why I liked the show is not the reason why the writers want me to like the show. I like the survival and they want me to like their poorly acted and written secondary characters. But it did teach me one thing. Apparently gay people are more likely to survive the zombie apocalypse because it seems like they're always running into new gay characters.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
^This kind of stuff and killing off Daryl was why i stopped watching it long ago. Its almost good but ultimately a mess. The writers lack street smarts or common sense and you can see it in the writing.
Uh...Daryl isn't dead.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Now I've looked up some of the comics, but I was never into them. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more realistic take. I think the idea of enemy factions is needed, as it wouldn't be too difficult to defeat these slow zombies, but it just seems silly as it is. I could buy there being a tyrant like Negan, but the shit they do is generally pretty dumb in my opinion. How is it that they're still insisting on now carrying longer range blunt/sharp weapons to deal with the zombies? I mean, come on.
To be fair, "all this time" is only about 20 months, in-setting. Sure, we've had eight seasons worth of content...but its all set over the course of just over a year and a half, so far.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Uh...Daryl isn't dead.
I think he means how Darryl is a shell of his former self.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Unless he meant that other character who recently died and simply used the wrong name.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
The dude who plays Negan is so annoying to watch that I've quit the show.
His constant smirk and staccato delivery coupled with his constant leaning back and jerking upright to make a point bullshit is so one dimensional it won't cast a shadow.
That's a shame. I haven't watched much of the recent seasons, but I remember being excited about Jeffrey Dean Morgan. The writing and casting for the Governor (David Morrissey) was adapted into a better character than the comic originally portrayed. His solo episode was a highlight. Sounds like AMC kept bringing in new showrunners, directors, and writers which left consistency by the wayside.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Meeks
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Wrong Darryl perhaps? Wasn't there a Larry and his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

This series should have ended after two or three seasons. It damn well did FOR ME. At this pace, actors who began their careers on it will be collecting Social Security and using a walker...

...and I mean the 'tennis balls at the bottom of all four legs, aluminum/metal construction,' not 'dead person walking' lol.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
balamoor
Evil Dead

Yeah I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't get Henry Rollins from Black flag to play Neegan...after all that is who the character was created after and he is about as good an actor as Sam and Deans Dad.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
timmyd
Evil Dead

The problem is it feels like it isn't going anywhere. And it's not. So what do they do? Double down on characters and conflicts. Problem is, they have to make the characters more random to support all the conflicts.

In a good show, people act like you'd expect them to unless there's a background.

By now somebody should have collected enough people and heavy weapons to make more of an army. Somebody should have invented a modified street sweeper that cleans up zombies ala The Scoops. If you want to keep to whole OMG zombies going, have the zombies evolve/mutant or simply be the first wave of an attack by someone.

There's so much fun stuff in a zombie universe and we're stuck with this?

The "Commonwealth" stuff might be ok. Or it's a trick to reduce their costs by being able to use everyday locations.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
GodFather
Evil Dead

I love how executive producer (Scott G) before the new season would tout how this season is unlike any other and will blow away the fans, etc.

Yeah the script could be written on the back of a matchbook. This past season thus far is by far the worst to date. Ive actually seen better film on teeth.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
This series should have ended after two or three seasons. It damn well did FOR ME. At this pace, actors who began their careers on it will be collecting Social Security and using a walker...

...and I mean the 'tennis balls at the bottom of all four legs, aluminum/metal construction,' not 'dead person walking' lol.
I think this is why the better zombie stories are shorter; they're either books or movies with a clearly defined beginning-middle-end.

The Walking Dead - in both forms - is suffering because they're running out of compelling things to do with the characters and story. There are only so many times they can repeat the cycle of running into a group of evil people, escaping, finding some semblance of safety only to encounter the next group of evil people.

Tags
amc, the walking dead