Nintendo Will Launch A...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 04:06 PM
20 Replies, 1,362 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

George RR Martin Thinks Next 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Book Will Be Out This Year #GoT

Author George RR Martin said he thinks the next A Song of Ice and Fire book will be out this year, which is what he said last year. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
A Song of Ice and Fire author George RR Martin's propensity for taking ages to release each subsequent book of the series has long since ceased to be a joke for fans. 2016 came and went without the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, but Martin thinks--once again--that this is the year it finally comes out.

On Martin's blog, a fan requested a status update and suggested any statement would placate fans. Martin was more than a little dubious of that claim, responding, "You really think statements like that would make a difference? Ah, you sweet summer child. I have years of experience with this that tells me otherwise. But okay, I will try it your way."

He then offered some glimmer of hope for fans: "Not done yet, but I've made progress. But not as much as I hoped a year ago, when I thought to be done by now. I think it will be out this year."

To properly manage expectations, he punctuated his response by pointing out this isn't the first time he's felt that way. "But hey, I thought the same thing last year," he concluded.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I think he needs to stop eating/drinking his money and bathing in the blood of his characters and should get down to the work of completing his series! Easy for me to say? Yes, it was, but I have the experience of producing a dissertation of hundreds of pages involving hundreds of cited sources, so I'll stand by the comment as valid.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I think he needs to stop eating/drinking his money and bathing in the blood of his characters and should get down to the work of completing his series! Easy for me to say? Yes, it was, but I have the experience of producing a dissertation of hundreds of pages involving hundreds of cited sources, so I'll stand by the comment as valid.
There are a lot of similarities between writing dissertations and epics. But considering I know of Martin's work and none of yours, I'll stick with Martin's timetable.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The only way he will finish that novel this year is if someone puts the typewriter between him and the Cheetos.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Reaper

At this point do his books really matter anymore? My girlfriend practically forced me to read her collection before we got into the show and it was great to already know the HBO characters right from the start. Aside from that his writing style jumps around too much for me to get hooked on more than a few storylines going on among the dozen or so he crams into each book.

Fuckit, if the Winds of Winter is 600 blank pages it will still be the biggest seller of all time.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
At this point do his books really matter anymore? My girlfriend practically forced me to read her collection before we got into the show and it was great to already know the HBO characters right from the start. Aside from that his writing style jumps around too much for me to get hooked on more than a few storylines going on among the dozen or so he crams into each book.

Fuckit, if the Winds of Winter is 600 blank pages it will still be the biggest seller of all time.
I thought the books were fine. The first three were good, the last two were pretty average, but the two "history" novella's he did since then were both great.

The second he stopped trying to do dialogue & scenes and just wrote the history stuff down, it was great stuff. He should just do 300 pages of that stuff.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
I'll stick with Martin's timetable.
Might be a while! Here's hoping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
the two "history" novella's he did since then were both great...He should just do 300 pages of that stuff.
Like The Silmarillion? Man, that was...impenetrably great stuff.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Mad Max RW
Reaper

Quote:
I thought the books were fine. The first three were good, the last two were pretty average, but the two "history" novella's he did since then were both great.

The second he stopped trying to do dialogue & scenes and just wrote the history stuff down, it was great stuff. He should just do 300 pages of that stuff.
Yeah, we have the illustrated World of Ice and Fire history book and there's enough to act as foundations for a dozen great novels. Keep the same format but cut it down to around 3 main characters each. I would be surprised if that wasn't already planned.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Might be a while! Here's hoping!

Like The Silmarillion? Man, that was...impenetrably great stuff.
Martin did a couple of historical novella's.

One on Rogues and one in Dangerous Women. There might even be a third one. They were easy to understand, full of great events (and dragons) and didn't drag along like the books do.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I don't care. I won't buy it when it comes out at this point. I doubt I'll buy any more of his work again.

I have better things to do than race through the book only to wait for another decade for the next installment and know there is at least one more book to go.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Like I keep saying, he will drop dead and Brandon Sanderson will finish the whole series in a year and make it better to boot like he did for Robert Jordan. Hope Martin has written Sanderson into his will. LOL Valar Morghulis
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I don't care. I won't buy it when it comes out at this point. I doubt I'll buy any more of his work again.

I have better things to do than race through the book only to wait for another decade for the next installment and know there is at least one more book to go.
Oh well that's funny, I spent a decade reading all 5 books. I'm finally caught up. I met the fat bastard a decade ago actually at Marcon 2007. Sat right next to him and everything. Got my books signed. Had only read the first book at that point.

But given the quality of the last 2 books, I stick to my opinion: Would not shed a tear if he drops dead and Brandon Sanderson finishes the series for him in 1/10th the time. I'm as cold as a Lannister.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Didn't Martin say that if he were to die before he finished the series that nobody would finish it?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Didn't Martin say that if he were to die before he finished the series that nobody would finish it?
It doesn't matter what you say while you are alive, it only matters what your relatives say after you are dead. I'm sure Harper Lee never expected anyone to publish her abandoned first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird and then her sister died and she became senile and the new lawyer for her estate sold the book for millions.

Same thing would probably happen with Martin. Unless his editors and assistants start feeding his laptops into the furnace the day he passes away, someone will pick up the series and start writing it.

The publisher will make whoever is in charge of the estate an offer they can't refuse.

About the only way you could block that as an author would be to leave all your money to one person with money being conditional that your books & papers are never published. And that would still only last the lifetime of the person you left all that money too -- and they might end up fighting such a clause in court.

If you really wanted to protect your unfinished work after you die -- delete that crap while you are still alive. That way the only thing people would have is whatever you were in the middle of working on.

I imagine after Stephen King dies there will be a huge trunk of old novels left to publish. He says he writes about 10 pages a day of new material and edits about 10 pages a day of old stuff. At this point, that is probably 30 - 50 novels lying around in a trunk somewhere.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
I imagine after Stephen King dies there will be a huge trunk of old novels left to publish. He says he writes about 10 pages a day of new material and edits about 10 pages a day of old stuff. At this point, that is probably 30 - 50 novels lying around in a trunk somewhere.
And they will all probably suck like most of his stuff the last 10 or 20 years has sucked.

Oh, let's add Patrick Rothfuss to the list of "I'll be cold in the ground before he finishes" list. People assume Kingkiller is a trilogy but this is only the first part of the story. Based on the fact there are still about 20 years to go and they only covered 20 in the first book AND they still haven't explained the events of the beginning of the first book and brought resolution there (remember, he's basically been outted and there are dark clouds on the horizon). Well, it's safe to say there's another 2 or 3 books to come. Which means 10 or 15 years IF he goes right back to that story.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I waited like 20+ years for the second novel from Katherine Dunn and then she passed away with the novel unfinished. I was hoping her husband would send it to an editor to clean up and publish, but that hasn't happened.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #17
TafJaf
Subscriber

Quote:
The only way he will finish that novel this year is if someone puts the typewriter between him and the Cheetos.
Ha, jokes on you, he types his shit on a offline dos box, at least according to him on his Conan interview
TafJaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Like I keep saying, he will drop dead and Brandon Sanderson will finish the whole series in a year and make it better to boot like he did for Robert Jordan. Hope Martin has written Sanderson into his will. LOL Valar Morghulis
I was going to bring Sanderson up, too.

While guys like Martin take upwards of six years to write one book, we have Sanderson writing multiple series - practically simultaneously - that span multiple worlds and are yet still part of a greater, overarching story. The killer is that his quality doesn't diminish. His books are consistently good and his flow of content never really slows.

It's a shame he doesn't get more recognition.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I was going to bring Sanderson up, too.

While guys like Martin take upwards of six years to write one book, we have Sanderson writing multiple series - practically simultaneously - that span multiple worlds and are yet still part of a greater, overarching story. The killer is that his quality doesn't diminish. His books are consistently good and his flow of content never really slows.

It's a shame he doesn't get more recognition.
6 years! Thats nothing!

seriously my fav author is david gerrold.. and I think I've been waiting for his last Chtorr book for.. I dunno probably 20 - 30 fucking years lol
Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TafJaf View Post
Ha, jokes on you, he types his shit on a offline dos box, at least according to him on his Conan interview
From his writing pace, I was assuming he was carving the words on stone tables one word at a time.

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones, george rr martin