Last post by HB_IKE
Today 06:54 PM
4 Replies, 494 Views

Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #21
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Hell, the character didn't even exist until TAS; Bruce Timm created her specifically for the series. The reason why she exists in the comics and these movies is because of how popular she was in the animated series.
Pretty much, but you know Jaz the comic expert thinks it's her costume.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hell, the character didn't even exist until TAS; Bruce Timm created her specifically for the series. The reason why she exists in the comics and these movies is because of how popular she was in the animated series.
Which is even more amazing when you think that she was only in about 8 or 9 episodes of The Animated Series. That is how damned popular and memorizing she was.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Which is even more amazing when you think that she was only in about 8 or 9 episodes of The Animated Series. That is how damned popular and memorizing she was.
But but LT, she had no fan base til SS and her tarted up slut Harley costume!!!!11eleventy !!!!😂
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
But but LT, she had no fan base til SS and her tarted up slut Harley costume!!!!11eleventy !!!!��
She actually had the "tarted up" costumes shortly after being introduced in the comics, most especially after the New 52 started. Fans actually disliked the direction, instead preferring her look from the show.

This movie version was more in line with the stuff that a lot of fans didn't like about the character, surprisingly enough.

Quote:
Bruce Timm was really, really good at doing that. He did the same thing with Mr. Freeze, too; he took a joke character that was about to be permanently killed off in the comics and turned him into one of the most beloved villains in Batman's rogues gallery. Timm's version of Freeze was so well liked that DC co-opted it for the comics; they retconned almost everything about the character and essentially turned him into what we saw in the show

The Animated Series was one of the most influential, impactful aspects of Batman as a whole.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The Animated Series was one of the most influential, impactful aspects of Batman as a whole.
This is so true. Loved the Animated series.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #26
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
But but LT, she had no fan base til SS and her tarted up slut Harley costume!!!!11eleventy !!!!😂
This is actually the opposite of true, she had a huge fan base before they started slutting up her costume and most fans hated the "slut" Harley. That version of the character didn't come from the comics OR the TV show, it came from the video game.

It came from Batman Arkham Asylum. DC would later incorporate that version of the character into the comics because those games were massively popular and that was the version of the character that most people were familiar with.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
This is actually the opposite of true, she had a huge fan base before they started slutting up her costume and most fans hated the "slut" Harley. That version of the character didn't come from the comics OR the TV show, it came from the video game.

It came from Batman Arkham Asylum. DC would later incorporate that version of the character into the comics because those games were massively popular and that was the version of the character that most people were familiar with.
Agreed. I was being sarcastic.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #28
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
No. Her popularity was due to the Batman: The Animated Series. Her voice, her outfit, her entire personality that most of us enjoy came from that series. That is why there was a huge backlash when they showed the first images form Suicide Squad because her outfit just made her look like a washed up cheerleader.
I feel like I'm in the bloody twilight zone.

No. Harley Quinn was not a popular character until Suicide Squad. She was a popular character among NERDS, but that's not remotely the point I was making nor does my original post read like I was. I was saying, rightly, that a huge chunk of the characters popularity is her costume.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/harl...re-popularity/

Kevin Smith's daughter Harley Quinn Smith has commented many times on the increase of popularity of the character do to... you guessed it... the Suicide Squad movie. Before 2016 everyone thought her dad was really into Motor Cycles. After 2016 everyone knows exactly who she was named for.

Everyone knows Harley Quinn was a popular character among cartoon fans before Suicide Squad. That is not relevant to the current conversation.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 AM   #29
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
How is what he said sniveling? It sounds like he's shooting down her supposed authority on Harley to me.
Exactly what I was saying, and I don't think it's missable in any way that isn't willful.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #30
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

lets be honest, this movie should be called "suicide bust"

wasted chance at the character, they could have gone with the anti-hero version of her, rather than a slut, who has less dignity now, than when she was dressed in the classic suit getting slapped around by joker.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #31
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

That cartoon is so true. Where I work nearly all the girls dressed up as Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad for the Halloween party. Not a single one of them saw the movie.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #32
LostToys
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=JazGalaxy;2512131]I feel like I'm in the bloody twilight zone./QUOTE]

Of course there is going to be a huge spike when there is a brand new release of something huge, in this case Suicide Squad, but that does not mean that the overall fandom increased due to the film. Her name may be more known in larger circles, but the circles that care about Harley Quinn where not those that cared at all for the film adaptation of that character.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #33
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=LostToys;2512200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I feel like I'm in the bloody twilight zone./QUOTE]

Of course there is going to be a huge spike when there is a brand new release of something huge, in this case Suicide Squad, but that does not mean that the overall fandom increased due to the film. Her name may be more known in larger circles, but the circles that care about Harley Quinn where not those that cared at all for the film adaptation of that character.
I would argue that you were following for a "only a true Scotsman "fallacy. You may say that the people who support a new version of Harley Quinn are not true fans, but their dollars a spin just the same. I would agree with you, if you were saying that the Arleen Sorkin Version of Harley Quinn is the best and only. But unfortunately people like us will be going the way of the buffalo as the new were version to replace her. In this case, specifically, the Margot Robbie version. For many, many people that will be the only version of Harley Quinn. And pretty much any statistics we could pool will say that this version is far more popular than the Batman the animated series version. Not only does the Google trends graph that I posted show that interest and her spikes at the time the movie comes out, but also every Halloween sense. The resting level of interest in the character is about double what it was before suicide squad started promoting itself.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #34
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I, personally, am just fine with the slutted up version of Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.

If they get someone with Elephant Man looks to play Harley Quinn they are welcome to go back to less revealing clothes and full facial masks. Until then the more of this Margot Robbie I get the see, the happier I am.

I'm not afraid to admit it!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #35
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

The problem I have with the Margot RObbie version of HQ is that she's going for this slutty edgy thing, licking the prison cell bars etc. But it doesn't come across as edgy to me. It just feels played out. It's edgy in a sort of manufactured way, like how comedy talk show host's jokes are laughed at only when the "Laugh now" sign lights up for the audience.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #36
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
The problem I have with the Margot RObbie version of HQ is that she's going for this slutty edgy thing, licking the prison cell bars etc. But it doesn't come across as edgy to me. It just feels played out. It's edgy in a sort of manufactured way, like how comedy talk show host's jokes are laughed at only when the "Laugh now" sign lights up for the audience.
I agree.

There is a certain reality that “crazy” in men is seen as a wide variety of things and “crazy” in women is almost exclusively seen as hyper sexuality, in fiction. I like a healthy amount of that. The Daredevil villain Typhoid Mary is one of my favorites. But we have Typhoid Mary. We have Poison Ivy. We have dozens of “I’m crazy and that makes me sexually aggressive” characters. Harley Quinn, in the cartoon, was great because she WASN’T sexy. She was drawn with a sexy firm, but she was so silly that the more she tried to be sexy, the more she came off as goofy. That was something we hadn’t seen before.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #37
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Y'all miss my point. Margot Robbie in Daddy's Little Monster costume is a lot better than Margot Robbie in the jester gear from TAS.

Crazy hyper-sexualized that goes with it? Meh. But if you're going to put someone like Margot Robbie in a movie; let's not use the jester burka.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #38
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Harley Quinn, in the cartoon, was great because she WASN’T sexy.
Totally.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #39
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Totally.
That's from Batman and Harley Quinn, which came out in 2017. It's not from the animated series.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's from Batman and Harley Quinn, which came out in 2017. It's not from the animated series.
Didn't realize we were exclusively talking about the animated cartoon from 20 years ago, regardless of how the movie is very much a spinoff from it.

Tags
harley quinn