15 Replies, 1,078 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Transylmania
Yesterday 01:29 AM
6 Replies, 704 Views

Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #41
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

I've always found that PPCs are one of the most effective weapons in any Mechwarrior game. The fact that they add to stability damage and hit like a truck makes them hard to outvalue on a ranged support. My fire support units all carry at least one PPC and a series of either LRMs or large ACs. Knockdowns are probably the biggest equalizer in this game, so getting an enemy on their ass ASAP is a priority for me.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #42
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
I found out a way to get more money is to salvage mechs and sell them. I got the 5 million credits achievement tonight.

I haven't found it to be extremely hard, maybe I have been lucky with the opponents the game gives me. My current lance is a dual ppc/lrm15 Orion, a stock Orion, one medium laser + PPC hunchback and another stock hunchback. I removed some weapons in order to make room for more armor and they are tough. If all my lance shoots at a 75 ton battlemech, it's over for him.
A big part of my problem seems to be the equipment I have available. The most significant chassis I have unlocked so far are Dragons/Kintarios/Griffins. For salvage I've gotten Quickdraws but not much beyond that.

PPCs and LRM15s are in the sphere of doable but no LRM20s, no gauss so far, without great Mechs being creative in 40 - 55 tons is tough...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #43
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
A big part of my problem seems to be the equipment I have available. The most significant chassis I have unlocked so far are Dragons/Kintarios/Griffins. For salvage I've gotten Quickdraws but not much beyond that.

PPCs and LRM15s are in the sphere of doable but no LRM20s, no gauss so far, without great Mechs being creative in 40 - 55 tons is tough...
I managed to get a Jager out of the prison mission. I had it running ++ on all it's AC's but it's got the shittiest armor in it's default build. If you can't keep it at range it falls apart. I managed to get a Dragon as well. So going into the Ammo capture mission it was Jager, stock Dragon, Trebuchet with ++ LRM 15's and a Centurion with ++AC10. Barely pulled it off having to refit all but the Trebuchet but lost Glitch in the process. ><
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #44
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

PPC's and AC alone should be able to get you through the early missions, like I said what I did alot was do a story mission, do all the side missions still on that same planet (usually a couple) and often do a couple other side missions in between the next story mission since the story missions are generally hefty pay outs.

I too struggled early, but I dunno if I lucked out with salvage or it's just how I play, (very carefully, focused fire, using cover pips and evasion ALWAYS if possible) the early game was difficult sure but not the impossible situation you seem to be having and I'm sorry to hear it because the game really is that good as is the story. Sorry to see you struggling and in turn enjoying it less ya know?
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #45
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
I managed to get a Jager out of the prison mission. I had it running ++ on all it's AC's but it's got the shittiest armor in it's default build. If you can't keep it at range it falls apart. I managed to get a Dragon as well. So going into the Ammo capture mission it was Jager, stock Dragon, Trebuchet with ++ LRM 15's and a Centurion with ++AC10. Barely pulled it off having to refit all but the Trebuchet but lost Glitch in the process. ><
I got a Jager from that same mission and used it for a while after with 2 AC10+ on it until I got some bigger mechs, and yeah the armor was shit obviously but keeping it in the back as a sniper support mech helped a ton. Now that I'm done with the campaign I'm doing contracts for House Davion trying to raise my rep with them in order to do higher end missions for them. That's another thing I love about this game is even after you're done the story they open up the rest of the house controlled areas around where the campaign takes place and you can then do contracts for them.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #46
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

My most successful config so far has been a Centurion with 2 LRM 10 ++ (+stb and +crit) and an LRM15++.

My double PPC Shadow Hawk Sniper has been a hit (haha!) too but is a meat factory. I churn through mechwarriors in it since I dumped all the armor and it is basically a walking (jumping) target but of all the other mechs I have in my arsenal at higher tonnage (griffin, quickdraw, dragons, kintaros, Blackjack, Vindicator) nothing else seems to be working.

I am still failing over and over. I am not sure how I got into 3+ skull missions with my performance. The RNG in the game is very frustrating.

The only saving grace is I can sometimes exploit the AI by taking out their jump capable mechs then kite the ground-bound mechs around mountain ranges and using sensor lock spam and try to pick them off but that is painfully slow and risky.

It has led me to be forced into devoting at least 2 tons of every mech to jump-jets and almost every mechwarrior I have is a tactician/<something else> because I can't go on a mission with less than 3 sensor locks. I know at least one will probably die to a crit/lethal headshot and I'll lose another to some other incredibly lucky shot on the part of the AI (or something incredibly stupid on my part, to be fair).

The difficulty spike patch can't come fast enough.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #47
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

I just lost my pilot in an undamaged Jagermech to a kick to the shins. What even is this damage modeling?

On a side note, do not sacrifice armor for weapons. Every one of your mechs should be running no less than 75% of max armor, though you can skimp on rear armor since if you play right you should never be fired on in rear arc. You do no damage when you're dead, so glass cannons are a liability in this game.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #48
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
My most successful config so far has been a Centurion with 2 LRM 10 ++ (+stb and +crit) and an LRM15++.

My double PPC Shadow Hawk Sniper has been a hit (haha!) too but is a meat factory. I churn through mechwarriors in it since I dumped all the armor and it is basically a walking (jumping) target but of all the other mechs I have in my arsenal at higher tonnage (griffin, quickdraw, dragons, kintaros, Blackjack, Vindicator) nothing else seems to be working.

I am still failing over and over. I am not sure how I got into 3+ skull missions with my performance. The RNG in the game is very frustrating.

The only saving grace is I can sometimes exploit the AI by taking out their jump capable mechs then kite the ground-bound mechs around mountain ranges and using sensor lock spam and try to pick them off but that is painfully slow and risky.

It has led me to be forced into devoting at least 2 tons of every mech to jump-jets and almost every mechwarrior I have is a tactician/<something else> because I can't go on a mission with less than 3 sensor locks. I know at least one will probably die to a crit/lethal headshot and I'll lose another to some other incredibly lucky shot on the part of the AI (or something incredibly stupid on my part, to be fair).

The difficulty spike patch can't come fast enough.
I was a bit annoyed with losing Glitch so i went back to the save before that mission. Then I went back out to the periphery, there are missions on those worlds but they dont come up in your list unless you visit them. For some reason the game will only show you Restoration faction missions that cover travel. Difficulty was a lot lower and i was able to complete salvage on a Thunderbolt and an Orion. It might be worthwhile for you to go out there just to level up pilots. Lower skills can bring down the power of a mech significantly. Right now I'm running Highlander, Awesome, 2x Orion and alternating pilots on the lower difficulty missions and their is a huge difference in effectiveness between my 9,8,8,7 pilots and my 6,5,5,6 pilots.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #49
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I finally got to the mission which awarded me assault mechs. I got the Highlander from the mission award and was very careful to carve chunks out of a Battlemaster so I could claim 3 pieces of it as salvage. I was like "Yeah, this is going to turn things around for me!"

Annndddddd..... the very next mission instead of fighting 45 - 60 ton mechs all the mechs were 60 - 75 tons (2*Orions, 2*Thunderbolts, 1*Catapults, and 1*Quickdraw + 2 demolisher tanks and 1 of the 60t tanks I forget the name).

I'd love to be able to afford to trawl the Periphery at 40k C-bills per hop looking for lower difficulty contracts but as it stands now I almost always go into battle with damaged mechs I can't afford to fully repair and mechwarriors with morale so low it couldn't be worse if I shot their dog in front of them.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #50
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I want to add that I'm still finding enough game in here to have some fun, obviously, but it is swaddled in a big ton of shit and overhead which strips out a lot of the joy.

I don't expect to be able to jump into the middle of 4 other mechs and survive getting my shit getting blown away but I would like fights to be fair. I can't remember the last time I had a fight that was ANYWHERE near my weight class of (now) about 350 tons.

As with the above example I was running a Highlander, Battlemaster, Shadow Hawk (I put all the armor back on), and Griffin for about 360 tons. Just the TANKS were 240 tons. I get absolutely shredded no matter how conservatively I play; it is unavoidable. The player is ALWAYS rocked back on their heels. ALWAYS against 2 if not 3 or 4 times their tonnage. I've fought whole groups of pilots who have 3 initiatives in 80 ton mechs! I have one person who can do that and it took focusing almost all his skill points to get that +1 initiative skill!

There's a game here, and when it is firing off properly it is fun. But I tell everyone I meet "You'd better like slow games (in performance and playing) and you'd better LOVE table top Battletech and reloading your game a lot." Because if they don't they aren't going to make far in this game.

The first half-dozen missions? Sure, but there's a trigger in there somewhere that once it gets flipped you are screwed buddy! Warm up those save and load buttons!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #51
ashikenshin
Subscriber

finished the game yesterday. Lots of fun while playing but I have no desire to fire it up again after the main story ended. I overprepared for the final mission with two atlas and two highlanders and completely annihilated everything in sight.

I didn't find it hard even though i had to reload a bunch of times because of first turn unlucky deaths from RNG.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #52
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I want to add that I'm still finding enough game in here to have some fun, obviously, but it is swaddled in a big ton of shit and overhead which strips out a lot of the joy.

I don't expect to be able to jump into the middle of 4 other mechs and survive getting my shit getting blown away but I would like fights to be fair. I can't remember the last time I had a fight that was ANYWHERE near my weight class of (now) about 350 tons.

As with the above example I was running a Highlander, Battlemaster, Shadow Hawk (I put all the armor back on), and Griffin for about 360 tons. Just the TANKS were 240 tons. I get absolutely shredded no matter how conservatively I play; it is unavoidable. The player is ALWAYS rocked back on their heels. ALWAYS against 2 if not 3 or 4 times their tonnage. I've fought whole groups of pilots who have 3 initiatives in 80 ton mechs! I have one person who can do that and it took focusing almost all his skill points to get that +1 initiative skill!

There's a game here, and when it is firing off properly it is fun. But I tell everyone I meet "You'd better like slow games (in performance and playing) and you'd better LOVE table top Battletech and reloading your game a lot." Because if they don't they aren't going to make far in this game.

The first half-dozen missions? Sure, but there's a trigger in there somewhere that once it gets flipped you are screwed buddy! Warm up those save and load buttons!
It's not always that way, you could run the same side contract 10 times and get a different enemy load out EVERYtime. That's how the game does things. I've had missions with 4 assaults where I only face a light a couple heavies and an assault, I've had missions with those same 4 assaults where I'm tasked with assaults, tanks, and reinforcements. Some are ridiculously easy, some I have to be on my game for.

I'm not sure why you've struggled more than most here anyway, I'm just sorry to see it, because really I love the game and just can't stop putting hours in when I should be asleep.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #53
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Btw if you have an Nvidia card the latest drivers have been a major improvement.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #54
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Quote:

I think it's just your early struggles that are making the end game hard for you. The Highlander you get from the one story mission is an absolute beast that can easily shred mechs of the same weight class, and one shot Medium/Light mechs. It also seems you may not have enough "tank" pilots to weather the beatings. The unique skill that gives you 50% damage reduction on turns where you don't move is basically the best skill in the game after the time of medium mechs passes. The damage reduction from that skill is so much more reliable than Evasion charges once you start dropping only heavy mechs
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #55
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Found this on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #56
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Found this on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun article.

LOL RPS generally are a bunch of whiny bitches but that's pretty good.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #57
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

There's also a beta 1.03 patch that helps the stuttering especially on mech destructions tremendously just an fyi.

Tags
battletech, paradox interactive