Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Spider-Man PS4 DLC The...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:35 PM
18 Replies, 1,069 Views
Hitman 2 Elusive Target...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:13 PM
4 Replies, 105 Views
Red Dead Redemption 2...
Last post by LostToys
Today 07:19 PM
3 Replies, 122 Views
Mutant Year Zero: Road...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:09 PM
1 Replies, 99 Views
Soulcalibur VI Launch...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:02 PM
0 Replies, 91 Views
Battlefield V Single...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:55 PM
26 Replies, 1,790 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 05:39 PM
2,616 Replies, 318,616 Views
Six years later, Star...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Yesterday 05:23 PM
33 Replies, 2,951 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #21
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
This. The overwhelming levels of negative bullshit generated on this site is tiresome. The press getting a free copy of the game and a goodybag does not make them corrupt, it's just a perk of the job.

Over the years every one us finds a couple of review sites that we tend to agree with and value their reviews. Of the ones i trust, I can't honestly say i've ever noticed a spike in certain review scores that I seriously thought was the result of the publisher paying.
As MetalJesus has said, Sony (and other companies) has been doing this for a while now.

So my question would be - if it has 0 bearing on reviewer's scores, why would Sony continue to send things like cheese and $100 bottles of wine and a cutting knife? Or massive, elaborate collectors editions, or any other goodies that are "just perks of the job" if there's no benefit to Sony? Does Sony just think that game reviewing is hard work, and they have a big heart? It's a humanitarian outreach to games journalists?

At the very least, it must be "working" in Sony's mind or they wouldn't continue to do it. Nor would any other company.

It many not influence all reviews, but it's baked into the foundation of human empathy to want to reward kindness with kindness. I have to imagine, even subconsciously, it ends out swaying some reviewers a bit. I just doubt companies like Sony would continue to do it if they didn't think they were getting some kind of proven benefit from it. Wouldn't getting a free/early copy of the game be enough reason to review the game? Not only that, in 2018, no games media outlet is going to elect to not review a game like God of War. If they ignored big titles like that, they'd lose their base of readers.

Just seems a bit goofy to me. Are lobbying dollars and lobbying gifts "just perks" when it comes to law making? Zero impact on laws and legislation?
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
This. The overwhelming levels of negative bullshit generated on this site is tiresome. The press getting a free copy of the game and a goodybag does not make them corrupt, it's just a perk of the job.

Over the years every one us finds a couple of review sites that we tend to agree with and value their reviews. Of the ones i trust, I can't honestly say i've ever noticed a spike in certain review scores that I seriously thought was the result of the publisher paying.
This sort of topic only comes up when it comes to a major game; clearly, all of the reviews for the latest entry in an extremely popular series with both fans and critics are bought and paid for.

No one ever talks about the hundreds of games that receive fair-to-middling scores or the ones that are absolutely ravaged by the press. It only comes up with major titles or when someone disagrees with the score(s). "I've watched all of the trailers for this game and it totally only looks like a 7/10, not an 8/10. BOUGHT AND PAID FOR REVIEW!"
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #23
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,539
I'm sure these perks can work on occasion or maybe even often. Getting something like this can be really fun and it can put you in a good mood before you sit down with the game. I can't tell you how many times I know I enjoyed a game or album more because I got it for Christmas (which I love) or I was in some great mood when I picked it up. Your disposition and mood matter when you start forming your opinion on anything. Sure they're not the only factors but they can certainly affect the final verdict greatly. Of course it's up to the reviewer to do their best to separate any of these biases from the verdict but that can't be all that easy since we're basically asking them to express their feelings and not just facts and figures when judging these games. Of course I suppose it can work in reverse too. If these gifts are crappy or the reviewer is jaded by receiving so many of them over the years, it can probably ruin the mood a bit. But in the end, I don't think any of it matters all that much unless the reviewer is flat out being paid cash for good scores.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #24
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,331
You are all adults on this site. Or the majority of you are. I am pretty sure at this point you have reviewers or sites you generally trust. You should be able to determine if a game is likely good or worth playing pretty readily.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
So my question would be - if it has 0 bearing on reviewer's scores, why would Sony continue to send things like cheese and $100 bottles of wine and a cutting knife? Or massive, elaborate collectors editions, or any other goodies that are "just perks of the job" if there's no benefit to Sony? Does Sony just think that game reviewing is hard work, and they have a big heart? It's a humanitarian outreach to games journalists?
They do it because you get 20-30 games a week...and they are just trying to grab the reviewers attention. God of War has a massive marketing budget, so they can go overboard with the fluffy stuff... This is especially true when you are someone like RollingStone, USAToday, Wired or something more broad where they may have to review albums, movies, laptops, stereos, etc... and games are just a part of their site. They know it's not going to sway a review one way or the other, they just hope it will get more than a few sentences mention in the tech section.
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
I've loved all of the God of War games. I've never considered any of them 10/10 games. I'll be getting this on day one continuing to kick butt as Kratos. I'm glad that they are switching the game style up a little. Even if this game was reviewed and got 6/10 I'd still get it and play it.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I've loved all of the God of War games. I've never considered any of them 10/10 games. I'll be getting this on day one continuing to kick butt as Kratos. I'm glad that they are switching the game style up a little. Even if this game was reviewed and got 6/10 I'd still get it and play it.
Exactly. The pedigree of god of war has been established even if 3 was a bit exhausting it was over the top fun. It was outrageously violent and about kicking some deity ass. Hell that part where you have to totally destroy hermes I'll never forget just how fucking brutal the series is.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
You are all adults on this site. Or the majority of you are. I am pretty sure at this point you have reviewers or sites you generally trust. You should be able to determine if a game is likely good or worth playing pretty readily.
Naw, man. They're all bought and paid for...unless I agree with the score or happen to be a fan of the game/series.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This sort of topic only comes up when it comes to a major game; clearly, all of the reviews for the latest entry in an extremely popular series with both fans and critics are bought and paid for.

No one ever talks about the hundreds of games that receive fair-to-middling scores or the ones that are absolutely ravaged by the press. It only comes up with major titles or when someone disagrees with the score(s). "I've watched all of the trailers for this game and it totally only looks like a 7/10, not an 8/10. BOUGHT AND PAID FOR REVIEW!"
Exactly.

And the format for giving away the game isnít always even advantageous to the reviewer. What was that game that sent out itís press kits buried in a ton of raw meat that was supposed to look like human guts? Resident Evil or something? Or that time Nintendo sent over a squadron of middlingly attractive women to stand there and watch you play?

I donít think anyone can fault developers from wanting to present their game in the best possible light.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,643
True. All the scores from the likes of IGN and Gamespot are absolutely well thought out and don't ever seem shifted upwards towards AAA titles. And even if they were (which they've never appeared to be) it wouldn't matter at all because you can get more balanced reviews elsewhere for yourself individually. It won't shape the games industry at all.


Anyway, speaking of "news", anyone going to post a news thread about Billy Mitchell getting his Donkey Kong scores pulled from Twin Galaxies?
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #31
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
True. All the scores from the likes of IGN and Gamespot are absolutely well thought out and don't ever seem shifted upwards towards AAA titles. And even if they were (which they've never appeared to be) it wouldn't matter at all because you can get more balanced reviews elsewhere for yourself individually. It won't shape the games industry at all.


Anyway, speaking of "news", anyone going to post a news thread about Billy Mitchell getting his Donkey Kong scores pulled from Twin Galaxies?
I think gamespot's wavered ever since square black listed them after kayne and lynch. Not to say all their reviewers haven't rated shit games well but after that they went luke warm.

I think it really comes down to the reviewer. Only site that was worth a damn is long gone. Think they went to a youtube format.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
saulob
Subscriber
 
saulob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Well, from what I've seen this game looks top notch.

I just wish it was coming to PC.
Me too. Any God of War...
__________________
iam: Saulo Benigno
saulob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #33
Exodus
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Winter is coming.
Posts: 2,499
I'll tell you what is bothering me though. From all the footage the only thing I see kratos is using is the axe. Where the fuck are all the cool awesome weapons? Hell when I got the nimion lion gauntlets I didn't think I could like the game any more than I did!
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #34
Cranium
Reaper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 171
Appreciate them trying to do something new with the franchise and develop the main character, but this "Kratos" really, really doesn't feel like the same individual I played in the previous games. If they truly wanted to take artistic chances and go in new story telling directions, they might have made it a new franchise about a legendary warrior and his son, but that'd be too big a financial risk I guess.

As it stands, this setting feels tacked on to me, and Kratos was always about an over-the-top godlike warrior accomplishing the impossible, not an increasingly down-to-earth pappy and his puppy. Might work for some fans I guess, but to me its like watching the sequel of a cherished movie where the cast has changed (e.g. Robocop sequels) - its neat enough though sacrilege, but never the same level of involvement. Don't plan to play it. RIP the God of War. Always was a successful Rygar reimagination at its core anyway.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #35
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
Appreciate them trying to do something new with the franchise and develop the main character, but this "Kratos" really, really doesn't feel like the same individual I played in the previous games. If they truly wanted to take artistic chances and go in new story telling directions, they might have made it a new franchise about a legendary warrior and his son, but that'd be too big a financial risk I guess.
He's not supposed to be the same Kratos, really. This one is set years after the previous ones, so some level of change and/or development should be expected. From a storytelling standpoint, there's only so many times you can revisit the same generic rage of the previous titles before things start to get stale. After a while, watching Kratos growl, scream and fist fuck some god's throat got a little old.

Quote:
As it stands, this setting feels tacked on to me, and Kratos was always about an over-the-top godlike warrior accomplishing the impossible, not an increasingly down-to-earth pappy and his puppy. Might work for some fans I guess, but to me its like watching the sequel of a cherished movie where the cast has changed (e.g. Robocop sequels) - its neat enough though sacrilege, but never the same level of involvement. Don't plan to play it. RIP the God of War. Always was a successful Rygar reimagination at its core anyway.
This is the first God of War title to even remotely pique my interest in years. After the first two, I dropped the series because they all started to look and feel like the same game with a fresh coat of paint. This new one may not feel quite as "authentic" to the series but fuck, at least it's something new.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #36
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
Appreciate them trying to do something new with the franchise and develop the main character, but this "Kratos" really, really doesn't feel like the same individual I played in the previous games. If they truly wanted to take artistic chances and go in new story telling directions, they might have made it a new franchise about a legendary warrior and his son, but that'd be too big a financial risk I guess.

As it stands, this setting feels tacked on to me, and Kratos was always about an over-the-top godlike warrior accomplishing the impossible, not an increasingly down-to-earth pappy and his puppy. Might work for some fans I guess, but to me its like watching the sequel of a cherished movie where the cast has changed (e.g. Robocop sequels) - its neat enough though sacrilege, but never the same level of involvement. Don't plan to play it. RIP the God of War. Always was a successful Rygar reimagination at its core anyway.
I think it can go both ways. I think a big tonal shift can make a series better by contrast. Zelda 2 and Mario 2 are two of my favorite games because of how different they are. I think that's partnof why majoras mask is so popular as well.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #37
Cranium
Reaper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 171
Yeah, not arguing that the series wasn't getting stale. Lost interest after 2 also. Just arguing the character development doesn't feel genuine. Probably reading too much into the whole thing, but I guess I feel like Kratos wasn't the "happy ending" type of family character. After whatever combat rampage he was on I'd expect him to either become a true "God" in the Graeco-Roman sense, or find some tragic ending, like being ursurped by the next great warrior once his skill was no longer unsurpassable. Retirement in the woods wasn't where I'd dream he'd end up - didn't figure he had that level of calm in him - but hey. Doesn't bother me, just doesn't excite me.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #38
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
...but I guess I feel like Kratos wasn't the "happy ending" type of family character. After whatever combat rampage he was on I'd expect him to either become a true "God" in the Graeco-Roman sense, or find some tragic ending, like being ursurped by the next great warrior once his skill was no longer unsurpassable. Retirement in the woods wasn't where I'd dream he'd end up - didn't figure he had that level of calm in him - but hey. Doesn't bother me, just doesn't excite me.
I read somewhere that you need to think William Munny from Unforgiven.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
Cranium
Reaper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
I read somewhere that you need to think William Munny from Unforgiven.
https://i.imgur.com/ZsIyWoD.jpg
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #40
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 33,028
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulob View Post
Me too. Any God of War...
PC.... HaHaHaHaHaHa.

It would be neat if Sony did the PS4 and PC thing that Microsoft is doing, but given that their system is the best selling system this generation and that they have a plethora of exclusives in development to drive even more people to their platform it doesnít seem like a likely idea for them.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
god of war

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.