Yesterday 07:39 PM
18,096 Replies, 2,772,266 Views

Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Xbox Scorpio Won't Have Exclusive Games Except for VR Titles #XboxScorpio #Xbox

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Microsoft announced a new console, called Project Scorpio, at E3 this year, and it promises to be much more powerful than the Xbox One. Microsoft also announced that after the console is released, new games will come to both. But one of the main points of confusion around the announcement was whether or not the Scorpio would get exclusive games. In a new interview, Head of Xbox Marketing Aaron Greenberg clarified Microsoft's policy, saying that while Microsoft won't publish exclusive games on the Scorpio, VR titles are exempt from this policy.

Some of the confusion arose because Microsoft announced that the new console would be VR compatible, which the Xbox One is not. In an interview with Engadget, Greenberg explained that Microsoft does not view this as a contradiction in policy.

"We said we're not going to have console-exclusive games for Project Scorpio. It's one ecosystem--whether you have an Xbox One S or Project Scorpio, we don't want anyone to be left behind, Now, with the power and capabilities we have, we'll be able to do high-fidelity VR. Now, that space, we don't think of that as console gaming, we think of that as high-fidelity VR, and so with the VR experiences those will be new things that you will get on Project Scorpio."
Read on.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I can clear up the confusion for anyone who doesn't 'get it.'

MS will make exclusive to Scorpio exactly as much as makes corporate sense to do so, for their bottom line, period. If it made sense to dump the One tomorrow and run with Scorpio, they would do it. Any other promises are worth bupkis. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Ingenting. 아무것도.

There. All cleared up!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

MS will abandon the Xbone the second the Scorpio is launched, like they did with the 360. It doesn't make any sense for them to try to support two platforms at once. As soon as the install base seems large enough, you will quickly find developers that are begging MS to make "Scorpio exclusive" games.

Sure, that won't happen the first day because no developer (except Respawn... Haw, Haw, Titanfall we are looking at you) is dumb enough to launch their game on a console with a tiny install base.

The second someone thinks that the install base is large enough, there will be no more Xbone games and people who purchased the system are going to get left behind.

Now, don't think Sony will be doing anything different with the Neo. The only real difference is that Sony has sold about twice as many systems as MS, so they are going to kinda want to hang onto those customers a little longer than MS will need to.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Eats
Developer

It really depends on a lot.

Install base obviously, but really what is more important at this point is the disparity in power between the two consoles.

If we can build a version of Road Redemption for xbone scorpio and then build another version on the base xbone in less than a week of additional work, then we probably will. That is the start and end from the perspective of developers.

We don't really care about console wars or whatever, it is just ease of porting and guaranteed revenue for exclusivity. That is it.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
MS will abandon the Xbone the second the Scorpio is launched, like they did with the 360. It doesn't make any sense for them to try to support two platforms at once. As soon as the install base seems large enough, you will quickly find developers that are begging MS to make "Scorpio exclusive" games.

Sure, that won't happen the first day because no developer (except Respawn... Haw, Haw, Titanfall we are looking at you) is dumb enough to launch their game on a console with a tiny install base.

The second someone thinks that the install base is large enough, there will be no more Xbone games and people who purchased the system are going to get left behind.

Now, don't think Sony will be doing anything different with the Neo. The only real difference is that Sony has sold about twice as many systems as MS, so they are going to kinda want to hang onto those customers a little longer than MS will need to.
The VR-exclusive thing is only part of the story.

Firstly, Microsoft is using some double-speak when they talk about exclusive titles; they're officially not releasing any exclusive console titles for Scorpio...because they don't view high-fidelity VR as "console gaming". It's their bullshit way of saying they're still going to be supporting One.

The most important part - and this is key to pretty much everything moving forward - is that Phil Spencer sees this as the last official console generation. Instead, the future looks a lot more like PC gaming.

Quote:
Greenberg: I think it is. ... For us, we think the future is without console generations; we think that the ability to build a library, a community, to be able to iterate with the hardware -- we're making a pretty big bet on that with Project Scorpio. We're basically saying, "This isn't a new generation; everything you have continues forward and it works." We think of this as a family of devices.

But we'll see. We're going to learn from this, we're going to see how that goes. So far I'd say, based on the reaction, there appears to be a lot of demand and interest around Project Scorpio, and we think it's going to be a pretty big success. If the games and the content deliver, which I think they will do, I think it will change the way we think about the future of console gaming.
Microsoft's approach going forward is going to be more frequent hardware releases with titles that will work across multiple hardware releases. Much like with mobile or PC hardware, not having the latest-and-greatest will lock you out of certain experiences...but you also won't need the latest-and-greatest to play every new game.

This is the bigger deal, to me. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, considering one of the only advantages consoles have at this point is the closed hardware environment that, up until now, didn't require frequent upgrades or additional purchases. Sure, they're not as powerful...but that's the cost you pay for the no muss, no fuss experience they provide.

Frequent iterations of hardware could be a good thing...if it's priced with the consumer in mind. The only reason this approach works with mobile hardware is purely because we have cell phone carriers who either subsidize the cost of the phone or simply allow customers to make small payments on the devices with each bill. Something tells me Microsoft isn't planning on doing either of those things.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Windows 10... Universal apps/applications across the platforms.

Hopefully.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This is the bigger deal, to me. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, considering one of the only advantages consoles have at this point is the closed hardware environment that, up until now, didn't require frequent upgrades or additional purchases. Sure, they're not as powerful...but that's the cost you pay for the no muss, no fuss experience they provide.
The 'plug and play, no muss, no fuss' aspect of console gaming has been dead for years. That can be traced directly to consoles moving online, something that they had to do but which also opened up post-release patching and that whole can of worms.

Consoles are now simply crippled PC devices. You can't do with them anywhere near what is possible on a PC, while having lost several of their biggest advantages with the advent of online access.

Sad, really.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Total bullshit. Twice the teraflops of the PS4, and it won't have any exclusives? Who in their right mind believes that?

It's a trick statement, it only means that games will also come to the PC, not the Xbox One.

OR it means MS will require all games to have some sort of lame baseline VR support (like it can display on the googles) to get around their BS.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Does this apply to 3rd party publishers or is MS always technically the "publisher" irrespective... if not then it will only apply to 1st party MS titles?
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Total bullshit. Twice the teraflops of the PS4, and it won't have any exclusives? Who in their right mind believes that?

It's a trick statement, it only means that games will also come to the PC, not the Xbox One.

OR it means MS will require all games to have some sort of lame baseline VR support (like it can display on the googles) to get around their BS.
It's doublespeak; they're not counting the VR titles as "console games", which is how they're able to say they're won't be any "console game" exclusives for Scorpio.

There will obviously be Scorpio-only VR games...but they'll simply label those as "VR experiences" instead of "console games". For the time being, at least.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
mixuk
Reaper

MS will win nothing by ditching the xbone early. If there are people willing to buy games on the platform, you bet they will support it. That's how they make money, not by hardware sales.
mixuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
Does this apply to 3rd party publishers or is MS always technically the "publisher" irrespective... if not then it will only apply to 1st party MS titles?
Based on the article, only Microsoft will not publish titles which are exclusive to Scorpio. This would not preclude someone else from doing so.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, xbone, xbox one, xbox scorpio