Last post by Exodus
10-16-2018 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,618 Views

Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Xbox's Project Scorpio Is Designed To Win Back Developers

Quote:
Microsoft has said Project Scorpio, its new high-end version of Xbox One, is designed to "win developers back." Speaking to Eurogamer, corporate vice president of Xbox and Windows gaming Mike Ybarra said it wants to foster a relationship similar to the one it had with developers during the Xbox 360's life.

"The team looked back at developers and the developer relationship we have," he said. "With Xbox 360 we had the absolute best platform for developers, [with Xbox One] we sort of lost that in a two-year time-frame, so we said how do we win the mind-share of those developers back?
Via GameSpot
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

So, they want to win back the mind-share of developers...virtually all of whom are making multiplatform games and have been doing so since the 360 was dominant? It's not as if the PS4 has had a sudden influx of exclusives; the libraries between the two consoles are virtually identical.

Hell, it's not even a case of really needing the Xbox One to be the lead platform, given the similarities between the two boxes.

The biggest takeaway from this - for me - is this little tidbit:

Quote:
The decision to release a new, more powerful version of the Xbox One was also influenced by the hardware iteration model established by the mobile phone industry.

"When you think about phones, for example, consumers are buying phones more frequently than we've ever seen," Ybarra explained. "[Consumer] expectation of technology is they no longer need to wait for it, it's immediately there in front of them and they expect all of their content to flow across those devices, too.

"And so when you see people buy phones, their apps just download and they just keep going and it works seamlessly for them. Same with 4K TVs. 4K TVs are one of the biggest holiday items this past year. People are expecting this new technology faster than I've ever seen and when you think about the console business, that's kind of in conflict to that, because it's like here's a console and for the next five to seven years, you're on that physical box."
Like I've feared, they're moving toward a model that emulates the mobile market...which ultimately only works because of carrier-subsidized payment plans and discounts. I do like the direction of making software compatible/transferable across multiple iterations...but updating hardware every year or two is the quickest way to get me to abandon consoles.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Juan
Evil Dead

The only thing that matters that Sony has that MS don't is better games.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

The more and more MS queues the Scorpio up as an incremental upgrade to the XBox One S, the less and less I'm likely to get it (and this coming from someone who loves bleeding edge hardware). The Xbox One --> One S upgrade was easy for me to justify: 4k support. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I don't see the same business case to upgrade yet again within what is now being touted as the same generation, just something more powerful that developers can get all hot and bothered over.

Unless it translates into something real, something noticeable in the gaming experience that I can see in my environment (i.e. native 60FPS doesn't mean anything where 30FPS works for my old eyes/brain), then I'll stick with the One S and pocket the $500 I've got squirreled away for this holiday season.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
hotdrop
Soul Reaper

Microsoft doesn't understand mobile at all. Upgrade cycles have slowed down a lot, people are happy to use their old iPhone 5 and nexus 5 phones because they are good enough. The primary driver for phone replacement is carrier subsidies and wear (phones crack, fail etc). New phones are actually shittifying and not creating any meaningful improvements. Upgraded Xbox will help complete with ps pro but without exclusive games that don't suck I don't see how they regain market share. PS4 has some good exclusives that give them a leg up over X1. There really doesn't need to be a lot exclusive games to choose one system over another. Two to Three great exclusive games is all it takes to choose one over another
hotdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I've been waiting for this to jump onto the XBOX One platform. Can't wait to see what games they announce at E3 in a few months!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdrop View Post
Microsoft doesn't understand mobile at all.
Truth. Evidence? Windows phones/Nokia. Failure.

Quote:
Upgrade cycles have slowed down a lot, people are happy to use their old iPhone 5 and nexus 5 phones because they are good enough.
True. As an example, Apple has seen several quarters of mixed sales data (declines, increases) after continual increases in sales. Troubled waters ahead.

Quote:
The primary driver for phone replacement is carrier subsidies and wear (phones crack, fail etc). New phones are actually shittifying and not creating any meaningful improvements.
True. Samsung sold exploding phones. Apple sold phones without an audio jack because...progress! lol. Also, as carriers slowly phase out contracts with phone subsidies (which they are doing) the drive to upgrade is more immediately expensive to the customer, shying them away from doing so.

And I agree with the rest of your post as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I've been waiting for this to jump onto the XBOX One platform. Can't wait to see what games they announce at E3 in a few months!
Just hope that everything you like is not canceled down the line or delayed by several years. Personally, I like the idea of the Scorpio because it means higher quality games will make it to the PC. I don't need the Xbox One anymore for exclusives as all exclusives going forward are going to be compatible with he PC platform. In fact, I may just pack up my Day One Edition of the Xbox One and be done with the platform altogether.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Funny, Square-Enix's president just did an interview and announced they are shifting more development resources to Switch.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Like the mobile market if your device is good enough in your opinion, then you don't need to upgrade. I don't see anything wrong with this. Being able to play natively in 4k is worth it to me, and if it can hit 60 fps often enough I would be quite pleased.

Phone subsidies aren't really a huge thing anymore when now you end up just paying the full cost of the phone in monthly payments on top of no real discount in phone plan. So the raping is all the ways.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's not as if the PS4 has had a sudden influx of exclusives; the libraries between the two consoles are virtually identical.
I can't really agree with this. Just in the last 3 months PS4 has had Yakuza 0, Horizon, Neir: Automatica, and Persona 5. All games I would've bought on Xbox if able, but had to buy on PS4.

Xbox has had Halo Wars 2.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I can't really agree with this. Just in the last 3 months PS4 has had Yakuza 0, Horizon, Neir: Automatica, and Persona 5. All games I would've bought on Xbox if able, but had to buy on PS4.

Xbox has had Halo Wars 2.
One quarter of solid releases doesn't make up for the fact that the two libraries are largely identical.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
One quarter of solid releases doesn't make up for the fact that the two libraries are largely identical.
Yeah! X1 got Halo Wars 2, they are getting the Voodoo Vince remake. The Phantom Dust remake... the um... Crackdown 3 is scheduled for this year. I think it may make it... Sea of Thieves is like in alpha.

And then there's um, some arcade titles like Cuphead. And... um... but it beats "Uncharted: Has Every Character Had Enough Screen Time Yet?" Amirite?! Haha!

IT'S ALL IN THE VIDEO !!!

http://gametransfers.com/shannon-lof...lease-in-2017/

Also, every time Major Nelson says "State of Decay" it sounds like he's saying "State of the Gay". It could be a drinking game. Or maybe that's just me.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:56 AM   #14
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Definitely. While I don't plan to go through both catalogues and get exact numbers, as a day 1 owner of both, it's certainly always felt like PS4 has had more exclusives. Sure, the majority of the games, maybe 85% are the same, but that's what makes consoles stand apart isn't it? The exclusives.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:57 AM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

One big developer already backs this up by stating just how much they're working on the Scorpio. Square Enix.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

As Dan Aykroyd said in Tommy Boy, "You have identified the problem, the next step is washing it off."
Old 04-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
As Dan Aykroyd said in Tommy Boy, "You have identified the problem, the next step is washing it off."
Great line.

Square Enix is great at poor decisions. I wouldn't get too whipped up on what they are doing. They are just hoping to capitalize on Nintendo seeming to be popular with the Switch. They will jump ship once they aren't making money like all 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms. Ubisoft does the same shit all the time. Even EA to a lesser extent. They may have finally learned their lesson.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #18
Judas
Evil Dead

RROD, Ads on the Dashboard in 4K. Sign me up for $699.00
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Great line.

Square Enix is great at poor decisions. I wouldn't get too whipped up on what they are doing. They are just hoping to capitalize on Nintendo seeming to be popular with the Switch. They will jump ship once they aren't making money like all 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms. Ubisoft does the same shit all the time. Even EA to a lesser extent. They may have finally learned their lesson.
The GBA, DS and 3DS beg to differ; they all had extremely strong third-party libraries.

Tags
microsoft, project scorpio, scorpio, xb1, xbone, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one