11 Replies, 984 Views
Disney's Dumbo Trailer...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 08:02 PM
13 Replies, 1,139 Views

Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #21
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

This is still surprising... Here on Long Island, I feel like more people I know have Xbox One's than people have PS4's. Maybe it is just the group of people I've run into...

I have a PS4 and I love it. I won't be getting an Xbox this generation the way things are looking.

That being said, the last Tomb Raider was a pleasant surprise. Very good game. I hope to check out the new one when it gets released on other platforms.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo has been playing catch up ever since, and had MS not stumbled out of the gate the way they did With the One, it would have been the 4th generation of Nintendo being dead last in hardware sales console wise. That eventually catches up to a company in the long run. If Nintendo did not have it's hand held sales to rely on, it likely would have already caught up to them.
I know the WiiU hasn't sold very well...but how many other times have they ended "dead last"? The N64 and Gamecube both sold extremely well (beating out both Sega and Microsoft in their respective generations) and the Wii absolutely crushed everyone in terms of hardware sales...so, where are the four complete failures?

You're clearly not talking about things like "attach rates" and "copies of games sold"...you're strictly talking about hardware, which is something they've sold plenty of over the years. The WiiU is, by and large, a failure; we get it. How can you honestly say they've failed for the past three generations as well?
Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I know the WiiU hasn't sold very well...but how many other times have they ended "dead last"? The N64 and Gamecube both sold extremely well (beating out both Sega and Microsoft in their respective generations) and the Wii absolutely crushed everyone in terms of hardware sales...so, where are the four complete failures?

You're clearly not talking about things like "attach rates" and "copies of games sold"...you're strictly talking about hardware, which is something they've sold plenty of over the years. The WiiU is, by and large, a failure; we get it. How can you honestly say they've failed for the past three generations as well?
The gamecube didn't outsell the playstation or original xbox. The N64 was really the start of their downward trend. That's just reality. I still have an N64 somewhere, the ol gang had a blast playing things like split screen golden eye and the old WWF No Mercy WCW vs NWO titles. But that console never got broken out even back then for anything other than drunken fun nights.

When you get to the point that all the 3rd party publishers have practically no interest in porting a sku to your system, you're left with first party titles that in typical Nintendo fashion are few and far between. That's not going to push hardware except to the diehard Nintendo folks like yourself.

I never said they outright failed, but a continued trend of finishing dead last in hardware sales isn't a long term healthy trend. Eventually they'll either go the route of Sega or just bow out.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
I never said they outright failed, but a continued trend of finishing dead last in hardware sales isn't a long term healthy trend. Eventually they'll either go the route of Sega or just bow out.
Except Nintendo nearly always manages to turn a profit, even in the generations that they were last (the wiiu being the exception). What does it matter being last if you're making money? The gamecube sold around 22 mil, the original xbox 24 mil, but microsoft lost money and nintendo made money. They may have been "dead last", but they were still better off.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Okay, who's turn is it for the chicken or the egg rebuttal?
There is no rebuttal, Ubisoft was by far the STRONGEST supporting 3rd party publisher for the Wii U early on.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #26
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I'd say go PC, but I despise U-Play. Seriously, fuck that piece of shit.
UPlay is great. So was GFWL.

Yeah, I'm the village pariah.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #27
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

They need to hire me over at Nintendo because I know exactly what will make the NX a success.

1) Most powerful hardware.
2) Strong and continued 3rd party support.
3) Introduction of a brand new unified, account-based metascore system like Trophies/Achievements, not those dumb stamps.
4) A true portable account system.
5) A controller based on the Gamecube's with best elements from the DS4.
6) ALL Virtual Console games available DAY ONE and ALL for 99 cents each.
7) BluRay and DVD playback and wide streaming app support DAY ONE.
8) Don't put Wii in the name, and no waggle.
9) Video camera and microphone, plus a headset included in the box.
10) Youtube video sharing day one. And Twitter screen cap sharing.

And there you have it, a recipe for market dominance.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #28
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
Except Nintendo nearly always manages to turn a profit, even in the generations that they were last (the wiiu being the exception). What does it matter being last if you're making money? The gamecube sold around 22 mil, the original xbox 24 mil, but microsoft lost money and nintendo made money. They may have been "dead last", but they were still better off.
Right and the only reason they turn a profit is because their hardware is simply under powered, which is also a con for them.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #29
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The gamecube didn't outsell the playstation or original xbox. The N64 was really the start of their downward trend. That's just reality. I still have an N64 somewhere, the ol gang had a blast playing things like split screen golden eye and the old WWF No Mercy WCW vs NWO titles. But that console never got broken out even back then for anything other than drunken fun nights.
While I'll concede that the Xbox outsold the Gamecube, much of the Xbox's uptick was due to Halo 2 and Xbox Live; the Gamecube had it outpaced for quite a while, if memory serves (which it apparently isn't, so take it for what it's worth). My urge to drudge up sales figures from a decade ago is pretty low, so I'm relying on memory.

They still carried decent third-party support that that point and made money with their console; being outpaced wasn't detrimental to their overall viability, but it was the generation where they decided the hardware arms race simply wasn't worth it.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #30
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Right and the only reason they turn a profit is because their hardware is simply under powered, which is also a con for them.
The GameCube was plenty powerful compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The N64 was also more advanced than the PS in areas too. The SNES was generally more powerful than the Genesis as well. It's the Wii and Wii U that have been underpowered compared the competition and the Wii was a massive success. So using underpowered hardware only bit them this generation. Every time Nintendo comes up, you seem to equate the fact that you don't like Nintendo with the idea that they've been getting a beating in the marketplace every generation. The Wii U is the first system that hasn't been pretty profitable for them and they're still making a profit overall as of May this year. Is Nintendo invincible? Of course not. But your constant proclamations of doom hardly seem accurate.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #31
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
The GameCube was plenty powerful compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The N64 was also more advanced than the PS in areas too. The SNES was generally more powerful than the Genesis as well. It's the Wii and Wii U that have been underpowered compared the competition and the Wii was a massive success. So using underpowered hardware only bit them this generation. Every time Nintendo comes up, you seem to equate the fact that you don't like Nintendo with the idea that they've been getting a beating in the marketplace every generation. The Wii U is the first system that hasn't been pretty profitable for them and they're still making a profit overall as of May this year. Is Nintendo invincible? Of course not. But your constant proclamations of doom hardly seem accurate.
QFT

Companies Inception: September 23, 1889 (roughly as old as MS and Sony combined)
Year they got into video games: 1974
Year they started making their own video game hardware: 1977

They're not invincible, but they've always done very well up until the Wii U, and as you said, the company is still making profit. I'm pretty sure the NX will do just fine, and they'll continue the hardware game for as long as the set top console industry is around.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #32
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

The thing is that I have plenty of complaints about Nintendo over the past couple of generations. I do actually miss the days when they made a nice standard game console without any gimmicks. But I have to admit that their gimmicks do actually pay off at times, sometimes in industry changing ways. And I can't argue with their general success financially. Is their direction always my favorite? No way. But it has, for the most part, worked pretty well for them. The day they stop making their own consoles will be a sad one for me because, like it or not, Nintendo always has a distinct style that makes playing their games feel special.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #33
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
The thing is that I have plenty of complaints about Nintendo over the past couple of generations. I do actually miss the days when they made a nice standard game console without any gimmicks. But I have to admit that their gimmicks do actually pay off at times, sometimes in industry changing ways. And I can't argue with their general success financially. Is their direction always my favorite? No way. But it has, for the most part, worked pretty well for them. The day they stop making their own consoles will be a sad one for me because, like it or not, Nintendo always has a distinct style that makes playing their games feel special.
Same here. Even just from a quality control and polish standpoint. Their games are so gameplay focused. I didn't like the Wii myself. The motion controls felt like an annoyance. (I prefer the Wii U to it even), but I do want them to take their IPs and challenge the competition again. Their purple lunchbox was a hell of a system.

I heard "industry leading chips" with NX. We'll see what happens.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #34
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Nintendo hasn't been known for solid third part support since the SNES era. If you think otherwise you are wrong.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #35
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Nintendo hasn't been known for solid third part support since the SNES era. If you think otherwise you are wrong.
Ahhh, lol. My turds clear up acne. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #36
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Have you tried that? Could work. Give it a shot, post some pictures!

On second hand, give it a shot, do NOT post pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #37
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Have you tried that? Could work. Give it a shot, post some pictures!

On second hand, give it a shot, do NOT post pictures!
It works great. The "secret sauce" ingredient is last night's broccoli and cheese casserole.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #38
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Every generation after the SNES they never had better 3rd party support. Even with the Wii being a success hardware sales wise only a few 3rd parties really had any kind of success. The rest tried to jump onto that systems undeserved success.

The fact that you are blinded by your Nintendo lust doesn't change the fact that every generation since the SNES they never lead in 3rd party support. So yes, you are wrong if you believe otherwise.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Every generation after the SNES they never had better 3rd party support. Even with the Wii being a success hardware sales wise only a few 3rd parties really had any kind of success. The rest tried to jump onto that systems undeserved success.

The fact that you are blinded by your Nintendo lust doesn't change the fact that every generation since the SNES they never lead in 3rd party support. So yes, you are wrong if you believe otherwise.
He knows he's wrong he just doesn't care. At some point be it with the NX or a console or two if they make it that far, after the NX, Nintendo is either going to need to compete specs wise or they'll have nothing but a few first party games and that will be the end of them doing consoles.

And like I said at that point the blind Nintendo fanboys will be going "what happened? muh poor Nintendo!"
Old 11-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #40
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
And like I said at that point the blind Nintendo fanboys will be going "what happened? muh poor Nintendo!"
I don't believe that these "blind" Nintendo fanboys (that you like to bring up) actually exist. I think the people you're referring to simply like Mario, Link, Pikachu or even Bayonetta enough to not care about the lack of everything else, kinda like some people love "Battlefield" but don't care about "Call of Duty" or vice versa. To be totally honest, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not owning a Wii U, because I just know that I would enjoy "Pikmin 3", and I'd love to try "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker". Therefore, I am looking forward to the NX and hope Nintendo does it right. Strong specs, a standard controller and maybe mandatory cross-play with a detachable handheld system with one screen would definitely make me get one right away, as a gift to myself.

That said, you're right about Nintendo's falling out with third-party publishers. Manufacturing N64 cartridges was prohibitively expensive, and those COGs posed a big risk. Then, the GameCube came out using miniDVDs (1.5 GB) instead of standard DVDs, forcing developers to either use multiple discs (RE4), again increasing COGs, or outright scrap big projects. And the Wii... oh well, I think we all see the difference between 1080p and 480p and can imagine the hassle of porting games that then get shat on ("Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop" comes to mind).

To (somewhat) get back on topic: I heard a rumor just the day before yesterday that not even Ubisoft had received any (or maybe just not enough) NX dev kits so far. Take that for what it's worth, a rumor, but if it's true, that doesn't sound encouraging...

Tags
ps4, ubisoft, xbone