Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 08:02 PM
13 Replies, 1,139 Views

Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Xbox Hardware and Game Sales Drop 9% Year-Over-Year

Quote:
Microsoft has some catching up to do: Xbox and gaming revenue fell 9 percent year-over-year in the second quarter of 2016, the company revealed in its latest earnings statement.

Microsoft is attributing the decrease in revenue to declining console purchases and the cheaper price of the current Xbox One. This equated to a $152 million decrease during its fiscal fourth quarter. Microsoft could be aiming to liquidate current stock as the slimmer Xbox One S is about to hit stores. During E3, Microsoft also unveiled Project Scorpio, a new, more powerful and VR-capable console that’s set to launch sometime next year. This too could also be the reason why some are waiting to buy a new system.

The Xbox One has seen a troubled life. While outpacing its predecessor, the Xbox 360, in sales, the Xbox One has had some marketing gaffes. Most notably, the launch edition of the Xbox One was $100 more expensive than Sony’s PlayStation 4 and came bundled with Kinect. The motion tracking accessory failed to capture imaginations, and Microsoft quickly dropped it from the system.
Via Digital Trends
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

I was an avid Xbox gamer, but no longer. Loved the original Xbrick (and it was a brick, lol...built really well), had a ton of fun on the XtraCrispy (that's the 360, whose RRoD was a gigantic pain in the ass, but I stuck with them through it). The XB1 is another matter. I'm just not interested. Same freaking games (what was new in 2005 is getting old and tiresome in 2016), incomplete BC (console hardware is a dead end), software is more expensive than on the PC and it's almost all multiplatform anyways, have to pay for online play, and their whole launch was a debacle to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I was an avid Xbox gamer, but no longer. Loved the original Xbrick (and it was a brick, lol...built really well), had a ton of fun on the XtraCrispy (that's the 360, whose RRoD was a gigantic pain in the ass, but I stuck with them through it). The XB1 is another matter. I'm just not interested. Same freaking games (what was new in 2005 is getting old and tiresome in 2016), incomplete BC (console hardware is a dead end), software is more expensive than on the PC and it's almost all multiplatform anyways, have to pay for online play, and their whole launch was a debacle to begin with.
Same goes for me. I bought the Xbox, and went on to buy the 360, and over 100 games for it. I've had zero interest in the XBO, or the PS4 for that matter. I do miss not being able to play the latest Forza games (but some form of that series is coming to the PC).

The PS4 has Uncharted, but I can't justify buying that console just for that game.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The XB1 is another matter. I'm just not interested. Same freaking games (what was new in 2005 is getting old and tiresome in 2016), incomplete BC (console hardware is a dead end), software is more expensive than on the PC and it's almost all multiplatform anyways, have to pay for online play, and their whole launch was a debacle to begin with.
To be fair, virtually all of these complaints could be said about the 360, as well.

The backwards compatibility was far from complete (and further progress was entirely abandoned a couple years into it's life). The software was more expensive than any of the PC ports, which became a huge factor a couple of years into it's life. Most of the games were multiplatform and you still had to pay for online play.

It's not like Microsoft really changed their approach all that much between the 360 and the One.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Time to get out of hardware and just release their games on other systems, rite guys?!
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Time to get out of hardware and just release their games on other systems, rite guys?!
hehehe No, you don't understand, it just needs the more graphics. That's the measuring stick for buying a console. And it also needs half baked PC functionality. I'd buy that year after year and expect nothing else or nothing different. How else am I going to play AAA Game: Remaster or 24th Sequel - The unpatched edition. I also fully support the commoditization of the industry, where everything is the same except the brand. I enjoy my hobby like I do armchair politics. Pick a side and root for it like a football team.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's not like Microsoft really changed their approach all that much between the 360 and the One.
Exactly. That's ultimately the problem, isn't it!?! Same old same old. Gears 4. Forza 6. Halo 5. Rinse and repeat.

Yawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

I have one, i got it cheap. Used games are cheaper than the PS4. I keep loading up Forza 6 hoping it will click with me but its really not a good game at all.

I did just pick up Fallout 4 for 20$ new. Game is too hard, i like it though, ill just have to low level grind for a while. I plan on spending some time with it.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Exactly. That's ultimately the problem, isn't it!?! Same old same old. Gears 4. Forza 6. Halo 5. Rinse and repeat.

Yawn.
Microsoft should get out of the hardware business, go 3rd party across all platforms. Oh wait, they probably are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
hehehe No, you don't understand, it just needs the more graphics. That's the measuring stick for buying a console. And it also needs half baked PC functionality. I'd buy that year after year and expect nothing else or nothing different. How else am I going to play AAA Game: Remaster or 24th Sequel - The unpatched edition. I also fully support the commoditization of the industry, where everything is the same except the brand. I enjoy my hobby like I do armchair politics. Pick a side and root for it like a football team.

But Nintendo needs to go 3rd party... Interface innovation is the only way forward imo. Video games are stagnant to everyone except 13-15 year olds.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It also needs "mature" games. You know, the games that 13 year old boys find edgy. Not these stupid games that 11 year olds like.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microsoft, xbone, xbox, xbox one