Yesterday 07:47 PM
7 Replies, 275 Views

Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Hunger Games prequel movie in the works with Mockingjay Director

Quote:
The Games continue.

Following past teases, the Hunger Games franchise is officially getting a prequel movie based on author Suzanne Collin's forthcoming novel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Lionsgate formally announced Tuesday.

Francis Lawrence, who previously helmed Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence (no relation) in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Parts 1 and 2 of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, will return to direct the new film. Collins herself will adapt the screenplay with one of the Catching Fire screenwriters, Michael Arndt.

Donald Sutherland portrayed the authoritarian President Snow across the first four movies, which circled the nation of Panem and its savage annual affair wherein two teenaged "tributes" from each of the 12 Districts were chosen at random to fight to the death in a brutal arena. Katniss Everdeen, played by Lawrence in the films as a young woman from the impoverished District 12 who survived the games and fought to overthrow this tyrannical regime, was the focus of Collins' earlier books. But The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes follows a younger Coriolanus Snow at the age of 18.

Years before he becomes the president of Panem, Snow is picked to be a mentor for the 10th annual Hunger Games. Elation turns to disdain when he realizes the female tribute he's assigned hails from District 12. Nina Jacobson, who produced all of the previous Hunger Games movies, returns to produce this prequel with Brad Simpson.
Entertainment Weekly.

I really enjoyed the first book and the first movie. After that they were pretty much crap. You can usually tell when an author never planned for sequels.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You can usually tell when an author never planned for sequels.
Yup. It's called "fantastic beasts" and it's available next to genuine Pokemon products nationwide!

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls. Outside of that audience, I don't quite get the popularity. The first wasn't terrible but the main character just wasn't likeable. Or maybe it was just the acting that was bad. And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls. Outside of that audience, I don't quite get the popularity. The first wasn't terrible but the main character just wasn't likeable. Or maybe it was just the acting that was bad. And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
In the book the character isn't really any more likeable than in the movie.

It's funny you say that though, because I just finished watching DEVS on Hulu and while the story was interesting, pretty much every character in the show is an unlikable twat who you really don't care about.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
I recommend watching Silver Lining Playbook w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper. Looks like a typical chick flick...but it's not...and fucking excellent if you wanna see Jennifer act in an interesting and real role.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
GinRummy
Evil Dead

I love Donald Sutherland.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls.
My teen-age daughter loves them, so, if it makes her happy, I'm all for it.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I recommend watching Silver Lining Playbook w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper. Looks like a typical chick flick...but it's not...and fucking excellent if you wanna see Jennifer act in an interesting and real role.
I agree. She very much deserved the awards and accolades from Silver Linings. Then she had to go piss it all away in Mother
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Azzy
Cthulian

I completely agree. The second book still had some zest and ideas but the third was so horrible that I threw it in the trash so nobody could borrow it from me. I'm a book nerd and I've never thrown a book away before. It was horrible.

I feel bad for the children and teens and such that have had so little exposure to real entertainment that they'll blindly follow an IP even well after it's proven to be wasteful of their time, much less their money. I'm also looking at you Star Wars people.
And you Predator People.
And you, again, Star Wars People.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:38 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I appreciate the recommendation MJ. It's on our watch list now.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I completely agree. The second book still had some zest and ideas but the third was so horrible that I threw it in the trash so nobody could borrow it from me. I'm a book nerd and I've never thrown a book away before. It was horrible.

I feel bad for the children and teens and such that have had so little exposure to real entertainment that they'll blindly follow an IP even well after it's proven to be wasteful of their time, much less their money. I'm also looking at you Star Wars people.
And you Predator People.
And you, again, Star Wars People.
In the defense of Star Wars, much of the side content - books, games, comics, etc - was actually better and more enjoyable than the movies themselves. Lucasfilm under Disney may have bungled the main movies, but a lot of the other stuff has been pretty great.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Eats
Developer

Quote:
I think it is just because the first one wasn't even bad. Then they just rode that popularity and pumped out raw sewage for the rest of them and now this prequel that will also be garbage.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
In the defense of Star Wars, much of the side content - books, games, comics, etc - was actually better and more enjoyable than the movies themselves. Lucasfilm under Disney may have bungled the main movies, but a lot of the other stuff has been pretty great.
Didn't Lucasfilm bungle the main movies long before disney got involved?

The most recent movie was the worst of all of them though, imo. Maybe it would be better if George Lucas had just made a trilogy all about NSYNC being jedis.

I thought the first 2 of this new trilogy were passable. Better than Hunger Games.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Didn't Lucasfilm bungle the main movies long before disney got involved?
The prequels get a bad rap, but I never minded them.

Quote:
The most recent movie was the worst of all of them though, imo. Maybe it would be better if George Lucas had just made a trilogy all about NSYNC being jedis.

I thought the first 2 of this new trilogy were passable. Better than Hunger Games.
I mostly enjoyed TFA, and TROS gets a pass in my book for having to carry the story on after TLJ; they had absolutely nothing to work with, and had to do something to wrap up a trilogy that was effectively shut down with the middle installment.

TLJ would have worked best as a Star Wars-like movie, in the vein of Galaxy Quest or The Orville with relation to Star Trek. As a Star Wars movie, it was awful.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Orson Scott Card's "Thrawn" Star Wars books were amazingly good. They kinda started off a whole bunch of others, some better some not. And on the games side, the X-wing and TIE fighter games rocked, and KOTOR was genius.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Orson Scott Card's "Thrawn" Star Wars books were amazingly good. They kinda started off a whole bunch of others, some better some not. And on the games side, the X-wing and TIE fighter games rocked, and KOTOR was genius.
Those were by Timothy Zahn, not OSC.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Those were by Timothy Zahn, not OSC.
Dang it, my bad. I like Zahn a lot even though he's not done a lot lately. Not sure how I brain farted credit to Card. I knew it sounded wrong when I wrote it.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Dang it, my bad. I like Zahn a lot even though he's not done a lot lately. Not sure how I brain farted credit to Card. I knew it sounded wrong when I wrote it.
It happens!

Zahn is one of the better EU/newEU authors they use.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
The prequels get a bad rap, but I never minded them.

I mostly enjoyed TFA, and TROS gets a pass in my book for having to carry the story on after TLJ; they had absolutely nothing to work with, and had to do something to wrap up a trilogy that was effectively shut down with the middle installment.

TLJ would have worked best as a Star Wars-like movie, in the vein of Galaxy Quest or The Orville with relation to Star Trek. As a Star Wars movie, it was awful.
Agree on all fronts here. Also I remember really enjoying the Thrawn series back in the day. I have the latest one on my shelf but I haven't read it yet. Star Wars still has a lot of potential. It just needs to be in the right hands and they need to stop trying to make a Star Wars that appeals to everyone. Just make it Star Wars and let the fans that like it spend their cash.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
The prequels get a bad rap

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunger games