Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Liberals gone wild
Last post by vallor
Today 01:36 PM
6,930 Replies, 1,532,236 Views
Gov overreach.
Last post by PacerDawn
Today 11:49 AM
165 Replies, 4,387 Views
EA goes Crawling back to...
Last post by stalazon
Today 11:28 AM
12 Replies, 594 Views
Games We LOVED as Kids...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 11:21 AM
20 Replies, 903 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 10:44 AM
5 Replies, 264 Views
Project CARS 3 Announced...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 11:30 PM
6 Replies, 327 Views
Top 5 Underrated...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 10:09 PM
5 Replies, 287 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 07:47 PM
7 Replies, 275 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 36,487
Blog Entries: 20
Hunger Games prequel movie in the works with Mockingjay Director


Quote:
The Games continue.

Following past teases, the Hunger Games franchise is officially getting a prequel movie based on author Suzanne Collin's forthcoming novel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Lionsgate formally announced Tuesday.

Francis Lawrence, who previously helmed Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence (no relation) in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Parts 1 and 2 of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, will return to direct the new film. Collins herself will adapt the screenplay with one of the Catching Fire screenwriters, Michael Arndt.

Donald Sutherland portrayed the authoritarian President Snow across the first four movies, which circled the nation of Panem and its savage annual affair wherein two teenaged "tributes" from each of the 12 Districts were chosen at random to fight to the death in a brutal arena. Katniss Everdeen, played by Lawrence in the films as a young woman from the impoverished District 12 who survived the games and fought to overthrow this tyrannical regime, was the focus of Collins' earlier books. But The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes follows a younger Coriolanus Snow at the age of 18.

Years before he becomes the president of Panem, Snow is picked to be a mentor for the 10th annual Hunger Games. Elation turns to disdain when he realizes the female tribute he's assigned hails from District 12. Nina Jacobson, who produced all of the previous Hunger Games movies, returns to produce this prequel with Brad Simpson.
Entertainment Weekly.

I really enjoyed the first book and the first movie. After that they were pretty much crap. You can usually tell when an author never planned for sequels.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You can usually tell when an author never planned for sequels.
Yup. It's called "fantastic beasts" and it's available next to genuine Pokemon products nationwide!
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Chief Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,791
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls. Outside of that audience, I don't quite get the popularity. The first wasn't terrible but the main character just wasn't likeable. Or maybe it was just the acting that was bad. And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 36,487
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls. Outside of that audience, I don't quite get the popularity. The first wasn't terrible but the main character just wasn't likeable. Or maybe it was just the acting that was bad. And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
In the book the character isn't really any more likeable than in the movie.

It's funny you say that though, because I just finished watching DEVS on Hulu and while the story was interesting, pretty much every character in the show is an unlikable twat who you really don't care about.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
I recommend watching Silver Lining Playbook w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper. Looks like a typical chick flick...but it's not...and fucking excellent if you wanna see Jennifer act in an interesting and real role.
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
GinRummy
Evil Dead
 
GinRummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 446
I love Donald Sutherland.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger
 
PacerDawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls.
My teen-age daughter loves them, so, if it makes her happy, I'm all for it.
__________________
Why isn't the word "gullible" in the dictionary?
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I-90 Homeless Camp, Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I recommend watching Silver Lining Playbook w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper. Looks like a typical chick flick...but it's not...and fucking excellent if you wanna see Jennifer act in an interesting and real role.
I agree. She very much deserved the awards and accolades from Silver Linings. Then she had to go piss it all away in Mother
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Azzy
Cthulian
 
Azzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,536
I completely agree. The second book still had some zest and ideas but the third was so horrible that I threw it in the trash so nobody could borrow it from me. I'm a book nerd and I've never thrown a book away before. It was horrible.

I feel bad for the children and teens and such that have had so little exposure to real entertainment that they'll blindly follow an IP even well after it's proven to be wasteful of their time, much less their money. I'm also looking at you Star Wars people.
And you Predator People.
And you, again, Star Wars People.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:38 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Chief Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I recommend watching Silver Lining Playbook w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Bradley Cooper. Looks like a typical chick flick...but it's not...and fucking excellent if you wanna see Jennifer act in an interesting and real role.
I appreciate the recommendation MJ. It's on our watch list now.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I completely agree. The second book still had some zest and ideas but the third was so horrible that I threw it in the trash so nobody could borrow it from me. I'm a book nerd and I've never thrown a book away before. It was horrible.

I feel bad for the children and teens and such that have had so little exposure to real entertainment that they'll blindly follow an IP even well after it's proven to be wasteful of their time, much less their money. I'm also looking at you Star Wars people.
And you Predator People.
And you, again, Star Wars People.
In the defense of Star Wars, much of the side content - books, games, comics, etc - was actually better and more enjoyable than the movies themselves. Lucasfilm under Disney may have bungled the main movies, but a lot of the other stuff has been pretty great.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Eats
Developer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I understand how these books and movies were a big hit with teen girls. Outside of that audience, I don't quite get the popularity. The first wasn't terrible but the main character just wasn't likeable. Or maybe it was just the acting that was bad. And as far as I can remember, Jennifer Lawrence was kind of down to earth at the time so it wasn't that she was too political for my tastes. She just wasn't good. Hollywood just seems to have a hard time making likable characters or hiring likable actors these days.
I think it is just because the first one wasn't even bad. Then they just rode that popularity and pumped out raw sewage for the rest of them and now this prequel that will also be garbage.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Eats
Developer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
In the defense of Star Wars, much of the side content - books, games, comics, etc - was actually better and more enjoyable than the movies themselves. Lucasfilm under Disney may have bungled the main movies, but a lot of the other stuff has been pretty great.
Didn't Lucasfilm bungle the main movies long before disney got involved?

The most recent movie was the worst of all of them though, imo. Maybe it would be better if George Lucas had just made a trilogy all about NSYNC being jedis.

I thought the first 2 of this new trilogy were passable. Better than Hunger Games.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
Didn't Lucasfilm bungle the main movies long before disney got involved?
The prequels get a bad rap, but I never minded them.

Quote:
The most recent movie was the worst of all of them though, imo. Maybe it would be better if George Lucas had just made a trilogy all about NSYNC being jedis.

I thought the first 2 of this new trilogy were passable. Better than Hunger Games.
I mostly enjoyed TFA, and TROS gets a pass in my book for having to carry the story on after TLJ; they had absolutely nothing to work with, and had to do something to wrap up a trilogy that was effectively shut down with the middle installment.

TLJ would have worked best as a Star Wars-like movie, in the vein of Galaxy Quest or The Orville with relation to Star Trek. As a Star Wars movie, it was awful.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
GinRummy
Evil Dead
 
GinRummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
In the defense of Star Wars, much of the side content - books, games, comics, etc - was actually better and more enjoyable than the movies themselves. Lucasfilm under Disney may have bungled the main movies, but a lot of the other stuff has been pretty great.
Orson Scott Card's "Thrawn" Star Wars books were amazingly good. They kinda started off a whole bunch of others, some better some not. And on the games side, the X-wing and TIE fighter games rocked, and KOTOR was genius.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Orson Scott Card's "Thrawn" Star Wars books were amazingly good. They kinda started off a whole bunch of others, some better some not. And on the games side, the X-wing and TIE fighter games rocked, and KOTOR was genius.
Those were by Timothy Zahn, not OSC.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
GinRummy
Evil Dead
 
GinRummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Those were by Timothy Zahn, not OSC.
Dang it, my bad. I like Zahn a lot even though he's not done a lot lately. Not sure how I brain farted credit to Card. I knew it sounded wrong when I wrote it.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Dang it, my bad. I like Zahn a lot even though he's not done a lot lately. Not sure how I brain farted credit to Card. I knew it sounded wrong when I wrote it.
It happens!

Zahn is one of the better EU/newEU authors they use.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Chief Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The prequels get a bad rap, but I never minded them.



I mostly enjoyed TFA, and TROS gets a pass in my book for having to carry the story on after TLJ; they had absolutely nothing to work with, and had to do something to wrap up a trilogy that was effectively shut down with the middle installment.

TLJ would have worked best as a Star Wars-like movie, in the vein of Galaxy Quest or The Orville with relation to Star Trek. As a Star Wars movie, it was awful.
Agree on all fronts here. Also I remember really enjoying the Thrawn series back in the day. I have the latest one on my shelf but I haven't read it yet. Star Wars still has a lot of potential. It just needs to be in the right hands and they need to stop trying to make a Star Wars that appeals to everyone. Just make it Star Wars and let the fans that like it spend their cash.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The prequels get a bad rap
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunger games

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 PM.