Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:04 PM
1,462 Replies, 62,662 Views

Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Torchlight III 'Forts' Trailer

Quote:
First Look at Forts in Torchlight III Reveals How Adventurers Leave Their Mark on the World

Perfect World Entertainment and Echtra Games are excited to share a first look at the new Forts system in Torchlight III, the highly anticipated successor to the beloved Torchlight series. While the upcoming ARPG builds on the familiar hack’n’slash combat and mechanics fans loved about the original series, it also includes brand new features for adventurers to explore, starting with the introduction of Forts. When Torchlight III releases on PC later this year, players will have the opportunity to build and customize their very own fortress on the frontier. Forts allow each adventurer to leave their personal mark on the world, as these structures can be personalized and adorned with treasures that have been crafted or earned through combat. Forts also serve as an important hub where players can meet up with friends, progress their characters, plus swap out skills and entire armor sets.

All forts will be available and ready to customize in early Act 1, right after adventurers have cleared out a mob of attacking goblins. For an introduction to how the Forts System works in Torchlight III, check out latest blog from the Echtra dev team.

Torchlight III is the latest successor to the ARPG cult classics, Torchlight I and II, originally developed by Runic Games. This fast-paced dungeon crawler brings fans back to the beloved Torchlight universe to hack and slash their way through a brand new world filled with hordes of goblins, undead and other dangerous Netherim creatures. Adventurers can party up with friends or venture into the vast wilderness alone, where they will find loot, explore dungeons, collect epic gear and build their very own fort to show off to the world. Torchlight III features four unique hero classes (Dusk Mage, Forged, Railmaster and Sharpshooter), plus a myriad of new and familiar combat pets to help players fight their way to fame and glory.

To learn more about Torchlight III, please visit Torchlight3.com.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

the highly anticipated, cult classic.. hilarious, if I remember right Torchlight 2 pretty much bombed.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

I gave up on this series after a game-ending bug destroyed my T1 character after a very, very long investment of time. Folks invest a lot of time progressing in this genre of games, and that was the end for me w/them.

I have a pretty clear policy on getting screwed. If you're not my wife, I'm not interested, lol.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
Meeks
Evil Dead

Am I the only one who just doesn't care about "forts"? And the visuals don't appear to have evolved in the eight years since Torchlight II. Is this artistic style simply a license to eschew innovation or modernization? Look, I had a great time with both Torchlight I & II. I've actually been anticipating Torchlight III with a certain degree of optimism. But consider my enthusiasm curbed considerably. It feels like they're attempting to incorporate Animal Crossing elements in the same way the battle royale movement damn near killed online gaming for me a few years ago.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #6
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
But consider my enthusiasm curbed considerably. It feels like they're attempting to incorporate Animal Crossing elements in the same way the battle royale movement damn near killed online gaming for me a few years ago.
Why, don't you love innovation and modernization?

See different people have different ideas in what that actually means. And some people believe there is only one real way to go forward, by making a certain change that shakes the very foundations of the series or genre, mostly by turning it more into something else.

They probably consider the graphical style part of the core identity of their series. Maybe plenty fans would be disappointed if it didn't actually look like Torchlight anymore, because that sort of light-hearted and minimalist comic style is what they come to expect from the series. Maybe they did innovate a bit in the details of execution of it actually, for which you don't care because you don't like the style. Remember the controversy on the move from Diablo 2 to 3? A lot of fans were disappointed that Diablo now "looked more like WoW", instead of the gritty realism they expected of the series before. But Blizzard was just "moving with the times".

It's an interesting problem, how to innovate. You want to see meaningful changes, so it doesn't get stale and boring, but you also don't want your expectations completely subverted on what you want out of the experience. You don't want to start up Doom and suddenly find yourself play something that feels like Fortnite, right? You expect them to innovate within the constraints of what makes Doom still feel like Doom in its core, from gameplay loop to aesthetics.

Personally I don't actually mind the fort building in Torchlight (or the hub area in Doom), as it seems optional. The problem then of course is, how meaningful is it, and should they have spent their development resources on other kinds of improvements? and which ones? That's the crux. Making your base of operations more strategically important is one of the ways I'd personally would innovate on the genre, but it wouldn't be like playing The Sims. You see how opinions can differ on the subject.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #7
Azzy
Cthulian

I love base building.
This game still looks F2P though and even though I thought 2 was "ok" I don't think I'll be sinking much time into this until they can really convince me.
Having a trailer voiced over by the Theater major you dated in 2009 though isn't going to do it. That level of "internet kitsch" died when people actually thought The Big Bang Theory was funny.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:47 AM   #8
RAV
Evil Dead

I actually do think that the fort building is sort of a spiritual extension of the good old character customization. The difference is that the character is still closely linked to the the core gameplay loop: slaughtering monsters. However, forts give you another reason to go out killing mobs for treasure. It's another venue of investment. Now the question is, how meaningful should it be? You can make the argument that the fort also should have something to do with improving your odds in slaughtering monsters, which you'd still expect to be the core gameplay. But then the problem is, it kinda forces you to deal with fort building, even if that's not primarily why most would want to play a Diablo-style game. Because if you really love building forts so much for whatever reason that you want a lot of time invested into it, maybe you should play Minecraft instead of turning Torchlight into it. But I don't know, maybe there is room for a game that incorporates both genres. Minecraft is pretty weak in the combat action department. And Torchlight has the problem of competing with Diablo3/4, so it needs to find its own niche, its differentiation that justifies its existence.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:12 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

The art style is terrible let's be honest, not every game needs to look like a my little pony cartoon threw up on the screen.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
Azrael
Evil Dead

Didnt mind Torchligh 1, Torchlight 2 was ok, but feel they didnt really innovate or expand (could just be my memory).

Interest in this is lukewarm at best. I'll probably buy it when its discounted and give it a whirl but if i missed out on this game i dont think i'd be upset
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
the highly anticipated, cult classic.. hilarious, if I remember right Torchlight 2 pretty much bombed.
No bad mouthing Torchlight allowed!!!!!
Old 04-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
No bad mouthing Torchlight allowed!!!!!
Little late for that my scaley friend.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:50 AM   #13
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

i enjoyed torchlight 2 alot more than 1! it had better end game content and crazy high level loot + mini boss fights to encounter in map atlas. Sadly im not sure if this is worth playing over Path of exile or diablo, but i never expected to enjoy torchlight 2 as much as i did.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torchlight 3