Kung flu
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:04 PM
1,462 Replies, 62,662 Views

Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Trailer Later Today

Feel Free to drop a YouTube link in the forums when it comes out, I sleep during the day. (As all good Evil overlords do.)
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ubisoft.com.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

I don't care what the main character's name is...it'll be Uhtred, son of Uhtred to me.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Anything Viking is on my radar. Love the mythology. This could be a full price purchase for me, which would be the first in...I don't know...several years at least.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

that video was amazing.... I would like to see a movie fully rendered like that
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Robberbaron
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalekFekete View Post
I don't care what the main character's name is...it'll be Uhtred, son of Uhtred to me.
Funny you say Uhtred because didn't their town in the begging look exactly like the one in the show.. on the water in a V shaped bay even the main hall looked the same.
Robberbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Anything Viking is on my radar. Love the mythology. This could be a full price purchase for me, which would be the first in...I don't know...several years at least.
Same. I've been fascinated with Norse history/lore/mythology since I was a wee lad. This trailer gave me chills throughout. Very excited.

Plus, I enjoyed the last two AC games, so I think this likely will not disappoint.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am ready to hop on this game! I played AC 1 and 2 but missed out on a bunch of AC games but picked up Odyssey and loved it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Cefca
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
that video was amazing.... I would like to see a movie fully rendered like that
THIS, please!
Cefca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
RAV
Evil Dead

Best trailer I've seen in a while. Did not expect to see something like that anymore.
Well, I suppose its production can be justified to make Christians look bad...
But at least the folks in it look like human beings with a soul, so I take that.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 05-01-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Best trailer I've seen in a while. Did not expect to see something like that anymore.
Well, I suppose its production can be justified to make Christians look bad...
But at least the folks in it look like human beings with a soul, so I take that.
Christianity, specifically Catholicism, has done more than enough to make itself look pretty bad over the centuries.

Besides, this is set right at the very beginning of when Vikings and Anglo-Saxons would have first encountered each other and entered conflict. If they try to frame this game within the confines of religious warfare, it would fly in the face of the historical accuracy they strive for with this series. The Vikings didn't have an organized religion (or even a word for religion, in that matter); belief in their gods was just a thing, and a handful of spiritual leaders were the ones who conducted rituals. When they finally encountered organized religions, they just found it to be kind of weird.

By the end, the Vikings were some of the biggest champions of Christianity.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:15 AM   #13
RAV
Evil Dead

This was unnecessary, but okay. I got about 50k pages of world history sitting on the shelf next to me. Everyone has done their fair share of bad, there is nothing really special about the Christians in that regard, and the Vikings are no exception of that either. People and faiths had their upsides and downsides. If anything, what's actually noteworthy about Christianity is setting up modern civilization and morality as we know it today. It's not an accident the renaissance, enlightenment and science happened here, and there's no Vikings anymore. In this title here it will probably focus more on the bad of Christians and the good of Vikings. I do understand that for the sake of making a convincing story from the perspective of the Vikings, it's kinda natural to frame things the way they are. It's okay with me, since I dig what they're going for overall here. It was more a snide remark to explain my surprise to this production.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
This was unnecessary, but okay. I got about 50k pages of world history sitting on the shelf next to me. Everyone has done their fair share of bad, there is nothing really special about the Christians in that regard, and the Vikings are no exception of that either. People and faiths had their upsides and downsides. If anything, what's actually noteworthy about Christianity is setting up modern civilization and morality as we know it today. It's not an accident the renaissance, enlightenment and science happened here, and there's no Vikings anymore. In this title here it will probably focus more on the bad of Christians and the good of Vikings. I do understand that for the sake of making a convincing story from the perspective of the Vikings, it's kinda natural to frame things the way they are. It's okay with me, since I dig what they're going for overall here. It was more a snide remark to explain my surprise to this production.
You could say this about virtually every single game in the series, considering the Knights Templar have been the overarching villains since the very first game. Hell, the Ezio games involved fighting the Pope directly.

Unless their creative vision has changed, the AC teams have always done a pretty good job of presenting things like religious groups in a decently neutral manner.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah, I commented on it because I didn't remember the trailers of previous games driving this plot point so obviously. But it makes sense enough for this particular setting. It's not a big deal for me either way. This line of story telling about the zealous preacher and corrupt church is a standard trope in our story telling. It's usually not particularly creative, but it has its function, and the bible itself warns from corruption of the faith by greed or zeal removing all sense of compassion. In much the rest of the world today, criticizing either the religion or the government has bad consequences for you. Good thing that enduring mockery is part of the founding mythos of Christianity. (the cross of Jesus Christ, with his crown of thorns, was a mockery of Jesus that Christians made their symbol of faith).
Old 05-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You could say this about virtually every single game in the series, considering the Knights Templar have been the overarching villains since the very first game. Hell, the Ezio games involved fighting the Pope directly.
I find one of the interesting thing about religion is how those grounded in overarching philosophies followed by faceless masses persist. And they have the added bonus of being mostly anti-fragile so people trying to drive agendas have a hard time doing too much lasting damage.

2000 years is a lot of time for some bad people to have done bad things with Christianity. It is also a long time for something that was once a good thing to be labeled a bad thing using more modern framing, such as the Crusades.
Part of this is because it set up a hierarchy which allows people to have a level of superiority over others the other part is just a shift of politics and ignorance of real history.

This is unlike some of the eastern religions which also have "good" philosophies but, without the massive hierarchy, don't have as much opportunity to do damage. Think Buddhists who, AFAIK have never waged any sort of holy war or engaged in widespread abuses at the hands of it's leadership, because it doesn't have much in the way of leadership.

Now the question occurs, why isn't the world more based on, for example, Buddhist approaches? I suspect the answer is because, unlike the Abrahamic religions especially Christianity, Buddhists don't have evangelism built into their ruleset.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #17
RAV
Evil Dead

The Asian territory was ripe with wars, atrocity and slavery. The virtue of Buddhism/Taoism/etc didn't seem to help either, and there were plenty corrupt preachers/gurus/prophets as well. The same with more secular approaches at any given time.

Christians were brutally persecuted and murdered right from the start by the establishment. But the general population got increasingly tired of being bullied by establishment, and Christian faith at the time just seemed less tyrannical and bureaucratic compared to other things.

After they became the establishment themselves, one should still consider some context, as you would give to other people of the times. When someone talks about the crusades, it's usually in isolation. Europe was under heavy attack by all kinds of highly organized forces for a long time. The Mongols ravaged Europe, the Arabs besieged us, all kinds of brutal forces almost got us, we were barely hanging on by a thin life line. The raids by the "nice" Vikings didn't help either. If any of them would have had success, life today would look a lot different. That is to say, a lot worse. When you watch typical media pieces today, you could get the impression, everyone was trying to play nice, but the evil Christians just wouldn't let people live in peace... yeah right. I'm not gonna pretend there were no problems, but our culture is a line of development. You shouldn't take our accomplishments today for granted. It didn't come out of nowhere. And it didn't come just out of spite to Christianity. The figures of enlightenment and science back in the day weren't atheists. It's also interesting to note, that the progress of that time was based on the renaissance, which means a revival of the past. It was an exact opposite of breaking with the past. Through archeology, people were inspired by the accomplishments of past cultures, in order to innovate their present. Learning and appreciating the past was part of the progress.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I find one of the interesting thing about religion is how those grounded in overarching philosophies followed by faceless masses persist. And they have the added bonus of being mostly anti-fragile so people trying to drive agendas have a hard time doing too much lasting damage.

2000 years is a lot of time for some bad people to have done bad things with Christianity. It is also a long time for something that was once a good thing to be labeled a bad thing using more modern framing, such as the Crusades.
Part of this is because it set up a hierarchy which allows people to have a level of superiority over others the other part is just a shift of politics and ignorance of real history.

This is unlike some of the eastern religions which also have "good" philosophies but, without the massive hierarchy, don't have as much opportunity to do damage. Think Buddhists who, AFAIK have never waged any sort of holy war or engaged in widespread abuses at the hands of it's leadership, because it doesn't have much in the way of leadership.

Now the question occurs, why isn't the world more based on, for example, Buddhist approaches? I suspect the answer is because, unlike the Abrahamic religions especially Christianity, Buddhists don't have evangelism built into their ruleset.
There have been a number of violent Buddhist sects running over the years (and still are; one group in Sri Lanka is targeting Muslims, for example). It's more frequent and widespread that people think, despite the fact that conflict resolution through violence is strictly forbidden.

For me, I tend to focus on Catholicism when referencing the "bad" of Christianity (although there are certainly more than a handful of Protest groups that would fit the bill, as well). You don't even have to go as far back as the Crusades to find the awful things the Catholic church has done; everyone knows about the systemic child abuse, but they also used to force young, unwed mothers to give up their children...which would then be essentially sold to unsuspecting parents looking to adopt. This was occurring as recently as the 1950s.

I don't have a problem with Christianity as a whole, but I do have issues with organized religion.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
RAV
Evil Dead

Organization is a double edged sword. It allows you much more effective action, which can do a lot more good in the right hands, but is also dangerous in the wrong hands. Furthermore, even at best intention, there are bound to be incidents/accidents/failures and bad actors within an organization. But that doesn't necessarily discredit the value of the whole.

Through its organization, religion was able to do good on a level it couldn't have done without. Most of all it was able to survive against other highly organized forces expanding at every opportunity.

Do you realize how many millions of children Catholic/Christian organizations have saved? Now and throughout history? Do you understand what would happen if the catholic church ceased to exist from one day to the other? How many millions of people depend everyday on their support and would be at absolute despair without, because no one else comes to help? In the old times the church itself was the social security net. That is what it was as part of the state. Today it still is an important part of the social net aside the state.

Do you realize how much good local churches do everyday for people that our own society has forsaken? When you are old/alone/sick, have nothing and no one? When there is nothing in it for anyone else to help you, since you are just a burden a non-functional cog in the machinery that needs to be exchanged and thrown away? And do you realize just how much effort helping those people really takes, on a level the state still can't do? Our society still relies to an incredible degree on the selfless help of religious people. That takes a large amount of organization. Not only is much of that help practical, the spiritual help is as important, because many people are dying for a lack of love. It's not enough to feed you. There is a despair and darkness in your soul that consumes you without the love of your family, friends... and god. If there is no god, there is only despair, at latest when your family and friends die.

You can have a lot of focus on the bad incidents that can happen on such a large scale operation as our established churches, but that alone is not a fair measure of what good or bad it does overall. Unless you are a particular victim, usually those that take so much issue with it have never really experienced it. It's like ranting about the stupidity of religion but never reading it.

Honestly, when you are desperate and forsaken, my advice is to go to your local church first for guidance and help, and actually go to a catholic one given the choice. I recommend this even more than going to your psychologist or whatever state agency. It's increased organization also gives it better standards on average, though there are never guarantees. Bad things can happen anywhere. Secular government itself has gruesome history of failures, corruption and abuses. We still need it at least in some capacity however.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I do have issues with organized religion.
You should become a Pentecostal charismatic. I've never encountered such disorganized chaos, lol.

The dude doing laps around the congregation was just the icing on the crazy cake.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assassin's creed valhalla