Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Xbox Series X Backward...
Last post by TDiddy
Today 10:00 PM
5 Replies, 161 Views
Gov overreach.
Last post by Eats
Today 09:53 PM
112 Replies, 2,223 Views
Post something good you...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 09:48 PM
414 Replies, 112,143 Views
Sega About To Make A Big...
Last post by vallor
Today 09:34 PM
11 Replies, 356 Views
Game and Movie Releases...
Last post by AlfredT
Today 08:56 PM
2 Replies, 323 Views
Alternative Social Media...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 08:28 PM
8 Replies, 199 Views
The Last of Us Part II -...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:30 PM
2 Replies, 235 Views
Kung flu
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:04 PM
1,462 Replies, 62,662 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 36,463
Blog Entries: 20
Taika Waititi to Direct New Star Wars Film


Quote:
1917 writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns will pen the script with Waititi.

Taika Waititi is officially headed to a galaxy far, far away. The filmmaker behind Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit will direct and co-write a new Star Wars movie for theatrical release.

Oscar nominated 1917 writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns will pen the script with Waititi. In January, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that Lucasfilm was courting Waititi for a Star Wars film.

No release date has been set for the project, which was announced on StarWars.com to coincide with May the Fourth, the unofficial holiday celebrating all things Star Wars. Waititi, who won a screenwriting Oscar for Jojo Rabbit, has a full schedule. He has already shot the upcoming Searchlight Pictures soccer film Next Goal Wins, and has Ragnarok followup Thor: Love and Thunder due out Feb. 11, 2022 from Marvel Studios. He cut his teeth in the Star Wars world by directing the season one finale of Disney+'s The Mandalorian and voicing the droid IG-11.
Hollywood Reporter.

May the 4th Be With You!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,145
I think he'll be a good fit. He's capable of handling "serious" material, and directed at least one episode of The Mandalorian.

He can't be any worse than Rian Johnson, at the very least.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,975
I'm not hopeful. I didn't really like the direction he took in Ragnarok, turning Thor into a bumbling, ridiculous fool. Maybe he'll make something better than the last SW set, but that's not quite a high bar either.

We shall see.
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I'm not hopeful. I didn't really like the direction he took in Ragnarok, turning Thor into a bumbling, ridiculous fool. Maybe he'll make something better than the last SW set, but that's not quite a high bar either.

We shall see.
Jojo Rabbit is actually a solid movie, that balances humor with a pretty dark, bleak plot. He also has some experience with Star Wars, so he's at least familiar. He also seems to run more with the Favreau/Filloni crowd, who should be the guys running Lucasfilm.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Jojo Rabbit is actually a solid movie, that balances humor with a pretty dark, bleak plot. He also has some experience with Star Wars, so he's at least familiar. He also seems to run more with the Favreau/Filloni crowd, who should be the guys running Lucasfilm.
J.J. Abrams made a pretty damn good Star Trek flick back in 09.

So what the hell happened with those shitshow Star Wars films?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Look at the "guns blazing" avatar and how direct his attempts to stir the pot are.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
J.J. Abrams made a pretty damn good Star Trek flick back in 09.

So what the hell happened with those shitshow Star Wars films?
Given Taika's outloot on what directing a Star Wars movie can do for one's career, I'm leaning more toward cautious optimism. He also demonstrated quite a bit of self-awareness just three years ago, and talked about how he didn't think he'd necessarily be a good stylistic fit for a Star Wars movie at the time. Obviously, something changed his mind over the past few months.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Filloni and John Favreau somehow involved with his movie. If they are, I think things'll be just fine.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
John Favreau


Bet most folks won't get the double meaning here...
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #8
NACIONAL
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Medellín, Colombia
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Obviously, something changed his mind over the past few months.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental
If it's a choice between eroding the moral fabric of society, or people owning fewer pets, I think I'd rather have video games blamed for the pet thing..
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I-90 Homeless Camp, Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,565
I didn't mind Thor: Ragnarok too much but they did turn Thor into a bit of the fool, at least till the end when he turned into a bigger badass - though he was overshadowed at every step by the Valkyrie.

If anything he was portrayed with way less dignity in Avengers: End Game.

I may watch JoJo Rabbit eventually but my general take on Star Wars now is "How far into the ground will they continue to drive it?" I think this guy may at least come up with something interesting.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
If anything he was portrayed with way less dignity in Avengers: End Game.
Just watched that again tonight (the last of my family's travels through the MCU chronologically). Man, is that true. A fat, weepy, bumbling slob, but he does pull it together in the end. Mostly.
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #11
Syloney
Knight
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 34
Effing freaking no!!!!

This guy has a signature style of 'COMEDY ALWAYS ON'. Neil Druckmann is brazen to put on his Twitter profile "abuser of characters', Waititi on the other hand after going on a tirade with a fan on Twitter, I can't remember which mythos, replied along the lines on how he would wreak a character if he so pleased. After his bastardization of Thor, I believe him.

Seriously, how could any Thor fan watch Thor 3 and feel that was a job well done. Right from the get go, the comedy reel was reeling, c'mon!!!!

I am not on-board with him taking any known property seriously. Heck, look at the last episode of Mandalorian season 1.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:56 AM   #12
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 626
Anyone but Rian Johnson, fk that guy. Dude hasn't done a single good movie. I thought a teenager directed Knive's Out.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:38 AM   #13
Phoenix1985
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think he'll be a good fit. He's capable of handling "serious" material, and directed at least one episode of The Mandalorian.
I somehow mixed him up with Jon Favreau in my head for this very reason, and thought "Oh no, Mandalorian isn't going to get the love it deserves anymore."

So, if it had been him, it would've been good, but also bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
Also, Telltale signed with xbox, with fear that if they released Jurassic Park on the PS3, the dinosaurs would get loose.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead
 
Ghostblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 477
Whoever worked on and created the mandalorian needs to make these Star Wars movies. The first season was more entertaining than all of those new movies combined. Except rogue one. That was the best “new” Star Wars movie.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 11,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I'm not hopeful. I didn't really like the direction he took in Ragnarok, turning Thor into a bumbling, ridiculous fool. Maybe he'll make something better than the last SW set, but that's not quite a high bar either.

We shall see.
Agreed, and I think it's gonna suck.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #16
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead
 
MadMurdock_0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 579
I like Taika's work and style. That said. Fuck Star Wars... What a shit-show that universe has become. The Mandalorian was pretty good, haven't gotten into the Clone Wars animated but I hear it's good. The movies, though, are just garbage.

I guess if this shows anything, it's that Disney might finally be willing to take risks with the SW franchise rather than playing it safe with the boring-ass, stupid-as-shit stories that the last three movies were.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 9,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
Whoever worked on and created the mandalorian needs to make these Star Wars movies. The first season was more entertaining than all of those new movies combined. Except rogue one. That was the best “new” Star Wars movie.
That would be John Favreau, Dave Filloni...and Taika Waititi (to a lesser exent; he voiced a character and directed an episode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I like Taika's work and style. That said. Fuck Star Wars... What a shit-show that universe has become. The Mandalorian was pretty good, haven't gotten into the Clone Wars animated but I hear it's good. The movies, though, are just garbage.

I guess if this shows anything, it's that Disney might finally be willing to take risks with the SW franchise rather than playing it safe with the boring-ass, stupid-as-shit stories that the last three movies were.
Clone Wars and Rebels are both great shows; Dave Filloni is the mastermind behind both, and he did a great job. With that being said...stick with it through the first couple of seasons. It's a little more kid-friendly at the beginning, but shit starts to get real once you get past the earlier stuff. I haven't seen the last season of Clone Wars yet, but the tail end of it runs concurrently with RotS, and looks to be some of the best Star Wars material we've seen.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
Phoenix1985
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
Whoever worked on and created the mandalorian needs to make these Star Wars movies. The first season was more entertaining than all of those new movies combined. Except rogue one. That was the best “new” Star Wars movie.
I'm not 100 percent sure about that. Those guys are doing good stuff with Mandalorian as it is, and pushing them from making their simpler but more effective tv series to trying to steer Star Wars from the main franchise seat might not work out. We'll see how things go with the new lead.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
Also, Telltale signed with xbox, with fear that if they released Jurassic Park on the PS3, the dinosaurs would get loose.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,975
Wouldn't it be nice to see a trilogy of Star Wars material solid the whole way through?

I-III - a mess.
IV-VI - One solid film in there, one half-decent one.
VII-IX - a mess.

We finished watching the MCU chronologically and now we're doing the same with Star Wars. Ep. 1 has some amazingly chintzy looking set pieces (really shocked at how artificial, cheap, sterile they look) and of course, it has Jar Jar, perhaps the worst character in a major film series I have EVER encountered.

Would love for a SW trilogy comparable to Jackson's LotR trilogy, which was epic and amazing.
__________________
Don't be this guy.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 36,463
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to see a trilogy of Star Wars material solid the whole way through?

I-III - a mess.
IV-VI - One solid film in there, one half-decent one.
VII-IX - a mess.

We finished watching the MCU chronologically and now we're doing the same with Star Wars. Ep. 1 has some amazingly chintzy looking set pieces (really shocked at how artificial, cheap, sterile they look) and of course, it has Jar Jar, perhaps the worst character in a major film series I have EVER encountered.

Would love for a SW trilogy comparable to Jackson's LotR trilogy, which was epic and amazing.
I like the Hobbit Trilogy too, which I find endlessly more watchable than LotR even though I know some people didn't like it.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 PM.