Today 06:04 PM
1,462 Replies, 62,662 Views

Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ex-Respawn Devs Establish New Studio: Gravity Well

Quote:
A Studio for the Long Haul (Drew McCoy)

Hi! I’m Drew, and I’m stoked to start a new studio here in LA with Slothy. We’ve been making games together for a long time and have learned a ton about ways to lead teams and ship games. We believe the time is right to shake things up in AAA game dev.

We are starting a studio because of how we want to make games. We want time to iterate on everything and get ideas and feedback from the whole team. We’re building this studio to last for decades, and that doesn’t happen without putting the team first.

We take team health as an absolute top priority. That means we are anti-crunch. That means good compensation. That means everyone at Gravity Well has creative freedom, because when someone else makes all of the decisions, work isn’t fun and the end product isn’t as good.

We prefer to cut and focus down so we only ship what we love.

If this sounds like an adventure that you want to join we’re looking forward to hearing from you!

A Smaller AAA Team (Jon “Slothy” Shiring)

Okay, Slothy here. I just pried the keyboard away from Drew.

Ask around, and you’ll get the same answer from devs—once your team size crosses 100 people, everything changes. It’s nobody’s fault – big organizations just move slowly. You need meetings just to make decisions. Choices get siloed and brilliant creatives become less creative. So let’s just not do that. We’re going to build a team that is 80 to 85 people at peak.

We aren’t satisfied with the low level of creative risk that gets project funding these days. We want to explore bold new ideas exclusively for next-gen hardware and PCs.

Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re starting the studio for remote work from the very start. Since one of the core values of Gravity Well is increased diversity, we’re excited about not being hamstrung by relocation or work visa issues. We want to hire the best talent in the industry, regardless of where you live.

We’re excited to build this new team and we hope that you’re interested, too. If now isn’t the right time, reach out anyway and we can just have a nice conversation. If you work in games, we’d love to hear from you.
Respawn sold out to EA and now both the studio heads work somewhere else. Gee, where have I heard that story before???
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Jeez, I was wondering when people would figure out that 80-85 people is the magic number, and not 100.

I thought it was just me that new the keys to success.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

"Since one of the core values of Gravity Well is increased diversity, we’re excited about not being hamstrung by relocation or work visa issues. We want to hire the best talent in the industry, regardless of where you live."

When your core value is diversity rather than making a good game you're bound to fail right out of the gate.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
"Since one of the core values of Gravity Well is increased diversity, we’re excited about not being hamstrung by relocation or work visa issues. We want to hire the best talent in the industry, regardless of where you live."

When your core value is diversity rather than making a good game you're bound to fail right out of the gate.
Most people don't want real diversity. They want to be able to SAY they want diversity on their website and job listings in the hopes their company doesn't become a white sausage-fest. Watch them trip over themselves hiring any PoC or female with even marginal skill in their discipline.

They will do that KNOWING there are better and more capable people out there. How is that diversity when they "settle" for either the diversity card or the salary card knowing they can get South East Asian talent for pennies on the dollar?

My experience has shown me that people collaborating on something like a video game need to be on similar schedules and with a very small language barrier; things magnified when working remotely. So those living outside of North or Central/South America are pretty much accepting they will need to live a lifestyle that keeps them up at all hours or VERY early mornings doing meetings and such at Pacific Time.

Maybe these guys will have cracked the code that helps them be successful with a ton of remote workers all over the world actually working on the same code in a shared source depot. If so they should be consultants to other video game companies. 10 times the money and half the work but still get to be in the industry.

But this sounds like a crock at worst or maybe a way to get around the pesky H1-B problem by accepting a negative value to your production capabilities and speed.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
BillyWilliamton
Dread Lord

Companies like diversity because it makes it harder for employees to unionize.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Lactose
Developer

I've worked with these guys since CoD2 & CoD4 through Apex Legends. Their desire for diversity is honest and has been bourn out by their past actions.
Lactose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Haha... that almost makes it worse.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lactose View Post
I've worked with these guys since CoD2 & CoD4 through Apex Legends. Their desire for diversity is honest and has been bourn out by their past actions.
That's just sad. You should never hire for diversity. Only hire the best person for the job. Period.

Tags
gravity well