Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

That's a dumb poster made by people too smart for their own good and giving the average viewer more credit than they're due.

Inception and Dr. Strange did the whole topsy-turvy world thing better already. If someone hasn't seen one they've seen the other so this poster is putting ideas into people's noggins and making promises the movie keep because there's nothing like Inception or Strange in The Dark Tower.

Fire this marketing company and whoever approved this poster needs a kick to the balls. Or the female balls. Or Xir balls or whatever. Kick them there and hard.

And the tagline is stupid as shit. "There are other worlds than these" is the best they could come up with? If they are going all high brow with the poster why go all retard with the tagline?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
And the tagline is stupid as shit. "There are other worlds than these" is the best they could come up with? If they are going all high brow with the poster why go all retard with the tagline?
That is the second most famous line from the books.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That is the second most famous line from the books.
I don't remember that line. Course I only read the books through once and they were released so far apart from each other it might not have stuck. But OK; I'm ok if it's fanboy service.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
UttiniDaKilrJawa
Subscriber

I kind of liked the poster. The whole Dark Tower created out of the white space was fun.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

Quote:
I don't remember that line. Course I only read the books through once and they were released so far apart from each other it might not have stuck. But OK; I'm ok if it's fanboy service.
Are you serious? I had the exact quote engraved on an ipod years ago.

It's what Jake says when it's clear that Roland is choosing the tower over saving him. I thought it was incredible they put that on the poster. The art sucks, but the line is awesome.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
hund_
Evil Dead

Quote:
Cliffs Notes ?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
Are you serious? I had the exact quote engraved on an ipod years ago.

It's what Jake says when it's clear that Roland is choosing the tower over saving him. I thought it was incredible they put that on the poster. The art sucks, but the line is awesome.
That's some dedication to a pretty generic line. Maybe it was a more special concept back then than it is now?

The thing I most remember about the books isn't so much the books themselves but to see how King wraps his universe together. I thought they were so disjointed and, frankly, rambling and (post Drawing of the Three) even more self-indulgent than what King had been doing up to that point. By the time you get to Wolves of Calla the only reason to continue with the suffering is to unreadable IMO. The only reason I suffered through it was to get to the end after 30+ years of books.

Sort of like Robert Jordan and just as unreadable as the last of Jordan's books till Sanderson came around to save the series. Too bad no one did that for King.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by hund_ View Post
Cliffs Notes ?
Near the end of the first book the Gunslinger has to choose between saving Jake and going after the Man in Black and he chooses to go after the man in black. When it is obvious that Roland isn't going to choose him, Jake says (paraphrased) "Go then, there are other worlds than these." And then falls to his death.

While it is a gut-wrenching moment in the book, it becomes even more important later because Roland is driven almost insane by having memories of both saving and not saving Jake because of the whole multiple worlds thing.

For much more than that, you have to read the books. Heh. Though I kinda suggest stopping after the 5th book because the last two are crap.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's some dedication to a pretty generic line. Maybe it was a more special concept back then than it is now?
Maybe you were just to young to comprehend it's significance via the context surrounding it. That has happened to me with a number of books I had read when I was very young. But eventually through life experience and education, etc..., after re-reading a few of them, I found so much that I had missed. A good number of Stephen King's work fell in that category plus a few classics like Catcher in the Rye.
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Sort of like Robert Jordan and just as unreadable as the last of Jordan's books till Sanderson came around to save the series. Too bad no one did that for King.
Sanderson finished The Wheel of Time because Robert Jordan died before he could finish the series.

I, for one, am glad someone didn't have to step in for King to finish his series.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I don't know... that line was pretty pivotal. That was the moment when Jake realized that the Gunslinger who he had begun to look at as a father figure was going to turn his back on him to pursue his obsession.

Roland was already seeing Jake as his son, and still lets him die to continue his pursuit of the man in black.

And besides, it is a pretty big concept in the whole book series. At this point in the series you have no idea how true that statement is.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
Ozymandis
Evil Dead

I like the art, and that's the second-most iconic line from the entire book series. So yeah, there's nothing wrong with this, it's great in fact.
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #15
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

i love the dark tower stories... but this movie will probably be garbage and that is such a shame.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
Meeks
Subscriber

In other news, fuck... Matthew McConaughey.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Sanderson finished The Wheel of Time because Robert Jordan died before he could finish the series.

I, for one, am glad someone didn't have to step in for King to finish his series.
I'm not. I don't see how it could have been any worse if a fan had written the last few books. At least they would have seemed like a Sci Fi/Western instead of whatever it was they became. Urban fantasy?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
Maybe you were just to young to comprehend it's significance via the context surrounding it. That has happened to me with a number of books I had read when I was very young. But eventually through life experience and education, etc..., after re-reading a few of them, I found so much that I had missed. A good number of Stephen King's work fell in that category plus a few classics like Catcher in the Rye.
It's possible. However, I disagree that a good number of King's work fell into that category. His stuff is generally not cerebral at all. There generally aren't "layers" to be found, especially once you hit the point where he was so popular they re-released "The Stand" unedited (there's a reason a lot of those words were edited out).

After that things when downhill. By the time you hit the Gerald's Game/Dolores Clayborne era when he's just cranking shit out (what was it, 4 books in a couple years?) you know you've hit Peak King and he's just phoning it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot
And the series was better for it and maybe a different author with, frankly, more respect for the material, would have done a better job in the last few books of the Dark Tower. The conclusion of The Dark Tower was crap. It was King giving himself a self-congratulatory handjob for finishing this series.

The best Dark Tower book, short of The Gunslinger, is still The Talisman.

Tags
the dark tower