Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Mass Effect: Andromeda...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 08:16 PM
88 Replies, 5,088 Views
Rumor Mill: Destiny 2...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 08:12 PM
12 Replies, 625 Views
April Games with Gold...
Last post by Primus
Today 07:29 PM
3 Replies, 283 Views
Justice League "Unite"...
Last post by subroc
Today 07:24 PM
5 Replies, 528 Views
Power Rangers 'Breaks...
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 07:07 PM
28 Replies, 2,640 Views
Nintendo Is Fixing The...
Last post by TafJaf
Today 07:03 PM
16 Replies, 1,252 Views
Destiny: Rise of Iron -...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:45 PM
2 Replies, 422 Views
Three Billboards Outside...
Last post by vallor
Today 06:31 PM
6 Replies, 674 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 28,306
Blog Entries: 58
Digital Foundry: I Am Setsuna Switch vs PS4 Comparison


The Digital Foundry reports that I am Setsuna on Switch is a visual match for the PS4 version. The game is "1080p on both, with frame-rate the only tangible difference."

Quote:
A native 1080p presentation is delivered on PS4 and in Switch's docked mode, with both featuring clean imagery due to the game's simplistic style and lack of complex geometry. It's a match down to the pixel level and both versions feature the same level of image quality when displayed on a 1080p screen.

As expected, resolution drops to 720p on Switch's portable mode, perfectly matching the machine's LCD screen pixel-by-pixel. The resulting image is naturally sharp and in other areas graphical quality is a match for the game running in docked mode. There are no downgrades when running on the go, so the visual experience is very similar to docked mode. It's also worth noting that menus and on-screen text appears clear and easy to read, with the HUD elements displayed at a reasonable size on the machine's 6.2-inch screen.

I am Setsuna is almost a complete visual match across both platforms, but there is a noticeable difference with both versions in motion - the PS4 game runs at a significantly higher frame-rate. The action moves at a slick 60fps on Sony's console, in line with performance seen on most 16-bit sprite-based titles of the era. This results in a very fluid gameplay experience where the environments scroll across the screen smoothly, with both combat and exploration having a polished feel throughout.

It's a clear upgrade over the Switch version, which targets a more common 30fps update instead. However, the reduction in frame-rate does have obvious benefits for Nintendo's weaker console. Halving the frame-rate allows the developers to keep the level of graphical quality high when running in both docked and portable modes, resulting in a virtually identical looking game in most areas.
Click on the Headline for the Video.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 28,306
Blog Entries: 58
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
It's a clear upgrade over the Switch version, which targets a more common 30fps update instead. However, the reduction in frame-rate does have obvious benefits for Nintendo's weaker console. Halving the frame-rate allows the developers to keep the level of graphical quality high when running in both docked and portable modes, resulting in a virtually identical looking game in most areas.
So an objectively inferior version of what was already a very simple looking game.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
So an objectively inferior version of what was already a very simple looking game.
The zealots might call you a hater for using logic.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The zealots might call you a hater for using logic.
I hate everything, rather equally in fact. And in case anyone has yet to notice: I do not care what others think of me. Not being able to run I Am Setsuna at 60 FPS, a game with graphics straight off the XBox Classic or Dreamcast, is telling to the power of Nintendo's Maxwell Tegra console.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I hate everything, rather equally in fact. And in case anyone has yet to notice: I do not care what others think of me. Not being able to run I Am Setsuna at 60 FPS, a game with graphics straight off the XBox Classic or Dreamcast, is telling to the power of Nintendo's Maxwell Tegra console.
Or more so lack thereof power but I hear you Rommel.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Or more so lack thereof power
Isn't the Digital Foundry framing of this story rather amazing? Especially the headline. The Switch version has less light sourcing and half the framerate and they call it a "Visual Match." By those standards, we should all dig out our old VHS tapes.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Scherge
Voice of Reason
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Isn't the Digital Foundry framing of this story rather amazing? Especially the headline. The Switch version has less light sourcing and half the framerate and they call it a "Visual Match." By those standards, we should all dig out our old VHS tapes.
I think Nintendo is wrong in not playing up the handheld potential of the Switch more. I don't have a Switch yet, but it's highly likely I'll be getting one before the end of the year (I'm waiting to see if some of the Wii U exclusives like "Pikmin 3" show up on it). To me, the Switch is a supercharged Vita, with Link instead of Nate. The screen looks rather big to me, but then, I'm ready to upgrade from the 960x540 display of the Vita, and 720p sounds like a decent compromise.

In other words: The Switch version of "I Am Setsuna" might be a crappy port for home console standards, but it sounds like a job well done for a handheld. A pity I'm not at all interested in the game itself...
__________________
“Life is mostly about not losing. Games, on the other hand, should always be about winning!” (me)
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I think Nintendo is wrong in not playing up the handheld potential of the Switch more. I don't have a Switch yet, but it's highly likely I'll be getting one before the end of the year (I'm waiting to see if some of the Wii U exclusives like "Pikmin 3" show up on it). To me, the Switch is a supercharged Vita, with Link instead of Nate. The screen looks rather big to me, but then, I'm ready to upgrade from the 960x540 display of the Vita, and 720p sounds like a decent compromise.

In other words: The Switch version of "I Am Setsuna" might be a crappy port for home console standards, but it sounds like a job well done for a handheld. A pity I'm not at all interested in the game itself...
That's the thing; the Switch isn't as powerful as a PS4, so comparing the two isn't really worthwhile. I bought a Switch because of its portability; I love being able to play a console game on my TV and then immediately swap into handheld mode when necessary. I didn't buy it for the visual fidelity, becayse that's what my PS4, Xbox One and gaming PC are for.

I guess I'm just not expecting the Switch to compete toe-to-toe with the likes of the PS4, due to the wildly different designs behind each device.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
That's the thing; the Switch isn't as powerful as a PS4, so comparing the two isn't really worthwhile. I bought a Switch because of its portability; I love being able to play a console game on my TV and then immediately swap into handheld mode when necessary. I didn't buy it for the visual fidelity, becayse that's what my PS4, Xbox One and gaming PC are for.

I guess I'm just not expecting the Switch to compete toe-to-toe with the likes of the PS4, due to the wildly different designs behind each device.
I don't blame people for comparing the Switch to the PS4. I'm not saying it's fair but it's the gut reaction of people because right now, this is the home console we have from Nintendo. It's also the portable console we have from Nintendo but there's really nothing else out there to compare it to on that front. It is a little ironic though that so many people went from complaining about this generation of consoles as being dumbed down underpowered PCs to now suddenly implying that they're the gold standards of power next to a machine that's a fraction of the size.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,224
Did the narrator of this video take an overdose of Valium prior to capturing his audio? Terrible. Just...terrible.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
It is a little ironic though that so many people went from complaining about this generation of consoles as being dumbed down underpowered PCs to now suddenly implying that they're the gold standards of power next to a machine that's a fraction of the size.
so true.

I am disappointed that a simple rpg like this doesn't hit 60fps in portable mode, that's more the developers fault than the switch. This isn't a game made for the switch, it's a game ported from a much more powerful console with more resources available to it and it still runs at the same resolution but a slower framerate on a tablet (yeah 1080p on the dock, 720 in tablet but it's the same framerate, it doesn't make sense to run 1080p on a 720p screen you lose so much clarity when things aren't a pixel matched resolution)... have you seen the size of the ps4? a tablet... I don't think enough people understand this.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,850
The Gold Standard is derived from the devices in the same category. The Switch is a console, so the Gold Standard for consoles (presently) is the PS4 Pro. If you want to be generous and more appropriate for the general userbase, then the PS4. So people are naturally going to compare the performance of the Switch to the PS4.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,354
ah but the ps4 is compared to PC so if the ps4 gold standard is the PC then the PC is the gold standard for all gaming... which is true.

I am curious if anyone has played the game, is it worth the money? I'm not going to buy it just because it calls itself a jrpg in classic style... is the combat fun? good story? is the game engaging enough to actually finish?
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
This isn't a game made for the switch, it's a game ported from a much more powerful console with more resources available to it...
This describes most games the Switch will be getting not made by Nintendo. Nintendo is positioning this as a home console, and it is their current offering in this generation that started 3 years ago. So yes a comparison should be made.

This game being relatively simple visually is a benefit for porting to the switch. Look at this comparison and you can see something a bit more demanding looking more like a turd on the Switch (which people conveniently call a handheld or a console depending on how it benefits the discussion.)

Dragon Quest Heroes 2
__________________
PSN, XBL, Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG: shadow763 Twitch
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #16
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
ah but the ps4 is compared to PC so if the ps4 gold standard is the PC then the PC is the gold standard for all gaming... which is true.
PC Master Race > Console Peasants. So you will always have PC users wanting their cake and eating it to. Even within PC to PC discussion you will have whining in every direction because of variances in the hardware and costs therein.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
(which people conveniently call a handheld or a console depending on how it benefits the discussion.)
It's both convenient and inconvenient. I'm not trying to hide anything if I call it a handheld because size-wise, it is. So the Switch is sort of the best of both consoles and handhelds but it's also the worst of both in a way. And again, I'm not going to say that people shouldn't compare the Switch to the other home consoles but that doesn't mean it's really a fair comparison. If Nintendo packed the power of a PS4 into something the size of the Switch and sold it for $300, we'd all be shocked.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
It's both convenient and inconvenient. I'm not trying to hide anything if I call it a handheld because size-wise, it is. So the Switch is sort of the best of both consoles and handhelds but it's also the worst of both in a way. And again, I'm not going to say that people shouldn't compare the Switch to the other home consoles but that doesn't mean it's really a fair comparison. If Nintendo packed the power of a PS4 into something the size of the Switch and sold it for $300, we'd all be shocked.
I think this is the most apt way to describe the Switch. It's not a perfect device, but it does what it says it does.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think this is the most apt way to describe the Switch. It's not a perfect device, but it does what it says it does.
Considering it's not even as powerful as 3 year old consoles already on the market, the excuses you guys keep making for it are quite amusing. The Mario Kart one of skipping the Wii U version so a remaster is just fine was especially funny. Generation Remaster indeed.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #20
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,354
no? no one wants to discuss if the game is good enough to buy?

well here's a thought for you. When was the last time you took your ps4 with you? ps2? xbox? regardless of cost, power, or graphical prowess, when was the last time you went shopping with the wife and brought your console. Or took your kids to a 2 hour doctors appointment and brought your console with you? When was the last road trip you had with your ps/xbox?

I have moonlight on my phone and tablet and I play PC games on the go fairly often, but I have to plan it since I also need to bring the controller, have a power outlet nearby and good wifi/cell reception... so it's not exactly convenient. I have brought my switch more places than I've ever brought my pc games. It's so simple to connect the joycons to the tablet and remove it from the dock and continue gaming. This is the reason it exists.

No amount of hot air from people who don't actually own one can counter the real fact that the switch is an amazing console that, in it's short life has already increased my gaming time in a busy schedule with quality (not mobile quality) games. No one else can say that. Things like the 3ds come close but even those games often feel dumbed down, not cellphone quality but not home console feeling either.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i am setsuna, switch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.