Last post by ministryofwrath
Today 02:55 AM
4 Replies, 558 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Rommel
International Playboy

Nintendo Switch Dock Scratching Screen

The Nintendo Switch's dock is being accused of scratching the screen. Nintendo doubts the veracity of this claim.

Image floating around the internet, originated at Glixel.

Looking at the two units, it is possible: The dock is constructed of ABS, which has a durometer of 100, the top of the Durometer scale. There are no pads, foam or otherwise, on the majority of the internal bumpers. I saw a forum talking about how that would be included prior to launch but what ultimately was included is rather paltry protection, bordering on none. Likely a cost savings step, plastic commodities are through the roof right now and "Foam Rubber" is actually polyurethane.

Close up image of the dock. Note the majority of the internal bumpers' surface area is naked plastic.

The screen, meanwhile, is not glass but plastic. It will not shatter if you drop it but scratches are a common problem. Most plastic screens are constructed of PET, which has a durometer of 85 to 95. That means the screen has just a low enough hardness to get scratched by ABS--especially while the unit is on, as Shore Hardness reduces as temperature rises. If the screen is TPU, a nicer material for clarity, it is more likely scratches will occur as it has a maximum durometer of 75.

Buy a screen protector for your new toys and consider some felt pads for inside the death dock.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Yeah, I heard about this happening shortly after I had mine in-hand. I went out and bought a screen protector shortly after.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

That's pretty terrible in terms of design/engineering and a real setup for people to mess up their device.

On the other hand, anyone wielding any device with a screen (other than a desktop/laptop/TV display) who doesn't automatically buy a screen protector of some sort (I use tempered glass on my phones, a universal screen protector cut to fit for everything else) is clearly either ridiculously naive/inexperienced in dealing with these devices or doesn't really care about scratches.

I even have a screen protector on the lcd of my wife's high-end sewing machine, and it came in handy when one of my little ones scratched the sucker soon thereafter.

Does it have a screen? Does it move about or otherwise interact with fingers or other objects? PROTECT IT! PSA - The More You Know.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Does it have a screen? Does it move about or otherwise interact with fingers or other objects? PROTECT IT! PSA - The More You Know.
My 60" TV was a bitch, but thanks to a half-role of Saran-wrap, I'm set for the rest of the year. Pictures a little fuzzy now, though.

I heard about the screen scratchies before, that's not a good design. I love the quote in that article:

Quote:
"We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on," [President and COO of Nintendo North America Reggie] Fils-Aimé told TIME. "As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no."
Right. Because everybody wants to be the guy who tells the boss that their latest company saving console has a serious design flaw.

Also, the link in that article to another issue about the paint chipping due to skin stickers is a bit more concerning to me. What the hell did they use on these things, watercolor? If it flakes after peeling off a sticker, then I'm pretty sure it will start flaking on it's own after some use.

The build quality of these things seems to be getting more suspect with every passing day.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Also, the link in that article to another issue about the paint chipping due to skin stickers is a bit more concerning to me. What the hell did they use on these things, watercolor? If it flakes after peeling off a sticker, then I'm pretty sure it will start flaking on it's own after some use.

The build quality of these things seems to be getting more suspect with every passing day.
To be fair, it was the adhesive used on those particular skins made by that particular company causing the issues. It was damaging the finish on the Joy-Cons.

I feel like the build quality of the console and controllers are good, having spent a couple weeks with them now. The dock, on the other hand, is pretty cheap. I'd love to get my hands on a better alternative.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

I actually think they should include a fitted screen protector in the box with the device going forward. Manufacturers update pack-in contents all the time. This would make sense to include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
My 60" TV was a bitch, but thanks to a half-role of Saran-wrap, I'm set for the rest of the year. Pictures a little fuzzy now, though.
LOL. Should have used crazy glue. That would clear it right up!*

* I believe I excluded TV/desktop/laptop displays from screen protecting, lol.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I actually think they should include a fitted screen protector in the box with the device going forward. Manufacturers update pack-in contents all the time. This would make sense to include.
They removed the AC adapter for all new 3DS consoles because they assumed that you would have already bought a 3DS by now, and if not, then you can afford to spend a little more on the AC adapter. AC power is sorta required for using any electronic device. Nintendo is all about making a profit at any cost, and a lot of hardware profit comes form licensing, particularly to brands like Hori. So it would not make any sense to have a pack in when you can charge $10.00 or more for a screen protector then an additional $20.00 or more for a proper carrying case (old socks are not a proper carrying case).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Well, that's pretty cheap behavior on their part. As for the cost of the protector, just buy a bulk pack of oversized protectors that can be cut to fit. That's what I do and it's quite a bit cheaper. Same idea for tempered glass (fitted) protectors; you can spend ten bucks at your local overpriced retailer or buy a pack of three online for less than one locally.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Anemone
Evil Dead

Teflon-tape on the inside IMO:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tape-(made...ptfe)/=16r4i3p

Some are using microfiber cloth until they can get a screen protector. Mine's on order.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

This is all viral click bait bullshit that idiots fall for and spread for free. Good job being a bitch for a mediocre cash grab subsidiary website like glixel. Sure the dock feels kind of cheap and could be "better" but it has the custom designed PCB inside that allows it to have the dual functionality they intended, advertised and sold the console on. If you really care you can mod the damn thing but the people who complain about this are the ones who never do anything preventive or find a solution to a problem unless someone sells it to them on Youtube or Kickstarter. Then again most of those spreading this don't even own a Switch...

Don't be a filthy bastard with dirt everywhere like you clearly see in that first picture. Did they take it to the god damn beach and get sand on it? I've had a Switch since day one, use it regularly in and out of the dock, even in the official case and have no scratches.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 AM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
This is all viral click bait bullshit that idiots fall for and spread for free. Good job being a bitch for a mediocre cash grab subsidiary website like glixel.
I am now going to do something completely out of character: I am going to explain my rationale in a logical and forthright manner. To those reading these words, you may wish to leave now as this may get ugly.

On March 3, website Glixel released a story depicting scratches on their Nintendo Switch tablet, claimed to result from use of the official dock. I had not heard of Glixel prior and only discovered the story when watching Ashens unbox and review his unit, which included a rather fierce condemnation on the dock for the scratch allegation. Interested, I searched for and found the story that has now been retold, reported as being reported and referenced on various news outlets dozens of times. Not one to take a story like this at face value, I quickly checked Snopes and Nintendo's own statement on the matter which yielded no result and only an anecdotal rebuttal, respectively.

At that time, I remembered I am the part owner of an International toy and festive products company that designs and produces millions of plastic goods each year. I also possess more than enough design and manufacturing experience to work out the possibility that the dock was scratching the unit. And so I did, using the known durometer ranges of the materials, as they are listed in the tear down by fictiv, that compose the Switch and its dock. I found that due to the design on the dock's internal bumpers, it is possible for the dock's materials to contact with the Switch's screen and that the plastics are of sufficient hardness to cause damage to the screen. In fact, the scratches are located precisely where one would expect when taking the internal bumper design into account: The bottom of the tablet, ceasing at the height where the foam pads would be encountered.

Please note that...
  • I list all my informational sources
  • I included Nintendo's reply immediately
  • I provided images relevant to the details as I displayed them
  • I make no claim to the final veracity of the story, only its possibility

I apologize that there is negative press about your new toy for which you paid a sum not insignificant and for which you express fondness. Unfortunately, the negative press that incites your fury is being championed by images, growing reports across the internet and, yes, my own manufacturing experience that lend credence to that which has hurt your feelings so.

Tl;DR
Neener. Neener. Neener.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Tl;DR
Neener. Neener. Neener.
That's really all you needed to rebut his 'reasoned, rational' post, lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #13
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

I personally don't use screen protectors anymore but I tend to be pretty careful with my stuff. I might pick one up for the Switch since the kids use it too but for now, I don't let them carry the thing around. If they want to play in table top mode, I set it up for them. The dock design is kind of crappy but for now, I just attached some felt strips on the rails that seem to come into contact with the screen the most and I've had no issues. It also has a nice side effect of making the Switch fit a bit more snugly into the dock.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #14
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
I personally don't use screen protectors anymore
I don't either, but modern gorilla glass and the like are much, much stronger than the plastic being used by Nintendo here. We wouldn't have to if they had a similar strong screen, but the fact this system is being marketed for kids makes that basically a non-starter. Unless they start buy that magical bendable glass that Dow-Corning makes, everyone assumes that's plastic--it's actual glass, but they chemically treated it to make it bend > 90°, it completely violates our intuition of how much flexibility glass can display.

But likely the cost would prohibit for a mass-market device like this.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
screwyluie
Evil Dead

pretty impressive imo

oh and for the dock, just take some clear tape, scotch tape, and put it over the rails. simple solution until we get a better docking station... or a screen protector but I personally don't like those
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I used to be against screen protectors myself back in the day. But then my iPad--with Gorilla glass that is supposed to be nigh unscratchable--suddenly developed several small nicks in the screen glass. And I took pristine care of that thing to, with a cover always on it and everything.

These days, I have to cover everything. It doesn't matter how careful you are with something, all it takes is one day slipping it into the jacket pocket that you forgot your keys were already in and -- blammo. Or, just playing it and suddenly have to jump up to do something else quickly. For example, you could be all immersed in playing Zelda and right before the battle with Ganon you suddenly realize that you missed that last exit and you are now in the incoming traffic lane. At that point you just toss the thing to the side while praying that the driver of that SHACMAN F3000 20 ton spots you in time to swerve out of the way. Imagine while recovering in the ICU the next day a big scratch on the screen. That would really dampen my game play I tell you.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
Anemone
Evil Dead

Apple can't seem to figure out good glass.

My Samsung phones remained unscratched after literally years of use. Not even one deep scratch. Just microscratching at best. Have never broken on me, despite exposed corners and multiple drops, even though I use a very slimline case that's so small many people don't realize it's a case at all.

Meanwhile I've personally watched two people on separate occasions break their Iphone in my presence.

And I dropped my phone in the sink once and it was perfectly fine, thanks to standard water-proofing.

I know many people who sport Iphones with perennially cracked screens because they cannot afford to replace them again.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
blackzc
Evil Dead

[QUOTE=Anemone;2477211]Apple can't seem to figure out good glass.

My Samsung phones remained unscratched after literally years of use. Not even one deep scratch. Just microscratching at best. Have never broken on me, despite exposed corners and multiple drops, even though I use a very slimline case that's so small many people don't realize it's a case at all.

Yea, ive used samsung phones /slim cases since i moved on from my htc evo way back, ive never scratched one. Dont try not to, it just doesnt scratch.

Muh girl did just drop her edge 7 on the carpet and the edge of the screen got a bunch of small cracks .Son of a bitch...
Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post

pretty impressive imo

oh and for the dock, just take some clear tape, scotch tape, and put it over the rails. simple solution until we get a better docking station... or a screen protector but I personally don't like those
And if Nintendo weren't such cheapskates, they would have spent the ectra 20 cents to provide adequate protection during one of the primary functions of their hybrid 300 dollar gimmick.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Then you'd complain they didn't put it on for you. And if they did you'd complain they didn't give you a handy while they're at it, and if they did you'd still complain.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote