Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 11:50 AM
46 Replies, 5,685 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Iron Fist Reviews

Now that you have had a chance to binge Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix, what did you think? I see the typical progressive reviews calling it an outdated whitewashing, but those people have no soul anyway.

I'm most of the way through the series and I thought it was a great homage to 80's martial arts films and I got a chuckle out of how ridiculous Danny Rand sounds when he is in his office talking about Kung-Fu clans.

It was about 1000% better than Luke Cage, which has a great main character but was just dull heaped on top of dull the whole season.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I'm nearly done with the series. I was really looking forward to it, the trailers got me super pumped so when I started it on Friday and have watched 4 or 5 episodes a day since.

Without giving out spoilers or hopping on the social commentary (which I agree is bunk) the individual episodes of the show waivers between decent and meh. The script and pacing are uneven; it goes UP then plunges down sometimes in the same episode. It's hard to tell if the episode is going to be a filler episode with boardroom stuff focusing on Joy, Ward, with a dash of Danny imposing is 51% mega dumb will or some actual bad guy kung fu action and plot moving forward stuff.

But the meta story is good. Just like Luke Cage where the overall story arc was good even if the pieces were some times blocks of crap. In fact so far the worst was Jessica Jones where the opposite seemed to be the case. The episodes tended to be reasonably and predictably decent but the story arc was forgettable.

I have to say the acting, especially by the guys who plays Ward and the Father are awesome but Ward is a particular stands out later on in the series. Another that so far has struck me as doing great is Madame Gao now that she's finally been able to take a greater presence in the shows. Joy, Danny and Connie, and the rest get the job done.

Anyway, I should easily finish tonight and can expound. So far I'd say it's worth a watch. I didn't feel I had to slog it through nearly as much as I did with Luke Cage though it does take a few episodes before the action starts and sometimes I wanted to strangle Danny Rand for his stupidity in the first few episodes (and even after that).

Once it does start up around episode 4 or 5 it seems, overall, keep the story moving well.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

I am on 12th of the 13 episode ... its ok
I think they will do an Avengers MOvie :P

Luke Gage , Daredevil and Iron Fist + more in one team vs the HAND
Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
I am on 12th of the 13 episode ... its ok
I think they will do an Avengers MOvie :P

Luke Gage , Daredevil and Iron Fist + more in one team vs the HAND
They are already doing something like that for the summer (I don't know if it's this year or next). The Defenders: Luke Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist. With special guest stars from each of the series like Misty Knight, Corrie Wing, and the nurse (sorry, forget her name) played by Dawson. Probably others.

I think it's supposed to be a series though.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I'm a few episodes in (watching while typing this) and I find it a hell of a lot less boring than Luke Cage. Still doesn't hold a candle to season 2 of Daredevil but I'm liking it so far.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
subroc
Dread Lord

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the season. I glanced at a few reviews last week and they were all saying how bad it was so my expectations were low. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Daredevil has always been my favorite comic growing up so I'm biased, but DD is top of the list for the Marvel Netflix series - this comes second for me. I know they wanna give each character their own space before any crossovers, but these last few episodes all I've been thinking is, "Claire - just fucking call Daredevil".

The only other complaint I have is that the Colleen Wing stuff early on in the season is a little bit of a drag, but it's not too bad.
subroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
seruko
Knight

It's terrible.
The fights are god awful.
The stunt doubles in blond wigs are hilarious.
The rainmakers setup to only cover 2/3rds of the screen are half assed.
None of the characters make any sense.
You have to watch 700 minutes before the main character ever mentions why he abandoned his duty, broke his vows, and left his holy city to come to new york.
Finn Jones cannot act his way out of a paper bag.
seruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
Azzy
Cthulian

Four episodes in and it's "good enough". It doesn't have the shit-stick writing that Cage had in the latter episodes, so many of the conversations in that show made me cringe until I peed a little. Remember when Cage was telling Pop about how his sandwich would kill him faster than bullets? And then Pop finished the sandwich? Ungh.
And Jessica Jones. Goi. What a fucking boring show. It should have been seven episodes long. If they cut out the number of times that she walked into a lawyers office and was an asshole for no reason it could have been done in six.

Iron Fist has me looking forward to the next episode but not as much as Surivor!
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
Exodus
Evil Dead

I think what really hurts the show for me as of now being on episode 12 is it cuts a lot. It's not quite expendables level but it's in the same vein. There's no long shots like daredevil's ode to old boy hallway fight but luke cage/daredevil have their own long sequence one shots whereas this is very much attack, cut, attack, cut which is a little disappointing.

I'm enjoying it because it is new but it's not really that special.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #10
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I'm at episode 6 and really like it. Really like the origin story and the mystical 15 year/Iron Fist etc stuff, it's really fun. Enjoying the sidekick aspect and the Meachums as well. Yeah, so far I really like it.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I enjoyed it all. I get it's not the highest quality in TV like some other shows that have came out recently, but it's not near as bad some critics would have you believe. So weird that its getting shit on so bad. I wonder if it has anything to do with the whole "white washing" thing. Like they all got on a the band wagon and started bashing it to prove a point? Maybe not...

Anyway I enjoyed it and looking forward to The Defenders.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
Grast5150
Lord

I just finished it last night. It was meh with some OK times but some really crinchy times. I enjoyed Luke Cage and DD much more. I still think the casting choice was wrong. Finn Jones is and was not big enough or cut enough to be a fighting monk that trained his whole life to fight. Finn Jones is also not a very good actor. I did not find any connection with the character. Tom Pelphrey who played Ward was fantastic. I really disliked him as Ward is quite the dick in the beginning.

I would give it a 2.5 out of 5.
Grast5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

It was better than Luke Cage, but not great. It needed something to differentiate it more from the rest of the cast and Iron Fist just seems like another dude punching criminals and ninjas.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
Meeks
Subscriber

I'm only a few episodes in but it feels very derivative and some of the acting is frankly pretty bad. Despite that, it's still better than most of the other crap out there. So I'll keep watching, along with all the other Netflix Marvel series.

Here's to hoping Punisher can pick up the slack,
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I enjoyed it all. I get it's not the highest quality in TV like some other shows that have came out recently, but it's not near as bad some critics would have you believe. So weird that its getting shit on so bad. I wonder if it has anything to do with the whole "white washing" thing. Like they all got on a the band wagon and started bashing it to prove a point? Maybe not...

Anyway I enjoyed it and looking forward to The Defenders.
We watch for decent and interesting story, we hope for passable acting and we expect great action.

The twist had zero feel to it because he barely had any cultivation in relationship with her students and hell he only slept with her once. If you get attached that fast after sleeping with a girl once you got your own problems, were a virgin, or she was just that goddamn good.

The action was bordering on born shaky cam hell, it was camera cut trade hit shit expendables level with none of the choreography work like this

[yt]NPJoXODBEYw[/yt]

but daredevil wasn't completely absent the same mess but made up for it with great actors like d'onofrio and bernthal delivering something. None of the ensemble cast were interesting and being a dick isn't some sort of amazing feat by ward go play online competitive games there's millions of really good actors out there apparently. Only remotely interesting characters were colleen for obvious reasons and madame gow because seeing an asian lady that old speaking decent english is fascinating.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
[yt]NPJoXODBEYw[/yt]
Fixing youtube link since Exodus doesn't have the ability to edit... (p.s. it's [ youtube] and [/ youtube] not yt)

Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
subroc
Dread Lord

I feel that they tried to do their DD hallway fight in episode 2 with the hallway + elevator fight, but it was pretty ineffective. The problem I have with the fight scenes is that the hits don't feel like they have any impact.
subroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Watched the first few episodes tonight. I like it. It's a slow burn, and there are a few moments where the writing/acting seem just a tad bit off, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the thread setting me off in its direction, as I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
seruko
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Fixing youtube link since Exodus doesn't have the ability to edit... (p.s. it's [ youtube] and [/ youtube] not yt)

Watching that, in 3 minutes there's 3-4 cuts. Each action set piece is at least 40 seconds long, and at least semi/movie logic believable.

Now watch the Iron Fist Version

There are at least 7 cuts in the first 15 seconds. None of the hits seem real. The action is chopped up with lots of in-between moments missing.
seruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Both fight scenes are great. Daredevil with the chain and the look on his face was badass, though. That made the series for me. He's kind of a brute. Iron Fist is much more classic Kung Fu and about avoiding hits then looking for the right moment to strike.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iron fist, pure evil