Justice League
Last post by Mad Max RW
Yesterday 06:50 PM
35 Replies, 1,047 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews "a vision half-fulfilled" "haze of inconveniences"

Forbes - 8.5/10

Quote:
I have a feeling that Mass Effect fans will enjoy the game, but I don’t think anyone will claim it outclasses the original trilogy, outside of maybe the very first game. If you could combine the story and memorable quests of the originals with the combat, visuals and scope of Andromeda, you would have the perfect video game, though I think what's offered here will satisfy most. Despite its issues, Andromeda is welcome return to one of my favorite fictional universes, and I am still not ready to let Mass Effect go. I'm not sure I ever will be.
Game Informer - 8/10

Quote:
When taken as its own journey (and not in comparison to Shepard’s saga), Mass Effect: Andromeda is fun, and the important parts work. The narrative isn’t astounding, but keeps you invested and drives you forward. The combat is entertaining whether you're in single-player or multiplayer. The crew isn't my favorite, but I like them and they have some good moments. Even with its other problems, these are the largest forces shaping your experience with Mass Effect: Andromeda, and they make it worth playing. At the same time, I was often left looking through a haze of inconveniences and dreaming about the game it could have been.
IGN - 7.7/10

Quote:
Mass Effect: Andromeda is an expansive action role-playing game with a few great moments that recapture the high points of the landmark trilogy that came before it, and energetic combat and fantastic sound effects contribute to a potent sci-fi atmosphere. Without consistently strong writing or a breakout star in its cast to carry it through the long hours and empty spaces, however, disappointments like a lack of new races, no companion customization, and major performance problems and bugs take their toll.
GamesRadar+ - 3.5/5

Quote:
With a little more focus, Andromeda could have been a great game. The premise of exploring a new frontier in space is exciting and original, and the cast of characters inhabiting this new world - be they the fresh races, or the people you’ve dragged with you from the Milky Way - are more interesting than not. Some of the worlds have a real beauty, and the main narrative itself is compelling enough to carry you happily to the end. But there’s too much quest padding. Too much technical jargon. Too much fighting for a game with a poor fighting system. Too many clever little animations and quest-steps in between the stuff that’s actually fun to do. Place the resulting experience next to infinitely more finessed open-world games like The Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn - or even the original trilogy - and Andromeda compares very poorly indeed. Not a disaster, but definitely not the fresh start this series needed, or the one fans have been waiting patiently for.
USgamer - 3/5

Quote:
Mass Effect Andromeda falls short of its predecessors, but it's still a competently executed open-world action RPG with an interesting world and tons of quests to complete. Its biggest shame is that it doesn't make better use of its setting, opting instead to go with more of the same. Hopefully BioWare will be more ambitious when it comes time for the inevitable sequel.
GameSpot - 6/10

Quote:
In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter--and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing. Yet even after 65 hours, I still plan on completing a few more quests. The game can't escape its shortcomings, but patient explorers can still find a few stars shining in the darkness.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

6/10 lol
I will wait for the Enhanced edition or 75% sale
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sounds like this one will need a year of patch files before you want to touch it. The first big patch for the animations is going to be a gut-puncher. I'll bet they just make you download the whole game again.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I guess hiring people who know what they're doing is important, huh?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Nope, just their genitals. Diversity is our strength lol
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I guess hiring people who know what they're doing is important, huh?
This is the new Bioware. They hire based on your hate of white and straight men. Actual qualifications to make a good game aren't as important.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
This is the new Bioware. They hire based on your hate of white and straight men. Actual qualifications to make a good game aren't as important.
This isn't the case.

The real reason can and always will be found in EA's terrible nature when dealing with their studios. Either they're too heavy-handed or too light on the touch, and they always, ALWAYS fuck up. Lest we forget, DA:I was praised and lauded as something truly awesome and that was the last game under the Bioware banner.

The main problem the game has, beyond the bugs that is, seems to be the lackluster story, stemming from the Halo 4 writer hire mainly, it seems. Multiplayer once again is the game's saving grace.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Mass Effect: Assdramada
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

In a sad way I'm glad the reviews are 'meh'. I was on the fence and tempted to pick it up, but this now makes the much more financially-sound decision of getting Witcher 3 a slam dunk.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Mass Effect: Androgynous is a stinker anyone could see coming a mile away. Don't give your money to a company that willfully continues to employ a publicly proud racist.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
This isn't the case.

The real reason can and always will be found in EA's terrible nature when dealing with their studios. Either they're too heavy-handed or too light on the touch, and they always, ALWAYS fuck up. Lest we forget, DA:I was praised and lauded as something truly awesome and that was the last game under the Bioware banner.

The main problem the game has, beyond the bugs that is, seems to be the lackluster story, stemming from the Halo 4 writer hire mainly, it seems. Multiplayer once again is the game's saving grace.
EA owned Bioware for at least a couple of years while DA:I was in production. EA is also responsible for a hell of alot great games over the years as well. To be honest multiplayer has no place in these types of games to begin with. No the issue here is the amount of progressive SJW asshattery has ruined this studio to the point that it's infested their products themselves.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
By that logic this woman will probably be heading up the next Bioware game.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Mass Effect: Androgynous is a stinker anyone could see coming a mile away. Don't give your money to a company that willfully continues to employ a publicly proud racist.
They don't employ that chode anymore. I looked at his twitter, he's been gone for awhile.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Also since when do we care about reviews? I still think about the collusion and dishonesty that was exposed. The last few games that came out everyone was questioning why all the reviews have been 9's or better lately, now we get a game where there is some variety and people are taking it as gospel.

The only outlet I trust is Giant Bomb, and actually only Jeff Gerstmann. And I don't even agree with him that often.

I'm just not afraid to form my own opinions, I always go against the flow.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Oh, you also can literally NOT create a light skinned white or Asian character, lol. That was baked into the cake, seemingly as a racist poke against whites and Asians of lighter pigmentation. What morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
They don't employ that chode anymore. I looked at his twitter, he's been gone for awhile.
Gone for a while? They just confirmed that he no longer works there one day ago. If it happened, it's not been very long.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Oh, you also can literally NOT create a light skinned white or Asian character, lol. That was baked into the cake, seemingly as a racist poke against whites and Asians of lighter pigmentation. What morons.
Really? That's kind of news to me considering I made a light skinned Asian character last night trying out the character builder. It sucks big time by the way.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Really? That's kind of news to me considering I made a light skinned Asian character last night trying out the character builder. It sucks big time by the way.
Perhaps your definition of "light skinned" is the background of the boards here at EA, lol. Or perhaps that referred to a recent beta version.

[URL="http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/mass-effect-andromedas-racist-game-designer-no-longer-works-for-bioware/26431/"]http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/mass-effect-andromedas-racist-game-designer-no-longer-works-for-bioware/26431/[/URL

Quote:
Things continually escalated as the release of Mass Effect: Andromeda drew near, with the 10-hour free trial and the revelation of the game’s poor quality and the fact that fair-skinned whites couldn’t made in the character creator also made people quite angry. The lead game designer, Ian Soon Frazier, commented on Twitter that they would investigate possibly patching in the ability to make fair-skinned whites and light-skinned Asians in Mass Effect: Andromeda, leading many people to believe that Manveer Heir may have had something to do with it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

LOL at the broken url. I'm not paying money for editing privileges (I would for other reasons, but not for that). Enjoy the unedited edition.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Feel free to be the judge.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Feel free to be the judge.
That's a pretty tan Asian.