Star Wars Battlefront 2...
Last post by ministryofwrath
Yesterday 10:33 PM
8 Replies, 948 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Chloe Frazer And Nadine Ross Take The Lead In Next Uncharted Game, No Nathan Drake

Sony Interactive Entertainment America has revealed that Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross will be the main characters in Naughty Dog's upcoming PS4 action game, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Quote:
Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross are reluctant partners who don’t always see eye-to-eye, but who must work together to obtain the priceless Tusk from a mysterious warlord named Asav. “I like to figure things out as I go,” Chloe mutters at one point in the gameplay demo. “I noticed,” Nadine snorts.

Why revisit Chloe? For Naughty Dog, it was an easy decision. She’s an interesting character with a darker moral compass compared to Drake. Writer Josh Scherr remarks: “They’re both treasure hunters. Drake has a bit of a hero complex, but Chloe looks out for number one, first and foremost.” It’s Chloe who initiates the hunt for the Tusk.

Nadine reenters the picture for different reasons, partially born out of the consequences of her actions in Uncharted 4. With Shoreline crumbling, she’s out of work and desperate.

“Chloe would need somebody with military expertise,” Escayg said. “In all of Uncharted, Nadine is probably the most rational and practical character we’ve ever introduced,” Scherr added. “She tends to take a direct approach.”

Bringing them together helps each character accentuate the other. “They’re opposites. Chloe is spontaneous and impulsive, where Nadine is by the book, structured,” Escayg explained. “That made for a good pairing.”

And you better believe that relationship is going to develop over the course of the game. “Both of them are in positions they aren’t used to being in,” Game Director Kurt Margenau said. “Chloe, in terms of taking charge. Nadine, who is used to running the show, is now the hired gun. They’re both figuring it out as they go.”

As for fans hoping for a Nathan Drake cameo in The Lost Legacy? “We entertained a few possible ideas around including Nate as a secondary character,” Scherr explained. “But everything we did felt superfluous because we tied it all up with Uncharted 4.” Margenau was even more direct. “We’re not going to touch on Nathan Drake in this, at all.” So, uh, maybe don’t hold your breath.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

This is how this franchise ends. Not because of muh diversity but because IMO Nathan Drake's charm was a main selling point. The gameplay was good and the story as well, but his humor and character sealed the deal. These two do nothing for me.

I will be glad to be proven wrong.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

In all honesty I would rather player as Elena Fisher (Drake), but it makes more sense having an episode revolving around Chloe and Nadine because they were adventures cut in the same cloth as Nathan Drake. Elena was just there as part of her job, and her job now is keeping Nathan away from stupid shit (though anyone who played Uncharted 4: Thief's End knows how well that worked out in the end).

Chloe definitely can be up there in the Nathan drake level of charm and whit, and Nadine is a straight-man (she will definitely need to loosen up if she is the Sullivan of the relationship).

As for this killing Uncharted, I don't think that Left Behind killed any anticipation for The Last of Us, much like inFamous Last Light killed
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Oops, hit enter to soon. The last line should have said "much like inFamous Last Light killed inFamous. InFamous died because people did not like the protagonist in Second Son.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
This is how this franchise ends. Not because of muh diversity but because IMO Nathan Drake's charm was a main selling point. The gameplay was good and the story as well, but his humor and character sealed the deal. These two do nothing for me.

I will be glad to be proven wrong.
I agree but I'd add Sully to that as well. Drake and Sully were a lot of fun and they certainly had the right amount of charm and wit. There's nothing really wrong with Chloe but I don't think she's got that strength of character to make me care the way Drake and Sully did. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Glad to hear this honestly. Uncharted 4 has a great, satisfying ending... Let's see what they can do next with the franchise.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Drake had a good ending so makes sense the next Uncharted starts fresh.

Chloe I get it, but Nadine? How about Drake's charming brother Sam?
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Sam ran off with Victor, so they likely wanted to avoid using a big hitter from the Uncharted games for a fifth time.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This is going to be a tough sell. I am not sure either of these two have the clout to carry on the Uncharted brand on their own.

It would have almost been better to give them their own brand and said something like "... an Uncharted Story" or something. Then let that brand build itself up using the good will of Uncharted without taking the chance of damaging Uncharted too much if it backfires.

Need I mention the damage Gears of War: Judgment or Halo: ODST did to their respective brands?

Plus it means if they ever want to relaunch Uncharted with Nathan it will be a big-bada-boom.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Game Informer: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy's Approach To Gender Diversity And Inclusion

Quote:
Today, Naughty Dog is busy working on two titles that are female-driven: The Last of Us Part II, where you play as Ellie, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, where Chloe and Nadine are reintroduced, but this time as protagonists. The Lost Legacy is the first game from Naughty Dog with two female leads who are also of color, with Nadine being a black woman and Chloe being half Indian. "Two women of color, that was happenstance, but we’ll take it," says writer Josh Scherr. "That representation is also important. It’s not the primary thing but it’s nice that it’s happening. I have a daughter and I would like her to see more positive role models or representations in games and the media in general."

Naughty Dog told us that while it believes having characters with different genders and backgrounds is important for representation, the team is first and foremost concerned about building realistic, human stories that are impactful. Choosing Chloe and Nadine as the two faces for The Lost Legacy had more to do with the team being fascinated with them for who they are, and how the two would contrast one another.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dog
Naughty Dog told us that while it believes having characters with different genders and backgrounds is important for representation, the team is first and foremost concerned about building realistic, human stories that are impactful. Choosing Chloe and Nadine as the two faces for The Lost Legacy had more to do with the team being fascinated with them for who they are, and how the two would contrast one another.
Realistic? Uncharted is fun but not realistic. Drake is an absolute killing machine in the series. He takes on entire armies using their own weapons against them usually, and when that doesn't work, he regularly punches several trained mercenaries to death at a time. The only one who is less realistic is Nadine since she beat this monster of a man with absolute ease (even with his brother's help if I remember correctly.)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I agree but I'd add Sully to that as well. Drake and Sully were a lot of fun and they certainly had the right amount of charm and wit. There's nothing really wrong with Chloe but I don't think she's got that strength of character to make me care the way Drake and Sully did. Hopefully I'm wrong.
I agree about Nathan and Sully. I didn't care much for Sam replacing Sully as the go-to partner in 4. I get it due to story and Sully's age, though. Still a great game, but it did lose some charm for me. The back and forth dialogue wasn't as snappy when Sully wasn't part of it.

I don't really care about these characters, so that's a minus. Then again, I didn't care about Nathan until I played one, so I'll try to keep an open mind. But if it's the same stuff with lesser characters, I'm not that interested.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
naughty dog, siea, the lost legacy, uncharted