Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Prey Developer Human...
Last post by thatlukeguy
Today 01:54 AM
3 Replies, 163 Views
Pure Evil - Job...
Last post by ministryofwrath
Today 01:51 AM
21 Replies, 688 Views
Disney+ Launches with...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 06:50 PM
11 Replies, 667 Views
Is PHYSICAL MEDIA...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 06:48 PM
7 Replies, 474 Views
New Sonic Trailer Debuts...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 06:39 PM
9 Replies, 659 Views
The Evil Avatar Code...
Last post by wunshot
Yesterday 12:17 PM
2 Replies, 356 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:59 AM
11 Replies, 613 Views
Midway Defeats Doctor...
Last post by MusicToEat
Yesterday 08:52 AM
11 Replies, 729 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #41
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think Iíve been hearing rumors about a more powerful Switch since the Switch launched, so Iíve always had that in the back of my mind. The couple of times I saw them on sale I hesitated because I didnít want to buy a system that had a more powerful system right around the corner.

Iím already well aware of the idea that my PS4 Pro will only be like 2 years old when the PS5 comes out and I wouldnít say Iím disappointed because Iím played a TON of crap on it, but it is always a bit of a bummer to have to run out and buy new hardware when a more powerful version of the machine comes out.

My kids have a lot of Switch games between the two of them, so I think when the more powerful Switch drops, Iíll probably pick one up. Iíve got like an instant library of dozens of games. Ha!

Yah, when the new Switch comes out (when, not if. its coming) I'm just gonig to trade in my current model for a good sized discount. Not the end of the world. That's why I didn't wait to buy one, despite the long standing rumor of a more powerful model. It's not that big a deal. Trade in the old model, drop another $125, call it a day. The games will all be compatible.
__________________
DialogQuest: Two dads on the quest of games, fatherhood, philosophy, reason and beer.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #42
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It's his point that the game is extremely well received by SOME and a Masterpiece in THEIR eyes. It got game of the year everywhere against some tough competition. A lot of gamers as well, myself included, really loved it - saw it as a masterpiece. But not all. Because Nintendo took a risk, went a different direction with a long loved franchise, and some Zelda enthusiasts, such as Chief, didnt prefer that direction. He's an example of what I was talking about with a sect of fans who didn't enjoy BotW as much.

I love it personally for all the experimentation and freedom in the game. You're SUPPOSED to title the hammer to hit this ball, to launch it forward, but instead someone tried something different - with mixed results

https://imgur.com/A6iyZzo <------

I personally haven't enjoyed a game more than BotW since playing it and see it as a masterpiece. The harshest critics on the game have actually been some long time Zelda fans - see Chief's comments.
Here's my question though, as a fan of the IP, wouldn't people WANT to see it evolve and grow as a game? Or just stay the same ol same ol? Me personally obviously I want to see stuff evolve as the tech gets better and you're no longer limited to what worked in the 80's.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #43
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Here's my question though, as a fan of the IP, wouldn't people WANT to see it evolve and grow as a game? Or just stay the same ol same ol? Me personally obviously I want to see stuff evolve as the tech gets better and you're no longer limited to what worked in the 80's.
That's a valid question. For sure. I personally enjoyed the change a lot. Some people didn't and I understand for them. To them it wasn't quite "Zelda". I was personally happy to see the change in direction. It was a little bit overdue IMO, but not everyone feels that way.

We might here similar complaints on the new Pokemon, which is going to be much more open world/exploration driven.

But again, all that stuff is good in the hood, but I want to see Nintendo take risks OUTSIDE their flagship IPs as well. I would really love to see an in-house developed Survival Horror from Nintendo, like I was saying. I want them to prove their chops on other genres. See where they measure up to the rest of the industry. I know you like powerful hardware. I've got a PC, so that helps. I personally have been enjoying the portability of the Switch. For me. Not everyone wants that. But my biggest gripe with Nintendo lately is not seeing enough games OUTSIDE their typical IPs and their typical wheelhouse. Splatoon games were fine and great, but again, it was very Nintendo. I want to see some things that aren't "very Nintendo" - and are a legitimate risk attempt outside their bread and butter.
__________________
DialogQuest: Two dads on the quest of games, fatherhood, philosophy, reason and beer.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #44
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
That's a valid question. For sure. I personally enjoyed the change a lot. Some people didn't and I understand for them. To them it wasn't quite "Zelda". I was personally happy to see the change in direction. It was a little bit overdue IMO, but not everyone feels that way.

We might here similar complaints on the new Pokemon, which is going to be much more open world/exploration driven.

But again, all that stuff is good in the hood, but I want to see Nintendo take risks OUTSIDE their flagship IPs as well. I would really love to see an in-house developed Survival Horror from Nintendo, like I was saying. I want them to prove their chops on other genres. See where they measure up to the rest of the industry. I know you like powerful hardware. I've got a PC, so that helps. I personally have been enjoying the portability of the Switch. For me. Not everyone wants that. But my biggest gripe with Nintendo lately is not seeing enough games OUTSIDE their typical IPs and their typical wheelhouse. Splatoon games were fine and great, but again, it was very Nintendo. I want to see some things that aren't "very Nintendo" - and are a legitimate risk attempt outside their bread and butter.
The odd thing Pat, we likely agree on more than you realize. As a comparison it's much like the old Bioware rpg's vs stuff like Dragon Age. It really boils down to the same thing, they couldn't do 3/4th perspective over head RPG's forever. At some point they had to move forward. I get it for those who care about portability I truly do, that isn't what I want out of a console tho. I want power, I want to see titles that push tech, I want to see new things or at least feel like improvements are being made.

Even in sports titles, I want the big presentation packages, on top of the game play, I want to see off the field presentation like player interviews or highlights from other games to make it feel immersive. Again just as an example. There is so much more developers can do they just have to spend the resources to get there. If I'm playing 162 games in a MLB The Show franchise for example, give me reasons to care about playing that many games in a season, make the game feel alive.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #45
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The odd thing Pat, we likely agree on more than you realize. As a comparison it's much like the old Bioware rpg's vs stuff like Dragon Age. It really boils down to the same thing, they couldn't do 3/4th perspective over head RPG's forever. At some point they had to move forward. I get it for those who care about portability I truly do, that isn't what I want out of a console tho. I want power, I want to see titles that push tech, I want to see new things or at least feel like improvements are being made.

Even in sports titles, I want the big presentation packages, on top of the game play, I want to see off the field presentation like player interviews or highlights from other games to make it feel immersive. Again just as an example. There is so much more developers can do they just have to spend the resources to get there. If I'm playing 162 games in a MLB The Show franchise for example, give me reasons to care about playing that many games in a season, make the game feel alive.
I agree. That's why I invested so heavily in my PC. It's nice to see tech pushed forward. And exactly - to take a game so mechanically sound as Baldur's Gate but leverage technology to put forward new ideas, larger, more detailed worlds.

Witcher 3, I mention it often (because I love it), is a prime example of a game that made the most of tech for it's time to become one of the best true fantasy RPGs of all time.

But I think where you and I maybe differ is that I still feel compelled to do the portable games on the Switch, some of the indie games like Dead Cells (which is a fantastic game, despite it's visual limitations). The gameplay is really there. It's a blast.

I'm very "gameplay" focused. But the presentation matters. No doubt.

I love sports and racing games and those games NEED good presentation for the reasons you cited. Fluid announcers, interviews, videos of important moments of the sport's history, on and on. They remind you why you enjoy playing a simulation of the sport, and keep you immersed. Racing is another genre that to me requires strong presentation. Because it's a true sim experience. The closer you get to the real thing, the more involved it is.

Not that arcade racers or weird little niche stuff in the genre like combat racing can't be enjoyable once in a while when done really well. Those games have a place, but I'm also interested in the pure sim. Particularly with sports and racing games.

NBA2k19 has some REAL flaws from a presentation standpoint that sort of spoil it, BUT something that is amazing is the history they baked into the game. To play with late 80s Celtics against a Magic lead Lakers. It's fucking awesome. I still wish Madden would bring back the "All-Teams" and the classic teams for each team, like the 85 Bears or the 97 Broncos. It's bullshit that they don't have those things where they once did. Im really into sports history. But yes, certainly on both accounts for me - sports and racing - the presentation improvements through technology are amazing.

So when I enjoy the Switch or Nintendo's offerings, that's not to say that I think it's the only way. I play PC games more than anything, and love seeing games that push tech (and subsequently immersion and gameplay) forward.

I just like laying in bed and playing a game like Dead Cells (or Bloodstained when I pick it up on Monday), while just relaxing too. There's a spot for that for ME, but clearly it's not for everyone. It's not your thing. Which is totally fine man. It's hard to beat some of the really great games that push hardware. Especially with you being a sports fan. That improved presentation is a must. I like playing Tecmo Bowl, but it's not going to scratch the itch nearly as much as an outstanding modern football game.

And I won't lie. Not everyone is wired this way mentally, but nostalgia also plays a small role in the hobby for me as well. It's a way, now that I'm a working man with a family to connect back to my childhood and who I used to be once in a while.
__________________
DialogQuest: Two dads on the quest of games, fatherhood, philosophy, reason and beer.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nintendo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 AM.