Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 01:52 PM
4 Replies, 448 Views

Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Fortnite Season 11 Ends with the Game Going Offline

Quote:
Fortnite's season 10 ended Sunday with a bang, as expected with an end event that would have introduced season 11.

The current season of Epic's popular battle royale shooter was scheduled to end on October 13, after the developer extended it by an extra week.

The biggest surprise for players was that the game was no longer playable after the end event started, according to CNET.

An explosive in-game, season-ending event, caused the destruction of the game itself.

All that was left was a black hole.

The official Fortnite Twitter account and website only show the black hole. The game's Instagram account shows the same.

Since the game ended, developer Epic deleted all of the more than 12,000 tweets on the Fortnite Twitter account, aside from the link to the stream of the black hole.
Fox News.

A leaked video shows Fortnite Chapter 2, Season 1 including swimming, boats, fishing and the ability to carry your team mates on a whole new map. Exciting stuff if you are still playing.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Juice
Knight

So they just turned the game off? If so thats kind of rude... what if people wanted to play?
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
So they just turned the game off? If so thats kind of rude... what if people wanted to play?
People are just screwed. So are streamers. It doesn't look like the game will be back until the 17th.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Juice
Knight

That sounds like a bizarre way to treat your customers to me, are people upset? or are we ok with games just going offline? I suppose its free so no right to complain?
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
That sounds like a bizarre way to treat your customers to me, are people upset? or are we ok with games just going offline? I suppose its free so no right to complain?
Free to play, but with paid $DLC which a lot of people are apparently shelling out money for because this is a huge money making game according to reports.

You know, this is why online games and games with online DRM are awesome. Because the publishers can turn them off whenever they want and, as long as it's in the EULA (and it always is), consumers can't do anything about it.

Sank a lot of cash into this game so far? Enjoy being rewarded by not being able to play so that Epic can enjoy some marketing at your expense.

EPIC: Thanks for the cash, but we will do what we want and you will keep paying us. Stupid marks...
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Aaah the black hole of DLC Dollars
Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

And...

It's back. Chapter 2, Season 1. It looks about the same. New map, with some new vehicles and fishing. I find the fishing thing weird, because it seems like stopping to fish is just an invitation to get shot in the back.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I find the fishing thing weird, because it seems like stopping to fish is just an invitation to get shot in the back.
Yes, but will it interrupt you buying cosmetics?

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Apparently fishing can get you weapons so I guess it will be worth it. I don't play the game much, only very occasionally with my sons but when I do play, I enjoy the gunplay and the exploration. I'm not big on the building though which means I'm not good at the game. But overall, I still think it's well done with good music and art, if you like that cartoony aesthetic. I think a big part of the hate it gets comes from its mega-popularity. As for the micro-transactions, I believe the only cash my sons ever spent on the game were on one of the initial battle passes and on the Save the World game. Everything else has been earned with in game currency.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Apparently fishing can get you weapons so I guess it will be worth it. I don't play the game much, only very occasionally with my sons but when I do play, I enjoy the gunplay and the exploration. I'm not big on the building though which means I'm not good at the game. But overall, I still think it's well done with good music and art, if you like that cartoony aesthetic. I think a big part of the hate it gets comes from its mega-popularity. As for the micro-transactions, I believe the only cash my sons ever spent on the game were on one of the initial battle passes and on the Save the World game. Everything else has been earned with in game currency.
I like the art a lot and I like the actual game that they created, the part that is now called Save the World. It's easy to forget that Battle Royale was added later as an afterthought when the Save the World part of the game didn't catch on right away. The building really only makes sense in Save the World.

What I don't like about Battle Royale is that it is dull. Either you get into fights right away, or you wander around forever trying to find someone else. Then it's a little 1v1 Deathmatch and if you are lucky enough to survive... it's back to wandering around again for another 10 minutes to try to find someone to kill.

As much as I like the art, I get bored super quick.

I'll admit that I'm not huge into Deathmatch any more anyway. I prefer Domination and I always liked CTF the best. It's a shame that Capture the Flag just disappeared as a gameplay mode. Mostly it seems like it was ruined by the Translocator and then everyone gave up on it after that.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
What I don't like about Battle Royale is that it is dull. Either you get into fights right away, or you wander around forever trying to find someone else. Then it's a little 1v1 Deathmatch and if you are lucky enough to survive... it's back to wandering around again for another 10 minutes to try to find someone to kill.
Maybe you should try it again. Apparently all the customers are unknowingly starting out playing against bots thinking they all of the sudden "got gud".

Nothing like a BR game instilling a false sense of pride in it's customer base to get that sweet sweet cosmetic money flowing through the storefront.

‘Fortnite’ Chapter 2: If You’re Suddenly Getting Victory Royale, It Might Be Bots

Old 10-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #12
Booda
Beam another Blast

Everyone Loves Fortnite’s New Dumb Idiot Bots

Quote:
That’s the point, and I keep hearing stories about kids especially who are suddenly placing a lot higher and getting their first wins because of the new bot system where they might be in a game full of mostly bots and not even know it. But this increases engagement and if you suddenly feel like you’re playing a lot better in Fortnite, chances are you may stick with it for longer, engage with it more often and uh, buy things, of course.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Having worked on (and sucked at playing) a BR game I can definitely say the sense of Victory in winning a match is a rush like very little you might find in gaming.

However, the reason it is so heady is because of how much work you put into getting it. If the idiot bots are so bad people are getting victory every match it will become desensitizing and players will be faced with playing for no reward or leaving. At which point sometimes the Sunk Cost fallacy may help retrain players.

However it look like Epic has rolled out a great system where players are slowly introduced to higher and higher levels of challenge with human players infiltrating the player's game at a higher rate the better the player is.

This is a good thing. If it works out well.

Also I don't know if there's any notice about "this was a REAL victory". That would be nice.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
Booda
Beam another Blast

Bots are making Fortnite players question what’s real

Basically Fortnite is a broken game but in this case it's by design & all in the name of selling cosmetics.

Fucking amazing really...

Tags
fortnite