Last post by Terran
Yesterday 01:28 PM
19 Replies, 1,137 Views

Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

FromSoftware's new game has leaked ~ Elden Ring, Miyazaki & George R.R Martin

Quote:
Elden Ring, developed by FromSoftware and Bandai Namco Entertainment, is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential Dark Souls video game series, and George R.R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.

• Hidetaka Miyazaki, President and Game Director of FromSoftware, known for directing critically-acclaimed games in beloved franchises including Armored Core, Dark Souls, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

• George R.R. Martin is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of many novels, including the acclaimed series A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast For Crows, and A Dance with Dragons. As a writer-producer, he has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films and pilots that were never made.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Must piss of people waiting on the next book to hear that Martin has a side hustle. Though I think his involvement is more about his name rather than anything personally taxing or involving.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Must piss of people waiting on the next book to hear that Martin has a side hustle. Though I think his involvement is more about his name rather than anything personally taxing or involving.
I dunno, many people after watching GoT season 8 seemed to have lost all interest in anything GoT related (good luck to HBO and their GoT spin-off series). And GRRM pretty much made it sound like the season 8 ending was the ending he was going for, except that it was going to be much longer, slower and drawn out with things better explained. But since many people were unhappy with what ultimately happened at the end, I don't see the next book to sell even close to expectations.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
I dunno, many people after watching GoT season 8 seemed to have lost all interest in anything GoT related (good luck to HBO and their GoT spin-off series). And GRRM pretty much made it sound like the season 8 ending was the ending he was going for, except that it was going to be much longer, slower and drawn out with things better explained. But since many people were unhappy with what ultimately happened at the end, I don't see the next book to sell even close to expectations.
I do agree that a terrible season will have stamped down enthusiasm for the new book, but there isn't a lot of cross over between people who read the books and watch the shows so I think that a lot of people will still buy the book.

I will be curious to see if he sticks with this ending. It was such crap and got such a negative reaction that I kinda expect him to change it. Double that since he has entire book to write before he gets to that point and it took him like 13 years to write this one. 13 years from now his attitude toward the ending might be a lot different than it is now.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Point. I didn't think that a related property ending could put cold water on enthusiasm for the core property.

In related news, just picked up Bloodborne. I hope this game has a better introduction than this one, though maybe Souls-style isn't for me.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Skunk
Evil Dead

Now they're just makin' shit up.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Sooo, he's going to start writing for this game only to have someone come in midway through to finish it because he is taking too long? Sounds like a win!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Sooo, he's going to start writing for this game only to have someone come in midway through to finish it because he is taking too long? Sounds like a win!
Likely, the guy is so fucking overrated in general it's not even funny at this point. GOT is a terrible show, always was.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I'd love to slap that stupid hat off his head.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I'd love to slap that stupid train conductor hat off his head.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Side Hustle(s)! He was pimping those little pewter figurines at comic cons the last few years. I seriously think it cut into his writing time, and his fat ass only has so much time left...
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I'd love to slap that stupid train conductor hat off his head.
I think he was going for the greek fisherman look. Still obscene however you cut it.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I do agree that a terrible season will have stamped down enthusiasm for the new book, but there isn't a lot of cross over between people who read the books and watch the shows so I think that a lot of people will still buy the book.

I will be curious to see if he sticks with this ending. It was such crap and got such a negative reaction that I kinda expect him to change it. Double that since he has entire book to write before he gets to that point and it took him like 13 years to write this one. 13 years from now his attitude toward the ending might be a lot different than it is now.
I think you're wrong. People have been waiting so long for a single book, much less a conclusion, they've satiated themselves with the show knowing that it was plotted out against drafts GRRM himself gave the writers should he kick the bucket before the end.

Now that we know the kinda-sorta jist of it, even if the show is the Cliff's Notes version, unless he changes things dramatically in the upcoming books to be 180 degrees from the show there is not going to be as much fanfare around the books.

I, as an early adopter of the books who read them multiple times including each one again each time he released a new one, am more than happy to let GRRM crawl off and die without ever seeing another book leave his Word Perfect machine.

The ending, based off his notes and plot points, was shit. Over the next 30 years and 2 books (if he manages to write that many in such a short time frame) he will use it to either explore the plot or retcon it to take the sting out but I think I'm going to die before the series is finished, much less him.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elden ring