Last post by Chimpbot
Today 06:32 AM
7 Replies, 393 Views

Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sea of Thieves Gameplay Launch Trailer

Quote:
Sea of Thieves Gameplay Launch Trailer Revealed!

With just five days to go before players can take to the seas at launch, we're excited to bring you the Sea of Thieves Gameplay Launch Trailer!

After our recent Lowdown on Launch live stream, we guess you may already know Everything There is to Know About Sea Of Thieves? Well, our mothers always told us to keep a bit of mystery about us and so we may have kept a few pirate pieces up our sleeves…

So all aboard the Hype Ship/Party Boat/Woop Sloop as we sail towards March 20th! It's an honour to have you all on board.

Remember, if you're keen to get your hands and hooks on the Black Dog Pack then you'll need to pre-order the game in what little time remains before launch. See you on the seas!
seaofthieves.com
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Played the Final BETA.

Here was my impression:

There's a lot of potential in this game. The game is gorgeous, and your boat's interaction with the water is top-notch. The boat really rises and falls well with the water. If the waves get high enough, your ship can even sink if you don't bail the water out in time. It FEELS like you're in a boat at sea. As much as you could possibly the feel that in a game.The visual representation and the act of driving and passengering a boat is done really well.

The game feels really cooperative. It really feels like you're playing the part as a crew member on a ship. You have to navigate around and the driver really can't do this alone. They're standing by the wheel, and they can't see anything in front of the ship if you have your sails down. You need someone operating the map and compass, you need someone directing the driver and manning the sails, and then you've got to operate the cannons as well. It makes for a sometimes hectic, very cooperative experience. I really enjoyed that part.

So you and your crew run various missions from different mission vendors to gain reputation and gold from 3 different "factions". Each faction has different types of missions they offer. 1. Hunting for treasure. 2. Combat-centric quests 3. Goods delivery.
These different mission types, aside from giving you reputation in those respective factions, also net you gold, which you can use to purchase a wide array of cosmetics for yourself and your ship. The items you buy don't seem to grant you any abilities or advantages, but they do increase the immersion and offer "bragging rights". It's a solid hook, and keeps you wanting to continue to do missions.

My main gripe with my experience with the BETA is the shallowness of the content. After the first few hours of the "wow" factor and the fun cooperative play, the missions started to feel really repetitive. The delivery missions are just outright boring. "Go here, pick up 2 of this item, deliver them over there". We found ourselves just electing not to do these missions outright. They felt more like a tedious chore after the first few. Looking for treasure is a little more interesting, but again, after 4-5 of these, it got pretty repetitive and stale. And at least in the BETA, there really wasn't anything more to the game than that. There's nothing else. No story, no other quest variation, no other mechanics.

The BETA at the time I tried it had locked away the combat-centric missions, so I didn't get to try those, which I'd imagine will offer the most "meat" to the game, but even then, I can't see that being enough of an offering to merit $60.

The game has a ton of potential, but the content is so shallow that I'd struggle to spend $30 on the game, let alone $60. You're essentially running repetitive quests over and over to get access to aesthetic items - and that's it. Unless the full version of the game offers something very substantial that wasn't available in the BETA, I have to skip this game. Which is a shame, because the foundation for a great game is there. I LOVED how cooperative the experience was. Being that MS/RARE is taking a "game as a service" approach to the title, I'd imagine they'll add a lot of content over time, and in 6 months to a year, and after a price drop, the value may be there. Otherwise, what you have is a beautiful looking game, a great sailing sim, and not a whole lot else.

Disappointingly shallow, with high potential in the future. I can't justify spending $60 on it.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Can't add much to the above post - I'm also passing on this despite being awfully excited as it was in development. Just wasn't enough either in the alphas/betas nor from what I've been able to conclude will be in the final product to warrant a day one purchase...if a purchase at all down the road at all.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

@PatrickRes9 Thank you. I was hoping someone would relay their experience with the Beta. Reading your post is enough for me to realize that this game is not for me.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Meeks
Evil Dead

While I can't disagree with any of the above, I still pre-ordered. The thrill of ship-to-ship combat and satisfaction of a well-coordinated team operating a ship are enough to keep me coming back for more. I figure the other stuff will improve in due time. This game is quite fun.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

It is fun, but I felt like after a couple hours with the beta I had seen all there is to offer. I believe I heard that there can only be like 4 to 6 ships and up to 16 people in a single instance, so that kind of killed a lot for me and tells me the game world is incredibly small.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

This is the service-seller for XBox Game Pass.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
It is fun, but I felt like after a couple hours with the beta I had seen all there is to offer. I believe I heard that there can only be like 4 to 6 ships and up to 16 people in a single instance, so that kind of killed a lot for me and tells me the game world is incredibly small.
Yah, that's the other thing I forgot to mention. The world felt pretty empty. Just after "dinner time" EST I'd see some people - maybe 6-7 in the same world over a span of an hour and a half, but even then it felt really empty. By 9:30pm EST, there was no one in sight. So waging war on someone's ship and maybe taking any chests they might have (if any) never happened.

One mildly amusing thing happened with another player. We accidentally set our team to 3, and there was just two of us. A 3rd rando joined our team and was trolling us. So we locked him in the prison of our ship. We died shortly after, and it respawned us with our teammate (the guy locked in the prison), and we were all stuck in the prison. You need 2 votes to release someone, and he wouldn't vote to release either of us, so as far as we could tell, we were stuck in our own ship's prison with no way to get out. Ended out quitting and restarting the game. I'd borderline consider that a bug, unless we missed a way to get out.

Just not enough meat on the bones to pay $60 for me. I experienced just about everything within maybe 3 hours of gameplay and the "wow" was already wearing off quickly. I hope that'll change in the course of maybe a year with more content and a price drop, but by then I may be over it. That's the problem with these "games as as service" - release now, add content later type games. You pass on them at launch because they don't have enough meat to the game, then by the time they do, you just have no desire to go back to the game. It's "old news" and you're already playing 4-5 other games.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
@PatrickRes9 Thank you. I was hoping someone would relay their experience with the Beta. Reading your post is enough for me to realize that this game is not for me.
Yah, it sucks, because I was looking forward to it a lot. I've been eyeing it for a while now. Just for me personally, the depth/content just wasn't there. It was a novelty that wore off after a small handful of hours.

Ton of potential though. I'd guess 1 year from now it'll be worth revisiting.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I have been in since the first alpha and have really enjoyed it. It's like EVE or GTA Online, the meat of the game is going to be dependent on your player interactions. To put it in perspective in the AMA they did on Reddit today they said they are planning on having dice and playing cards in game, but no official dice or poker mode with rules. That really sums up the philosophy of this game, it is pretty brilliant if you ask me. I never hit that boredom point that some people are mentioning, but I do have a really good group of friends that love sandboxes like this and so this is definitely aimed at us. YMMV.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of thieves