【WE'RE BACK!】RECENT GAME...
Last post by PacerDawn
Today 06:01 PM
2 Replies, 115 Views

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

METAL JESUS ROCKS!: The Best Of the Best Ofs - Part 1

If you were at home watching television in the USA last night and hoping to catch some hot new episodes of your favorite shows, then you might have been disappointed to discover that--due to some trivial conflation over a leathery prolate spheroid--most of the networks were airing re-runs and season highlights, hoping against hope to draw ratings even approaching those of the commercials on the station hosting that other event.

Not that there's anything wrong with repeat marathons of your favorite shows. They can be a great way to get back up to speed where things left off, and you might even catch some things you missed the first time around. The same holds true with gaming compilations. Sure, they might be an attempt to re-sell you a bunch of games you've bought and/or been playing via other means for years, possibly even decades. But there's a certain elegance and convenience of packaging that you have to appreciate when lots of good releases are brought together on a single disc.

This week, the Metal Jesus gives us the first half of his "Best of the Best Ofs" rundown showcasing his favorite gaming compilations. Some things new, some things old, and all things awesome. Knock out the last of your SuperBowl hangover by watching the below non-repeat episode of METAL JESUS ROCKS!:

The Metal Slug Anthology is indeed a great title to pick-up. But if you're going to grab it, let me recommend the far-superior PS2 version over the deeply flawed Wii release.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Great choices so far. That's one area I need to hit up ebay on before they get crazy pricy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
Great choices so far. That's one area I need to hit up ebay on before they get crazy pricy.
Yeah, it's the right time to be picking up PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube releases as I doubt they're going to get much cheaper before those systems get old enough and prices start creeping up again. I grabbed all three Midway Arcade Treasures releases for the original Xbox for less than $10 at a local game shop last year using a B2G1 offer. Amazing value for all the games I got.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
The Metal Slug Anthology is indeed a great title to pick-up. But if you're going to grab it, let me recommend the far-superior PS2 version over the deeply flawed Wii release.
Thanks for clarifying that, as I haven't played the PS2 version... although the PSP version I own is pretty good too, despite the slow load times.

I would like to see somebody create the definitive Commodore 64 arcade games collection for modern consoles. Just stick to joystick arcade games so you don't have to emulate the C64 keyboard, but include games like:

Bruce Lee
Last Ninja
Impossible Mission
Great Gianna Sisters
Wizball
Pitstop II
Jumpman
Space Taxi

etc...etc...etc.. I would love that.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

...and since you mentioned the Super Bowl... I have to put my .02 cents in and say I laughed out loud at the GoDaddy commercial! I thought it was funny, and yes...it was meant to be awkward. But that was the point.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Was kind of disappointed with this year's commercials, although there were a few gems. The Doritos "old folks running wild" ad was pretty great, and the goat one made me laugh out loud as well. Although I think the Paul Harvey "Farmer" spot was probably the best all around, even though it obviously wasn't on any kind of funny level.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Found this on eBay. Metal Jesus, are you cashing out or something?

Cool link here
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Found this on eBay. Metal Jesus, are you cashing out or something?

Cool link here
Damn!! That's a pretty impressive collection there. Wouldn't mind integrating it into my own
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

The problem is, when you start tossing out a number like half a million for what are, still, just a bunch of old videogames, cognitive dissonance kicks in and I think you scare off pretty much all potential buyers. Pretty sure that if this guy wants to sell off his collection, he's going to have to at the very least sell it in lots. I'd be shocked if this auction gets any bids, even if technically speaking it's a good value based on going collector values. At the cumulative price, his target demographic is, pretty much, a sports star or celebrity who suddenly decide they want to hop on the retrogaming bandwagon and doesn't mind paying the buy-in for an admittedly nice collection. But even then, a cool half-mill is some pretty hefty sticker shock, even for someone with more money than sense.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
The problem is, when you start tossing out a number like half a million for what are, still, just a bunch of old videogames, cognitive dissonance kicks in and I think you scare off pretty much all potential buyers.
Maybe the Video Game Museum should take a look at this. They're always bemoaning preservation of video games is really shabby. This collection could fill a lot of historical gaps.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compilations, metal jesus, metal jesus rocks, review, video