Frostpunk - Launch...
Last post by Mozain
Today 08:50 AM
5 Replies, 719 Views

Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Jumanji Pushes Star Wars off the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Move over, Star Wars, there are some new box office champs this weekend. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle has topped the charts after three weekends in theaters, and newcomer Insidious: The Last Key opened in second, pushing The Last Jedi into third place.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the Weekend of January 5th to January 7th, 2018.
  1. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $36.0/$244.3
  2. Insidious: The Last Key $29.2/$29.2
  3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi $23.5/$572.5
  4. The Greatest Showman $13.8/$75.9
  5. Pitch Perfect 3 $10.2/$85.9
  6. Ferdinand $7.7/$70.4
  7. Molly's Game $7.0/$14.2
  8. Darkest Hour $6.3/$28.3
  9. Coco $5.5/$192.0
  10. All the Money in the World $3.5/$20.1
  11. The Shape of Water $3.1/$21.6
  12. I, Tonya $2.4/$5.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Lawl, I hear it's also failing in China. The fights are boring to Chinese moviegoers apparently.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Lawl, I hear it's also failing in China. The fights are boring to Chinese moviegoers apparently.
Say what you want about the prequels but I think they set a high bar when it came to the light saber duels. Force Awakens paled in comparison and Last Jedi really didn't even have one.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

A low budget Asian martial arts film (so so sooooo many of those) has far better fight scene choreography and stunts than TLJ did, so that wouldn't surprise me if they're bored with it.

I think it makes 1-3 look much, much better in retrospect. Perhaps that's the only silver lining in Disney's quest to ruin SW.

On a side note, I have seen more films in the past few months than ever in my life, and it's been a lot of fun to do it with MoviePass and not have to feel bothered by whether the film is any good or not. I pay $10/month whether the films I see are great, mediocre, or terrible, so I see more and catch a few gems now and then. Loved Downsizing. Hilarious. See it. All the Money in the World was pretty good, too. Getty comes off as a true asshole in the film; not sure what he was like in real life, but probably in that ballpark, lol.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
This would mean something if Star Wars was actually popular in China...but it never has been. The previous six movies didn't fare all that well in China, so there's no reason to expect the new ones to somehow buck the trend.

China never really cared for Star Wars.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
LostToys
Evil Dead

The previous six films didn't fare well because they were not allowed in China. It was only recently that the films have been allowed to be viewed in China, so there is not as much of a built-in audience like the rest of the world.

Additionally, Star Wars seems to be popular with older viewers, which are less likely to go to the theaters and will age out of the films. This will be worrying for Disney as China is now becoming a very important and competitive market.

In all, The Last Jedi did well (1.2 billion) but has to be a disappointment for Disney as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story pulled in a billion (1.05 billion) and it was a spin-off, not a mainline entry in the Star Wars films.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Surprising that jumanji is doing so well. I like the 4 leads but have zero interest. Granted I don't like the original. Trailer just looked like it was trying to hard to me .
Old 01-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Jumanji is a good throwback movie. It knows exactly what it wants to be, is somewhat smart in how it handles its language for games (ex. NPCs never saying more than a couple of pre-canned lines; NPCs only talking to the main character; characters with set number of lives; a well thought out respawn system that is used as an exploit) and characters that properly embody that they are someone else in their bodies.

It is not an insulting movie about video-game players and video-game characters, so the end result is something everybody can relate to and find something to walk away smiling about.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Surprising that jumanji is doing so well. I like the 4 leads but have zero interest. Granted I don't like the original. Trailer just looked like it was trying to hard to me .
I saw it this weekend with my wife, oldest stepson (19) and my 6 year old son.

I had the exact same outlook as you did: Decent line of the actors... just no interest.

I'll say this: The movie was fun. It isn't groundbreaking, deep, making strides in cinematography, but it was a fun movie. Kevin Hart is just goddamn hilarious no matter what he's in.

All in all, if you have kids, it's a good time. If you don't, wait until it's on something cheaper to watch.

I enjoyed it & was surprised that I did.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Fast and the Furious didn't have a huge following in China either. Still made a ton of money. China is a huge cinema market now, Hollywood is trying to tap into it.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The previous six films didn't fare well because they were not allowed in China. It was only recently that the films have been allowed to be viewed in China, so there is not as much of a built-in audience like the rest of the world.

Additionally, Star Wars seems to be popular with older viewers, which are less likely to go to the theaters and will age out of the films. This will be worrying for Disney as China is now becoming a very important and competitive market.

In all, The Last Jedi did well (1.2 billion) but has to be a disappointment for Disney as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story pulled in a billion (1.05 billion) and it was a spin-off, not a mainline entry in the Star Wars films.
Donít quote me, but I think I read an article saying that western movie interest is dying in China as they are beginning to make films of their own that cater more to their taste and demographic.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

I lived overseas and there is a lot about a film that just does not translate well across cultures. I'll never forget sitting in a theater in Seoul with my American buddy during a subtitled showing of an American film. There were some hilarious parts and we'd laugh and laugh when the rest of the audience was silent. The humor just didn't translate well into subtitled Korean.

Add to that the fact that overseas film industries are quite active all on their own (India has Bollywood, Hong Kong has an established film industry, mainland China does, Cannes in France, etc.) and you realize that it's not all about Hollywood around the globe.

But don't worry, Hollywood will find a way to pander to get those dollars. They're bold and brave when it costs them nothing domestically, but silent (e.g. Tibet and blackballing Richard Gere) when it comes to overseas issues of far more substance and importance.

#HollywoodHypocrites
#SoBrave

Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
xplics
Dread Lord

WOW! This is totally out of left field for me. I really expected this movie to bomb and bomb hard. Maybe the nostalgia is strong here because it is a remake...or....dare I say it the flick is actually good.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplics View Post
WOW! This is totally out of left field for me. I really expected this movie to bomb and bomb hard. Maybe the nostalgia is strong here because it is a remake...or....dare I say it the flick is actually good.
The Rock, Jack Black, token black man, token white woman, HOW COULD IT NOT BE A HIT?!?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I lived overseas and there is a lot about a film that just does not translate well across cultures. I'll never forget sitting in a theater in Seoul with my American buddy during a subtitled showing of an American film. There were some hilarious parts and we'd laugh and laugh when the rest of the audience was silent. The humor just didn't translate well into subtitled Korean.

Add to that the fact that overseas film industries are quite active all on their own (India has Bollywood, Hong Kong has an established film industry, mainland China does, Cannes in France, etc.) and you realize that it's not all about Hollywood around the globe.

But don't worry, Hollywood will find a way to pander to get those dollars. They're bold and brave when it costs them nothing domestically, but silent (e.g. Tibet and blackballing Richard Gere) when it comes to overseas issues of far more substance and importance.

#HollywoodHypocrites
#SoBrave
I honestly think thatís part of the reason why Disneyís movies have become so overt and dumb with their humor. When Poe Dameron makes a joke in Disney Star Wars, the music actually stings like a record scratch to signal to everyone ďthis is a joke!í.

In Guardians Of The Galaxy, every character literally says out loud exactly where they are in their arc. I think itís to help foreign audiences not get lost.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
The Rock, Jack Black, token black man, token white woman, HOW COULD IT NOT BE A HIT?!?
The rock is black. So technically you have ďtwo token black menĒ, if you choose to be so reductive for whatever reason.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I honestly think thatís part of the reason why Disneyís movies have become so overt and dumb with their humor. When Poe Dameron makes a joke in Disney Star Wars, the music actually stings like a record scratch to signal to everyone ďthis is a joke!í.

In Guardians Of The Galaxy, every character literally says out loud exactly where they are in their arc. I think itís to help foreign audiences not get lost.
That helps with kids too of course. Those movies have jokes my son just doesn't get and yet he still knows that "now is the time to laugh." It doesn't necessarily mean that the joke is bad. But it does feel like you're one step away from a flashing "Laugh now!" sign.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Donít quote me, but I think I read an article saying that western movie interest is dying in China as they are beginning to make films of their own that cater more to their taste and demographic.
China has always preferred and consumed its own content, but there has been a fever pitch the last couple of years for Western films because of deregulation on the film industry and more film production/distribution houses in China willing to take more risks importing films. Go to any modern film and you will likely see at least one major Chinese production company, distributor, or brand in the credits. This was not the case a decade ago, or hell, even 5 years ago.

What has changed for the domestic Chinese market is that more people, in general, are going to the cinemas. It used to be a pirates paradise where you would rent/buy the latest release and watch it at home. Now people are more willing to go to the cinemas, which is why you are seeing huge box office returns for films like Mermaid and Ex-Files. The type of returns these films are getting used to be reserved only for the hug epics like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but are fast becoming the norm as it becomes acceptable to use your money to go the cinema for vapid entertainment.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 AM   #19
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
A low budget Asian martial arts film (so so sooooo many of those) has far better fight scene choreography and stunts than TLJ did
That's a bit of a reach, maybe low budget Vietnamese rom coms have far better fight scenes and choreography would be a better example.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
A low budget Asian martial arts film (so so sooooo many of those) has far better fight scene choreography and stunts than TLJ did
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
That's a bit of a reach, maybe low budget Vietnamese rom coms have far better fight scenes and choreography would be a better example.
lol. Okay then; not sure if serious...

Vietnam is in Asia, last I checked. Been there myself. Great place to visit, but not to live.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart