25 Replies, 1,892 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Switch Hits 2 Million Sales in the US

MCV has the story.

Quote:
The Nintendo Switch has sold 2m units in the US, the platform holder has announced, after the console claimed its third straight month at No.1 in the US hardware charts. According to the latest NPD data, the Switch was the top-selling console once again this September, marking its third consecutive month at No.1 and the fifth time in seven months it's claimed the monthly top spot since launch.

Add those 2m units to Japan's 1.8m units (going by Famitsu's hardware data), and the console is almost certain to have crossed the 4m threshold, if not 5m, once you take into account other territories – an impressive feat considering we haven't even hit Christmas yet.

If that wasn't good enough news for the platform holder, Nintendo claimed two thirds of September's total hardware sales overall when Switch sales are combined with Nintendo 3DS and Classic Mini SNES sales. In the software charts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle made it to No.7, Metroid Samus Returns debuted at No.8, while Breath of the Wild continues to hang fast at No.10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, meanwhile, claimed No.11. Even more impressive is the fact that Nintendo never includes digital download sales in NPD's charts, so all these positions represent physical sales only.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I don't get it, it has definite hardware issues with the screen being scratched so easily with the poor designed dock, there is still having issues with the joycon disconnecting, and the lack of backwards compatibility with the only games being available are regurgitated Wii U games. I will get one, but it will be when there is a game worth playing. And don't say Mario Odyssey, that game looks like garbage.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

It is a portable console. If you look at the game that have sold the most digital, they are not Nintendo games, but rather Indy titles. A lot of people are looking to double dip on their purchases simply because they have a portable title of something. So as long a you like Nintendo games and Indies, you have a pretty good reason to purchase the Switch because it can used anywhere.

I personally only really play AAA titles, so the Switch is only used for Nintendo published properties at the moment. Luckily this year is packed with titles, so I am not feeling as bad as I did with the WiiU or the first year of the 3DS, but we will see how long this keeps up.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #4
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

At what number can someone say, "Yay it sold a load down to the nay-sayers!' without being trampled on by people wanting it to fail?

Still not bought one. Waiting for it to hit £120/£150.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Mario Odyssey, that game looks like garbage.

What Mario game has ever been garbage? There are rumors of early reviews giving it 10s
Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

No units available during months after launch, only now do I see them but collecting dust on the shelves. Nintendo needs to drop hardware and just bring their games to the mobile market.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped'Up View Post
No units available during months after launch, only now do I see them but collecting dust on the shelves. Nintendo needs to drop hardware and just bring their games to the mobile market.
Switch not selling out anymore.
Collecting dust
Selling out 100% of the time is the only way to sell anything.

Once Mario is out, it will start selling out again. Then again for Fire Emblem, then Metriod, then Yoshi, then Project X, then Monster Hunter, then Animal Crossing, then Phoenix Wright, then Mario And Luigi RPG, then Hyrule Warriors, then Bravely Default, then Xenoblade, THEN! Pokemon games. Then your sitting around 60 Million sold. Then come the refreshes and more portable versions of the switch.

This mobile argument is way done. Microsoft will leave hardware before Nintendo does.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Microsoft and Sony both had similar issues during their hardware launches. The PS4 - as the most recent example - was difficult to find for five months after it launched.

It's currently the end of October and we're just a few short weeks away from the beginning of the holiday season; you'll find plenty of hardware sitting on shelves right now because people are going to be holding off on larger purchases until they start buying shit for Christmas. Besides, it's not as if shelf-clearing sales activity is the only way for things to be selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I don't get it, it has definite hardware issues with the screen being scratched so easily with the poor designed dock, there is still having issues with the joycon disconnecting, and the lack of backwards compatibility with the only games being available are regurgitated Wii U games. I will get one, but it will be when there is a game worth playing. And don't say Mario Odyssey, that game looks like garbage.
The issues with the Joy Cons were corrected back in March, backwards compatibility would have been extraordinarily difficult (how exactly do you expect DVDs to function properly with the Switch?) and the lineup has been pretty strong so far, especially for the first seven months of the console's life (this is, of course, subjective. I'v been pleased with the games I've had access to thus far.)

The dock thing is horse shit, but it's also easily correctable with an $8 screen protector folks would have probably bought anyway. It's still bullshit, but it is what it is.

If you think Odyssey looks like garbage...well, then fair enough. It's subjective, but I'd like to hear why you think it's garbage.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 10-23-2017 at 07:03 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
They've sold 2 million units just in the States in the 7 months it's been launched, after having a horrendous console cycle the previous generation. I'm sure Nintendo is very happy where they are. Why would they drop hardware?

So, if they don't produce enough to meet demand, they're artificially inflating. If they produce enough to keep shelves stocked, they're failing. What's the sweet spot? Store employees do a better job dusting their products?

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 10-23-2017 at 07:25 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post

So, if they don't produce enough to meet demand, they're artificially inflating. If they produce enough to keep shelves stocked, they're failing. What's the sweet spot? Store employees do a better job dusting their products?

Clearly, if you see a system in a store its been sitting there for months. Nintendo, doomed.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Ummm... So, is the consensus that 2 million units is a great number? Because I don't think so. Nintendo still has a long way to go to get 3rd-party developers and publishers back on board, and I sincerely doubt that 6 million units (worldwide, according to VGChartz) after 6-7 months will do the trick. I know it's more, but it feels like Vita territory to me. Great start, then - nothing. I sure hope that Mario will bring in the Christmas crowd...

BTW, does anyone know how many SNES Minis have been produced/sold so far?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Clearly, if you see a system in a store its been sitting there for months. Nintendo, doomed.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Ummm... So, is the consensus that 2 million units is a great number? Because I don't think so. Nintendo still has a long way to go to get 3rd-party developers and publishers back on board, and I sincerely doubt that 6 million units (worldwide, according to VGChartz) after 6-7 months will do the trick. I know it's more, but it feels like Vita territory to me. Great start, then - nothing. I sure hope that Mario will bring in the Christmas crowd...

Yeah its pretty good for just one country. If i had to guess its at about 6-7 million worldwide.

PS3 sold 3.6 Million its first year.
Wii 10 Million
360 10 Million
3DS 2.3 Million
Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead

I didn't read you entire post before i replied.. yeah vgchartz. That's pretty good for only having just a few games to play. Those 3DS IP's are going to be big.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post

For the first seven months, yeah; 2 million units isn't anything to sneeze at. The 6 million worldwide figure would be a similar pace as the PS4 during it's first six months.

It's performing very well and it currently on pace to be up there amongst the most successful consoles, in terms of units actually purchased by consumers; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Switch crest 12 million units worldwide by March 2018.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
t3kl3r
Evil Dead

One factor that seems important, is that the global 6m figure is as of August 26.

Source: Global weekly "Global Hardware by Platform" (VGChartz)

Didn't Nintendo recently state they're trying to produce 2m units a month? If they meet that goal, they have the potential to have sold another 8m units by the end of the year (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec sales).
t3kl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Glad it is doing ok. Still not getting one anytime soon. I have no interest in Zelda or last Gen Mario cart. Give me punch out, f zero and a new Mario maker and I will gladly throw my wallet at Nintendo.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

And yet there's still maybe 2 games worth owning the pos for and that's if only if you have a hardon for Nintendo IP.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

I still think it's a 50-50 proposition whether this thing flourishes or dies on the vine. Honestly, 2 mil. doesn't sound like enough.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I still think it's a 50-50 proposition whether this thing flourishes or dies on the vine. Honestly, 2 mil. doesn't sound like enough.
It's 2 million in the US; the global figures match the global figures of the PS4 for the same time period during it's respective launch.

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch, switch, the big n