Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 07:58 PM
23 Replies, 2,032 Views

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

TITANS - Official Trailer #DCUniverse

Quote:
TITANS follows young heroes from across the DC Universe as they come of age and find belonging in a gritty take on the classic Teen Titans franchise. Pre-order now at DCUniverse.com. #DCUniverse
Lots of people are trashing this one for being the traditional DC "dark and gritty", but I've always felt that DC should keep going in that direction. They should be the anti-Marvel.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

The hell is going on with Starfire's hair...
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

The Pitch:
Riverdale! But with DC superheroes!

Looks like some shitty CW show that didn't make the cut. And Raven is such an annoying little whimpering bitch, even the TTG version was better.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Don't have The Punisher? Robin is The Punisher now! Problem solved.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicToEat View Post
The hell is going on with Starfire's hair...
Yea, I see a lot of comments about the fact that Starfire is wearing a bad "ethnic" wig and that her flame powers are actual flames instead of energy waves.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Yea, I see a lot of comments about the fact that Starfire is wearing a bad "ethnic" wig and that her flame powers are actual flames instead of energy waves.
I hate myself for saying this but I think they wanted to fill the african american quota here. Yup. I said it. I think a dark tanned skinned philipino girl that was gentle woulda fit the bill better.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
DingBat
Evil Dead

I actually kinda liked the trailer. I agree that dark and dirty was the only way to go with the Titans, given how wholesome all the other versions have been.

Yeah, Starfire is .... different, but I'll hold judgement until the series is actually out. You kinda knew there'd be some changes to her character given her costume, right?
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Lots of people are trashing this one for being the traditional DC "dark and gritty", but I've always felt that DC should keep going in that direction. They should be the anti-Marvel.
This will always be the wrong assessment of what DC "should do". Aside from the Batman books and a handful of others, the average DC book simply isn't any darker or grittier than the average Marvel book.

Becoming the "anti-Marvel" and making everything grimdark and gritty actually flies in the face of the tone of most of their books, plain and simple.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This will always be the wrong assessment of what DC "should do". Aside from the Batman books and a handful of others, the average DC book simply isn't any darker or grittier than the average Marvel book.

Becoming the "anti-Marvel" and making everything grimdark and gritty actually flies in the face of the tone of most of their books, plain and simple.
I'm going to have to disagree with you entirely on the basis of the reception of a little known movie called The Dark Knight.

Aping Marvel may have been par for the course before but what nolan did with the dark knight was easily the best representation of what we were looking for in DC movies as an adult. I don't know if you remember flashpoint or not or the later animated movies but it's definitely not sunshine and rainbows and starkly mature especially the transition of JL:U to young justice taking on serious tones between the moments of levity.

The real shame here is Nolan's personal direction just didn't motivate him to further continue making superhero movies but with how creative his projects are I can hardly fault him to not want to be stuck in that mold.

Last edited by Exodus; 07-20-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The two most successful DC comics of all time have been The Dark Knight and Watchmen. The most successful of the DC movies was The Dark Knight.

The darker they go with these characters, the more popular their products are. When they go the other direction and try to “Batgirl” a title, it usually fails in 6 issues ore less.

The sales of DC comics in the gritty 80’s period were half a million units or more. Now every their most popular title, Batman, sells an average of 75,000 copies a month. What they are doing just isn’t working.

Going back to what worked in the 80’s could be the answer, but we will never know because their current management doesn’t really have a clue what the tone should be and doesn’t even bother with titles for some of their best characters (Legion, Joker, Swamp Thing, John Constantine, Jonah Hex... All the Kirby New Gods... I could go on and on.)

They look at the success of the Marvel movies and they want to be that, but Marvel comics don’t sell either because the Marvel comics don’t have any of the teams and characters from the movies. Marvel is a mess of parallel versions of all of their teams and characters that are so mixed up you could pick up something called Spider-Man and get a blonde bimbo from a parallel universe. There is something wrong there.

The only people who understand the Marvel characters are the people making the movies. And the only person who understands the DC characters is Zack Snyder, who didn’t even get to finish his Justice League movie. So, there’s that.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Starfire still look like a cheap hooker.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
Xqa
Reaper

Nope.

Double nope since one nope is too short.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you entirely on the basis of the reception of a little known movie called The Dark Knight.
As I mentioned, aside from Batman (and the last time I checked, The Dark Knight was Batman-related), most of the DC comic books aren't all that grim, gritty or dark.

Quote:
Aping Marvel may have been par for the course before but what nolan did with the dark knight was easily the best representation of what we were looking for in DC movies as an adult.
I think your recollection is a little screwed up; The Dark Knight came out the same year as Iron Man, well before the MCU was even remotely recognizable, let alone solidified. There was no MCU to ape at that time.

Quote:
I don't know if you remember flashpoint or not or the later animated movies but it's definitely not sunshine and rainbows and starkly mature especially the transition of JL:U to young justice taking on serious tones between the moments of levity.
Most of the DC books are still much, much lighter than the general reputation company has implies.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
The two most successful DC comics of all time have been The Dark Knight and Watchmen. The most successful of the DC movies was The Dark Knight.

The darker they go with these characters, the more popular their products are. When they go the other direction and try to “Batgirl” a title, it usually fails in 6 issues ore less.
I somewhat disagree with this. Dark and gritty works for Batman and Watchmen, but not really for Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman. Batman has always had that outside the law vigilante angle, Watchmen is based on film noir. Superman and Wonder Woman, on the other hand, have always been about hope and optimism. Dark and gritty just doesn't fit the characters imo.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
As I mentioned, aside from Batman (and the last time I checked, The Dark Knight was Batman-related), most of the DC comic books aren't all that grim, gritty or dark.
See, to me I don't see the dark knight as dark and gritty. It's less cartoon, less zany and a bit more solemn because the characters are just more real not in that anyone acts that way but in that they would act that way if they were real. [/quote]

Quote:
I think your recollection is a little screwed up; The Dark Knight came out the same year as Iron Man, well before the MCU was even remotely recognizable, let alone solidified. There was no MCU to ape at that time.
Well if we're going to play that game then the dark knight isn't even in this category because it's not actually part of dc's 'DCU' being its own self contained trilogy.

Quote:
Most of the DC books are still much, much lighter than the general reputation company has implies.
The old shit yes but the animated series has run the spectrum as a roller coaster that is starkly adult between between what is usual super hero shit which I just gotta point out you didn't acknowledge so I'm comfortable in saying you don't know anything about current stuff.

I'll agree that superman/wonder woman don't need to be the same style of nolan's batman but the superman snyder story was an entirely new silver screen perspective on how to perceive superman's struggle from cw's smallville soap opera bullshit. I liked snyder's superman and even though batman vs superman was missing their version of levity that marvel gives via thor/hulk/loki it didn't do what nolan does which is captivate you with well thought out intelligent story telling, plot devicing and excellent dialogue directed in a way that makes you forget you're watching a screen.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

The most disastrous tailor I've ever seen. Reactions in my discord ranged from "What is this? This isn't any of these characters!" to "I hope no one watches this. No, not merely bomb to be cancelled but an actual zero viewership, so the planet Earth has no memory to need wish away."
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This will be like Happy, it will be a massive hit. I love anything that flies in the face of the crap Geoff Johns is doing to DC.

Tags
dc universe, titans