Yesterday 09:41 PM
7 Replies, 305 Views

Old 01-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Horizon Zero Dawn Coming to PC?

Quote:
Sources: Horizon: Zero Dawn is Coming to PC

The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, an open-world game set in a post-apocalyptic version of the United States that has been overrun by robot dinosaurs, launched for PS4 in February 2017. It was critically acclaimed and commercially successful for its developer, Guerrilla Games, which is owned and operated by Sony. And, like other Sony-published games over the past two decades, it was exclusive to a PlayStation console, helping drive sales of Sony’s hardware in addition to generating revenue on its own.

Now, three years later, Horizon will be on another platform for the first time. We expect to see the game on both Steam and the Epic Games Store when it launches (although that may not be finalized yet). It will be the first Guerrilla game on a non-PlayStation platform since Sony purchased the Netherlands-based studio in 2005. It will also be an opportunity for Guerrilla to show off its technical chops—Horizon: Zero Dawn, restrained by the PlayStation 4's hardware, was locked at a framerate of 30 frames per second. We expect the PC version to be more capable.

This will be the first big exclusive game from a Sony-owned developer to come to PC. Death Stranding, which launched for PS4 last November and will also arrive on PC later this year, was funded and published by Sony but developed by an independent studio, Kojima Productions. (In fact, the PC version of Death Stranding is published by a different company, 505 Games.) The French studio Quantic Dream, also independent, had a similar arrangement last year, self-publishing its games Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human on PC without Sony’s involvement.
It would be great news for PC gamers, but I don't have any faith at all that Kotaku has a legitimate source. "three people familiar with Sony's plans" sounds like the friend of a friend is their source. That's pretty sketchy.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Meeks
Evil Dead

It would be nice to see Sony adopt a strategy like Microsoft and embrace the PC, allowing games to be played on either platform.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
It would be nice to see Sony adopt a strategy like Microsoft and embrace the PC, allowing games to be played on either platform.
Sure but then they'd lose all their PS4 "exclusives" and no one would buy an overpriced playstation.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Meeks
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Sure but then they'd lose all their PS4 "exclusives" and no one would buy an overpriced playstation.
It's an interesting thought. But a games-capable PC wouldn't be any cheaper. They could obviously develop their own PC app to keep folks within the Playstation "ecosystem". Their PS4 exclusives aren't enough to entice someone like me to purchase a PS4. But I'd absolutely consider subscribing to their service and purchasing their games on the PC. Basically, would the revenue lost to those who opt to not purchase a PS4 in favor of playing on PC outweigh the revenue gained from people like me, from whom they currently receive zero revenue?
Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I'd buy it on the PC.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

The game on a PS4 pro with ssd was better than most PC games. I can see them releasing it on PC and making the new one PS5 exclusive to sell PS5s.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

I played this game on the hardest difficulty setting on my first (and only) playthrough. Huge mistake.

It wasn't like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey where it was rough-going and frustrating at first, then gave way mid-game to where you start becoming that end-game Demigod who still paid for mistakes but could manage the challenge well enough. No, combat, outdoor map traversal (I *hate* the level design in outdoor areas), and stealth gameplay were a miserable experience the entire time. It was punishing.

Also no achievement for beating on that difficulty if I recall.

That said, someone had a lot of fun doing world-building and crafting a coherent and tightly-knit post-apocalyptic story. I see why the protagonist stuck with people.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 AM   #8
ChipperJonz
Knight

I got bored of this one. So whatever. Sony get your money.
ChipperJonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I get why this is news, but I also don't think it is news. It's like reporting that there is a new NFL team in 1972. Yeah, we get it, you want to make more money. Go for it, who cares.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
The game on a PS4 pro with ssd was better than most PC games. I can see them releasing it on PC and making the new one PS5 exclusive to sell PS5s.
No it wasn't LOL, stop. I really laughed from reading this, better than most PC games? Um, no. I bought it for PS4 pro and I have a 1tb SSD installed on mine. It runs like shit. Frame rate drops all over. Sold the game.
Ghostblaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Hahaha yeah I think this qualifies for the biggest load of bullshit I've read all day. Congrats.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
blackzc
Evil Dead

I would play this but it stars a woman. And the world isn't a kitchen. So yea.....

Tags
horizon zero dawn