Last post by excalibur1814
Yesterday 02:36 PM
2 Replies, 524 Views

Old 04-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #21
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
This. The overwhelming levels of negative bullshit generated on this site is tiresome. The press getting a free copy of the game and a goodybag does not make them corrupt, it's just a perk of the job.

Over the years every one us finds a couple of review sites that we tend to agree with and value their reviews. Of the ones i trust, I can't honestly say i've ever noticed a spike in certain review scores that I seriously thought was the result of the publisher paying.
As MetalJesus has said, Sony (and other companies) has been doing this for a while now.

So my question would be - if it has 0 bearing on reviewer's scores, why would Sony continue to send things like cheese and $100 bottles of wine and a cutting knife? Or massive, elaborate collectors editions, or any other goodies that are "just perks of the job" if there's no benefit to Sony? Does Sony just think that game reviewing is hard work, and they have a big heart? It's a humanitarian outreach to games journalists?

At the very least, it must be "working" in Sony's mind or they wouldn't continue to do it. Nor would any other company.

It many not influence all reviews, but it's baked into the foundation of human empathy to want to reward kindness with kindness. I have to imagine, even subconsciously, it ends out swaying some reviewers a bit. I just doubt companies like Sony would continue to do it if they didn't think they were getting some kind of proven benefit from it. Wouldn't getting a free/early copy of the game be enough reason to review the game? Not only that, in 2018, no games media outlet is going to elect to not review a game like God of War. If they ignored big titles like that, they'd lose their base of readers.

Just seems a bit goofy to me. Are lobbying dollars and lobbying gifts "just perks" when it comes to law making? Zero impact on laws and legislation?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #22
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
This. The overwhelming levels of negative bullshit generated on this site is tiresome. The press getting a free copy of the game and a goodybag does not make them corrupt, it's just a perk of the job.

Over the years every one us finds a couple of review sites that we tend to agree with and value their reviews. Of the ones i trust, I can't honestly say i've ever noticed a spike in certain review scores that I seriously thought was the result of the publisher paying.
This sort of topic only comes up when it comes to a major game; clearly, all of the reviews for the latest entry in an extremely popular series with both fans and critics are bought and paid for.

No one ever talks about the hundreds of games that receive fair-to-middling scores or the ones that are absolutely ravaged by the press. It only comes up with major titles or when someone disagrees with the score(s). "I've watched all of the trailers for this game and it totally only looks like a 7/10, not an 8/10. BOUGHT AND PAID FOR REVIEW!"
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #23
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I'm sure these perks can work on occasion or maybe even often. Getting something like this can be really fun and it can put you in a good mood before you sit down with the game. I can't tell you how many times I know I enjoyed a game or album more because I got it for Christmas (which I love) or I was in some great mood when I picked it up. Your disposition and mood matter when you start forming your opinion on anything. Sure they're not the only factors but they can certainly affect the final verdict greatly. Of course it's up to the reviewer to do their best to separate any of these biases from the verdict but that can't be all that easy since we're basically asking them to express their feelings and not just facts and figures when judging these games. Of course I suppose it can work in reverse too. If these gifts are crappy or the reviewer is jaded by receiving so many of them over the years, it can probably ruin the mood a bit. But in the end, I don't think any of it matters all that much unless the reviewer is flat out being paid cash for good scores.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #24
shadow763
Lord of Woe

You are all adults on this site. Or the majority of you are. I am pretty sure at this point you have reviewers or sites you generally trust. You should be able to determine if a game is likely good or worth playing pretty readily.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
So my question would be - if it has 0 bearing on reviewer's scores, why would Sony continue to send things like cheese and $100 bottles of wine and a cutting knife? Or massive, elaborate collectors editions, or any other goodies that are "just perks of the job" if there's no benefit to Sony? Does Sony just think that game reviewing is hard work, and they have a big heart? It's a humanitarian outreach to games journalists?
They do it because you get 20-30 games a week...and they are just trying to grab the reviewers attention. God of War has a massive marketing budget, so they can go overboard with the fluffy stuff... This is especially true when you are someone like RollingStone, USAToday, Wired or something more broad where they may have to review albums, movies, laptops, stereos, etc... and games are just a part of their site. They know it's not going to sway a review one way or the other, they just hope it will get more than a few sentences mention in the tech section.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I've loved all of the God of War games. I've never considered any of them 10/10 games. I'll be getting this on day one continuing to kick butt as Kratos. I'm glad that they are switching the game style up a little. Even if this game was reviewed and got 6/10 I'd still get it and play it.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #27
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I've loved all of the God of War games. I've never considered any of them 10/10 games. I'll be getting this on day one continuing to kick butt as Kratos. I'm glad that they are switching the game style up a little. Even if this game was reviewed and got 6/10 I'd still get it and play it.
Exactly. The pedigree of god of war has been established even if 3 was a bit exhausting it was over the top fun. It was outrageously violent and about kicking some deity ass. Hell that part where you have to totally destroy hermes I'll never forget just how fucking brutal the series is.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
You are all adults on this site. Or the majority of you are. I am pretty sure at this point you have reviewers or sites you generally trust. You should be able to determine if a game is likely good or worth playing pretty readily.
Naw, man. They're all bought and paid for...unless I agree with the score or happen to be a fan of the game/series.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This sort of topic only comes up when it comes to a major game; clearly, all of the reviews for the latest entry in an extremely popular series with both fans and critics are bought and paid for.

No one ever talks about the hundreds of games that receive fair-to-middling scores or the ones that are absolutely ravaged by the press. It only comes up with major titles or when someone disagrees with the score(s). "I've watched all of the trailers for this game and it totally only looks like a 7/10, not an 8/10. BOUGHT AND PAID FOR REVIEW!"
Exactly.

And the format for giving away the game isnít always even advantageous to the reviewer. What was that game that sent out itís press kits buried in a ton of raw meat that was supposed to look like human guts? Resident Evil or something? Or that time Nintendo sent over a squadron of middlingly attractive women to stand there and watch you play?

I donít think anyone can fault developers from wanting to present their game in the best possible light.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

True. All the scores from the likes of IGN and Gamespot are absolutely well thought out and don't ever seem shifted upwards towards AAA titles. And even if they were (which they've never appeared to be) it wouldn't matter at all because you can get more balanced reviews elsewhere for yourself individually. It won't shape the games industry at all.

Anyway, speaking of "news", anyone going to post a news thread about Billy Mitchell getting his Donkey Kong scores pulled from Twin Galaxies?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #31
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
True. All the scores from the likes of IGN and Gamespot are absolutely well thought out and don't ever seem shifted upwards towards AAA titles. And even if they were (which they've never appeared to be) it wouldn't matter at all because you can get more balanced reviews elsewhere for yourself individually. It won't shape the games industry at all.

Anyway, speaking of "news", anyone going to post a news thread about Billy Mitchell getting his Donkey Kong scores pulled from Twin Galaxies?
I think gamespot's wavered ever since square black listed them after kayne and lynch. Not to say all their reviewers haven't rated shit games well but after that they went luke warm.

I think it really comes down to the reviewer. Only site that was worth a damn is long gone. Think they went to a youtube format.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
saulob
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Well, from what I've seen this game looks top notch.

I just wish it was coming to PC.
Me too. Any God of War...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #33
Exodus
Evil Dead

I'll tell you what is bothering me though. From all the footage the only thing I see kratos is using is the axe. Where the fuck are all the cool awesome weapons? Hell when I got the nimion lion gauntlets I didn't think I could like the game any more than I did!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #34
Cranium
Dread Lord

Appreciate them trying to do something new with the franchise and develop the main character, but this "Kratos" really, really doesn't feel like the same individual I played in the previous games. If they truly wanted to take artistic chances and go in new story telling directions, they might have made it a new franchise about a legendary warrior and his son, but that'd be too big a financial risk I guess.

As it stands, this setting feels tacked on to me, and Kratos was always about an over-the-top godlike warrior accomplishing the impossible, not an increasingly down-to-earth pappy and his puppy. Might work for some fans I guess, but to me its like watching the sequel of a cherished movie where the cast has changed (e.g. Robocop sequels) - its neat enough though sacrilege, but never the same level of involvement. Don't plan to play it. RIP the God of War. Always was a successful Rygar reimagination at its core anyway.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #35
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
Appreciate them trying to do something new with the franchise and develop the main character, but this "Kratos" really, really doesn't feel like the same individual I played in the previous games. If they truly wanted to take artistic chances and go in new story telling directions, they might have made it a new franchise about a legendary warrior and his son, but that'd be too big a financial risk I guess.
He's not supposed to be the same Kratos, really. This one is set years after the previous ones, so some level of change and/or development should be expected. From a storytelling standpoint, there's only so many times you can revisit the same generic rage of the previous titles before things start to get stale. After a while, watching Kratos growl, scream and fist fuck some god's throat got a little old.

Quote:
As it stands, this setting feels tacked on to me, and Kratos was always about an over-the-top godlike warrior accomplishing the impossible, not an increasingly down-to-earth pappy and his puppy. Might work for some fans I guess, but to me its like watching the sequel of a cherished movie where the cast has changed (e.g. Robocop sequels) - its neat enough though sacrilege, but never the same level of involvement. Don't plan to play it. RIP the God of War. Always was a successful Rygar reimagination at its core anyway.
This is the first God of War title to even remotely pique my interest in years. After the first two, I dropped the series because they all started to look and feel like the same game with a fresh coat of paint. This new one may not feel quite as "authentic" to the series but fuck, at least it's something new.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #36
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post

I think it can go both ways. I think a big tonal shift can make a series better by contrast. Zelda 2 and Mario 2 are two of my favorite games because of how different they are. I think that's partnof why majoras mask is so popular as well.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god of war