15 Replies, 1,125 Views
Metro Exodus goes gold,...
Last post by Azrael
Today 04:44 AM
8 Replies, 700 Views

Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

CD Projekt Taking a Stand Against Paid DLC with 16 Free DLC Packs for The Witcher 3

Marcin Iwiński from CD Projekt told IGN that the developer is making a statement against paid DLC with 16 free DLC packs for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Quote:
CD Projekt co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwiński tells IGN that the developer is releasing 16 free The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt downloadable post-launch content packs to make a statement against the “steeply priced” paid DLC economy.

“Because people just paid full price for our game,” Iwiński responded when we asked why the developer is releasing its next 16 DLC packs for free. “We owe them.”

“Yeah, we are making a statement,” he added. “We, as gamers, would like to be treated this way, 'Hey, give me free DLC.' It doesn't have to be something huge. And I'm saying we aren't giving out huge stuff, we aren't giving tens of hours of storyline here, we are giving small bits of pieces that don't cost a lot. And I think people would feel better about our game, and, so, they will enjoy the adventure even more.
Also, GameSpot has posted a preview of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This is awesome. I didn't much like witcher 1 or 2 (I couldn't really master the combat) but I bought them anyway to support such an awesome dev studio who does right by the players.

I have high hopes for 3 and have already pre-ordered several copies for me and as gifts. CD Projekt deserves it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Yeah, that is awfu... wait - awesome? Am I the only one here that would like a finished, complete game at launch (especially if that launch was postponed for about a year, cumulatively)? I understand that these mini DLC packages don't contain essential stuff, but it'll be just enough to annoy me that I didn't get the "full" game on the disc. I mean, these things are essentially post-release marketing treats. Work on a real expansion or patches or even that Cyberpunk thingie instead!

Oh well... Maybe I'm just bitter because, due to DLC in its various forms, I'm essentially locked out of the online parts of every PS4 game I own right now. I'm not using the console regularly, because there are still many PS3 and Xbox 360 games I need to play first, so whenever I turn it on, there's a new 5-GB update file for "DriveClub", "Assassin's Creed: Unity" or even "Trials Fusion" and other seemingly small games clogging up my bandwith for hours (no exaggeration). And now CD Projekt announces 16 more bits of data as a good thing? I'm not convinced that is true for me.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Yeah I miss the old days of buying a game and feeling like it was totally worth the price. Now I almost always feel like I was ripped off after a purchase even if I liked the game. If The Witcher 3 disappoints I will probably focus more on other interests instead of the tragically handicapped gaming world.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
Yeah I miss the old days of buying a game and feeling like it was totally worth the price. Now I almost always feel like I was ripped off after a purchase even if I liked the game. If The Witcher 3 disappoints I will probably focus more on other interests instead of the tragically handicapped gaming world.
That's why I rarely buy at launch. I rarely spend more than $20 for a game nowadays.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
That's why I rarely buy at launch. I rarely spend more than $20 for a game nowadays.
Ditto.

Witcher 3 will be out for what...7 months before we see it on some sale on Steam or GreenManGaming for $20? I can wait. I have enough to continue to play until any game that has come out or will come out will hit a sale price.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
*this*

Given the amount of disposable time I have, I like to wait several months and then pick up for 50% off if I can (or some sale). Also gives the devs time to fix most of the beta software they released anyway, usually with some freebies because the community complains and we are thrown a bone or two.

i seriously long for cartridge days - you got your shit right because it's pretty damn hard to patch silicone.

this game looks purdy though
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Balhem
Evil Dead

I am not sure why people are complaining that they are giving FREE stuff to you, stuff that doesnt change the game. I mean seriously, they are saying here, we are working on a few tidbits more. The Game is done, but here is a little extra, oh and they have people working on all the other stuff like cyberpunk and any expansions.

Hell a company is doing it right and its all, I wish they wouldn't give us anything extra, cant they just say its done. It is done. Damn so much complaining for free little bits, that oh, you do not have to even use or download if you dont want. so the complaints about having to download it are invalid as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
unleashbass
Reaper

Agreed! Balhem.

Wish more developers had there attitude. Most of them of just milk every penny out of us they can.

CD Project are awesome! Here's just a few bits to say thanks for buying our game!

Witcher2 was great, can't wait for 3
unleashbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Julio
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balhem View Post
I am not sure why people are complaining that they are giving FREE stuff to you, stuff that doesnt change the game. I mean seriously, they are saying here, we are working on a few tidbits more. The Game is done, but here is a little extra, oh and they have people working on all the other stuff like cyberpunk and any expansions.

Hell a company is doing it right and its all, I wish they wouldn't give us anything extra, cant they just say its done. It is done. Damn so much complaining for free little bits, that oh, you do not have to even use or download if you dont want. so the complaints about having to download it are invalid as well.
People feel just so entitled nowadays. They look back on gaming with such nostalgia that even though we have come a long way they will always cling to the past.

Witcher games have story for 50+ hrs or so (depending on skill, exploration by the user, etc) but people still look back on games like megaman that had only 10 or so levels and sort of short levels at that.

The developer keeps expanding games (boo give me a complete game) the developer doesn't do anything for the game (boo the game was too short and I want more) the developer gives away free stuff (boo I have to download more stuff)
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cd projekt, cd projekt red, the witcher 3: wild hunt