Today 12:07 PM
3 Replies, 262 Views

Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA Are Committed To Titanfall, "Whatever The F*** That Means" Says Respawn Head

PCGamesN has the story.

Quote:
Titanfall 2 is great, but initial sales haven't exactly been the best, leaving many fans of the fast-paced sequel wondering if there will ever be a third game in the series. The truth is, developers Respawn just don't know yet.

EA have said that they plan to keep working with Respawn on the franchise, but recent comments from Respawn's CEO, Vince Zampella, suggest the plan hasn't been laid out for the developers.

This statement from EA followed the company's shares being downgraded in anticipation for poor Titanfall 2 sales, which were likely caused by the game having its release date sandwiched between Battlefield 1 and COD: Infinite Warfare.

As for releasing so close to COD: Infinite Warfare, a game which had a special edition that was bundled with COD: Modern Warfare - a game Zampella created - the Respawn CEO had this to say: "It definitely feels a little odd," he says in an interview with Glixel.

"Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is from my old studio, that I built. And they're repackaging my old game that I built, on a brand that I built. So it's kind of like you're throwing it all against me. OK, I can live with it."
That was a stupid f***ing release date. We discussed it here before release, and as we feared, it did not work out too well. It's a f***ing shame because Titanfall 2 a very good game, with a carefully crafted solo campaign. The suits at EA need to pull their heads out of their collective asses when it comes to releasing all of their top games in a small span during the holiday season. Another bang up job by Andrew Wilson!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:30 AM   #2
Syloney
Squire

Stupid decision or whatever you call it, it was a business decision to fulfil certain goals. Make no mistake EA knew full well what they were doing, even factoring potential losses into the equation, it was a calculated risk.

As far as their goals, two come to mind
1: Take market share away from the Almighty COD
2: Build a loyal customer base for the future.

Currently, its still too early to tell how both are performing but the hearsay seems to indicate they are on the right track. Latest figures show COD: IW selling less than its predecessor and the huge wave of approval and appreciation for TF2 on both fronts [Solo and MP].

Moreover, though some people might believe EA suits are oblivious to their competitors and consumers. Data is key, it isn't new, based on previous release dates of COD, that releasing along side it is a no win scenario, regardless of either before it or shortly after it. A lot of titles have paid the heavy price for this King of the hill challenge, going back more than 9 years (November 2007 releases comes to mind, and many more).

To quote the narrator from Darkest Dungeon
Quote:
The sin is not in being outmatched, but in failing to recognize it
Some publishers will push their titles into the new year for this very reason, even if they are not competing with COD on the same genre. Heck, the first TF was released the first quarter of that year, why wasn't that same strategy applied to TF2?

This is WAR plain and simple and there will be losses.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

People probably havent forgotten Titanfall 1. Thats why they didnt buy the sequel.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
defiant
Evil Dead

As far as PC is concerned, the release date would not matter if the core game was actually good and included the fundamental tools and design philosophies that foster communities. That's because PC communities, which make or break an MP focused game, often gestate over longer periods of time especially with new properties.

But nope, lets just blame the release date instead of Respawn's and EA's hubris and avarice. Meanwhile in reality a game which initially had 15,000 concurrent users at release has dwindled down to a mere 5,000 in a little over 2 weeks. There are obviously fundamental problems with the game itself which are turning existing owners off it.

Maybe if Respawn ever sucked up its pride and patched in a server browser and released the dedicated server files I would pick it up, but it sounds like the issues run far deeper than just that.

defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I find myself not playing TF2, even though I really want to.. It's a weird place to be. I have it. I beat the very cool campaign. I have played some really fun, fast paced, multiplayer games. However I just keep going back to one game and it's Destiny. I think TF2 is a great, fun game. It's way better than part 1, but I keep going back to Destiny with my friends. Maybe that's the factor. I have so many friends that I have been playing with for two years now. It's hard to play another multiplayer game with strangers.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I'm in this in between area where I'm not a big fan of the futuristic shooters, I've never been a big fan of WW1 era stuff, and I'm still tired of WW2 games. I kind of just want an updated modern day shooter like MW1 or MW2 but I don't feel like shelling out $80 for the MW1 remake. Maybe I'm just being picky.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Kawika
Dread Lord

I skipped both COD and BF this year (as most years) and I bought Titanfall 2.

I am going to get a pro this weekend and then start the campaign. I finally get to use my 4K tv for something other than youtube.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

I personally find the shooter genre to be a tired retread of a rerelease of a remake of a tired, worn out premise with old-as-the-hills gameplay.

Boring boredom bores me. Having played games in this genre for decades, are there any games with anything new to offer? Any suggestions for a title(s) with a new, unique approach to the genre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I personally find the shooter genre to be a tired retread of a rerelease of a remake of a tired, worn out premise with old-as-the-hills gameplay.

Boring boredom bores me. Having played games in this genre for decades, are there any games with anything new to offer? Any suggestions for a title(s) with a new, unique approach to the genre?
Amusingly enough, Titanfall and Titanfall 2 fall directly into that category; while they're shooters, they definitely tried to innovate more than most of the others.

Aside from the large robots, the game is very vertical in design; the levels are built to be climbed and leapt through. Most other shooters are much more horizontal, structurally speaking. It might sound relatively minor...but, they really strove to emphasize all three dimensions when designing the game.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Then I should try TF2! I'm not sure my current PC can handle it (it's old), but I'll be getting an XB1 in a month, so...maybe?!?!

Perhaps they offer a demo I can try, or will have a free weekend when I have the system. Hope so.
Quote:
Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Then I should try TF2! I'm not sure my current PC can handle it (it's old), but I'll be getting an XB1 in a month, so...maybe?!?!

Perhaps they offer a demo I can try, or will have a free weekend when I have the system. Hope so.
Definitely give it a shot!

The giant robots obviously mix things up quite a bit and the rest of the gameplay is pretty fresh, relatively speaking. It still feels like an FPS, but it's not a "standard" experience like COD or BF.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

I will wait till titanfall 2 is 10 bucks. I'm not interested in the mp aspect so waiting for a sale isn't an issue.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I find myself not playing TF2, even though I really want to.. It's a weird place to be. I have it. I beat the very cool campaign. I have played some really fun, fast paced, multiplayer games. However I just keep going back to one game and it's Destiny. I think TF2 is a great, fun game. It's way better than part 1, but I keep going back to Destiny with my friends. Maybe that's the factor. I have so many friends that I have been playing with for two years now. It's hard to play another multiplayer game with strangers.
Can we please agree to not call "Titanfall 2" "TF2"? That should be reserved to "Team Fortress 2" (it's like the "Gears of War"/"God of War" issue all over again). If you absolutely want to abbreviate a single word, how about "Titfall 2"?

P.S.: I'm only half-joking.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Definitely give it a shot!
I'll definitely give TF2 a shot. I know for sure I'm well beyond enjoying another retread in the CoD vein. No thanks...
Quote:
Old 11-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Anemone
Evil Dead

They tried to call of duty-fy this series, and I'm not having it.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

So, what specifically did they do to call of duty-fy it?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
Anemone
Evil Dead

In the sense of creating an online-only world and deprecating the single-player campaign. CoD was the first big AAA-game to do that, alienating my kind who don't care for MP-only. I remember playing the 2-hour campaign for I think CoD2 and dropping it after that.

This game began with TF1 by dropping single-player completely, and now has a CoD2-style 2-hour campaign or w/e. It's clear their focus is still on locking players into a CoD-style end-game of long-term multiplayer joy, and screw the people who prefer single-player or PVE coop.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #18
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about, as you never played the original OR this one. Wanna know why everyone has been incorporating wall-running in FPS'?

Titanfall

Some of the designers at Respawn said they were inspired by Brink, and they polished that kind of movement to the point where it's a joy to just run around in the game. This series is the next evolution of COD, with the speed of Quake III for good measure. It's fast, it's fun, and it has giant fucking robots.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #19
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
In the sense of creating an online-only world and deprecating the single-player campaign. CoD was the first big AAA-game to do that, alienating my kind who don't care for MP-only. I remember playing the 2-hour campaign for I think CoD2 and dropping it after that.

This game began with TF1 by dropping single-player completely, and now has a CoD2-style 2-hour campaign or w/e. It's clear their focus is still on locking players into a CoD-style end-game of long-term multiplayer joy, and screw the people who prefer single-player or PVE coop.
You're definitely not talking about CoD2 and as far as I know none of the CoDs actually have 2 hour long campaigns...Seems like yet another case of you have no fucking clue what you're talking about..

Also, Terran, you're not going to like TF2, don't waste your money (well unless you get it for like 10 bucks down the line just for the singleplayer)...Sai's description as the next evolution of CoD with the speed of quake really is the most accurate.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #20
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
You're definitely not talking about CoD2 and as far as I know none of the CoDs actually have 2 hour long campaigns...Seems like yet another case of you have no fucking clue what you're talking about..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_o...dern_Warfare_2

Tags
ea games, respawn entertainment, titanfall 2