Today 12:48 PM
13 Replies, 1,294 Views

Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Comcast Confirms Plan To Counter Disney With Richer, All-Cash Offer For Fox

Deadline has the story.

Quote:
It’s on. Comcast this morning confirmed its plan to make a rich counter-offer for the 21st Century Fox assets that Disney has proposed to acquire.

The move sets in motion what could be one of the all-time merger battles in media. Comcast chief Brian Roberts is set to clash with Disney’s Bob Iger for control of the film and TV empire that Rupert Murdoch and sons James and Lachlan spent years building. While Disney and Fox have agreed to a $52.4 billion deal, Comcast’s counter is believed to be in the $60 billion range.

As many in the media business and on Wall Street had been predicting since word surfaced of Comcast meeting with bankers to line up financing, the NBCUniversal owner and No. 1 U.S. cable distributor said a rival bid is in the “advanced stages.” The trigger for this morning’s announcement, Comcast said, was the filing of SEC documents by Fox and Disney in preparation for special shareholder meetings. The summer meetings are when 21st Century Fox and Disney shareholders are expected to vote on the proposed $52.4 billion acquisition of the Fox assets.

Comcast did not specify a price for its bid in today’s statement. The assets on the table include everything under the Murdoch tent except for the Fox broadcast network, Fox News and the company’s portfolio of local TV stations. In play are the Fox film and TV studios and a lucrative set of cable networks, including FX, National Geographic and regional sports operations.

The only reason a firm offer has not been extended is the all-determining decision expected June 12 in the AT&T-Time Warner antitrust case.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

This kind of shit shouldn't be allowed. A couple companies should not own most of media between them.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

The quality of Fox with the customer service of Comcast!

What coud go wrong?
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I don't know which company I hate more in this case.

Comcast, who have bandwidth caps on their high speed internet, Disney who is a hypocritical anti-american country, or Fox.

Maybe Fox just collapses under its own weight before either of these two companies manages to secure anything and the fans get everything at bargain basement prices.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Comcast, who have bandwidth caps on their high speed internet, Disney who is a hypocritical anti-american country, or Fox.
Wow, Disney is a country?? This is 2018, not 2081.

And Comcast doesn't have bandwidth caps, they have DATA caps that aren't really caps, but "we're going to fleece you if you use too much data in a month unless you pay us $50 a month extra to go capless".

So it's not quite as bad as it sounds, but I will be THRILLED in 2 months when I move and ditch them for capless GIGABIT FIBER!!! WOOO!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Wow, Disney is a country?? This is 2018, not 2081.

And Comcast doesn't have bandwidth caps, they have DATA caps that aren't really caps, but "we're going to fleece you if you use too much data in a month unless you pay us $50 a month extra to go capless".

So it's not quite as bad as it sounds, but I will be THRILLED in 2 months when I move and ditch them for capless GIGABIT FIBER!!! WOOO!
They tell you on their Xfinity website the cap is SOOOO generous barely even 1% of their people ever exceed it (the cap is a 1TB). All it would take me to exceed the cap is to have to restore one computer worth of games and download all my media again.

Just my Blizzard \games folder is like 300gb.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Even though Disney's offer is smaller up front, it's mostly stock...which could easily prove to be much more valuable and lucrative in just a few short years than Comcast's larger, all-cash offer is right now.

The more prudent move would be to sell to Disney, I think.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #8
Sinistar
Evil Dead

It's pretty clear WHY Comcast wants to buy Fox - for The Simpsons.

But in all honesty, they have very little IP of their own that's making big money whereas Disney is buying IP left and right. This deal has a little bit to do with every vertical that both Disney and Comcast make their money, from theme parks to movies & tv to services and beyond.

Tags
comcast, disney, fox