Yesterday 03:37 PM
6 Replies, 748 Views

Old 05-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Star Citizen launches $27,000 players' pack

BBC has the news!

Quote:
Crowdfunded space simulation game Star Citizen has launched its $27,000 (£20,000) Legatus Pack, which includes nearly all its spacecraft plus extras.

Only players who have already spent $1,000 in the game can access the pack. Cloud Imperium, the creators of Star Citizen, has received more than $200m in crowdfunding since launching a Kickstarter campaign for it in 2012.

According to its website it has more than two million players, although the game itself is still in development.

Star Citizen aims to create a vast science fiction universe that can be explored in dozens of spaceships, with first-person space combat, all online and multi-player.
Microtransactions are so old age now.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Someone is going to buy it.

Shame.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The rationalizing among the few fans left is a wonder to behold. There are people who actually believe "orgs" with thousands of players will chip in to buy this. Kind of like Eve, a real functioning space MMO you can play this minute. First of all, Star Citizen's current online population is almost nonexistent. Nobody is playing. Nobody is watching streams. It doesn't even support more than a handful of players at any given instance without crashing. Next, of all those ships in the $27k pack very few are in the game. The rest are literally just concept art. After 6 years of development the most they've done is blow up their store into a parody of macro/microtransactions. Things you can't and will not ever get to use. Everything that's wrong in mainstream gaming today they have reinterpreted in the slimiest most fucked up way imaginable.

Another asinine part about the obvious ponzi scheme is defenders still believe you will be able to acquire these super expensive ships by simply playing the game. Put aside the fact there will never be a game. But if there is, it will literally be CIG's only source of income flushed away. Selling pictures of promises is all that's paying the bills now. And that's not enough to keep a subscription free fully functioning MMO going in any universe.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This November will be, what, 7 years late for what should have been the release of the spiritual successor to Privateer?

Fortunately Star Citizen and Chris Roberts are the exception and not the rule when it comes to crowdfunded games I've backed.

BattleTech (frustrating as it is), Shadow Run, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment, and others have actually proven themselves good enough to overcome the shitty experience and taste in my mouth left by Double Fine and Chris Roberts.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I don't get why anyone after 5 minutes of researching Chris Roberts would give him money to do anything. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for decades. And when he was it was always other people doing the work while he pretended to be a Hollywood big shot. And then he had a car rental service for D-list celebrities before cashing in on "dreams". Other well known developers who have worked with him, like Warren Spector, laugh at the mention of his name.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
I don't get why anyone after 5 minutes of researching Chris Roberts would give him money to do anything. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for decades. And when he was it was always other people doing the work while he pretended to be a Hollywood big shot. And then he had a car rental service for D-list celebrities before cashing in on "dreams". Other well known developers who have worked with him, like Warren Spector, laugh at the mention of his name.

Lets face it, he had a timely, well-done video (for its day) and people latched on, myself included in the hysteria.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Those hookers and cocaine ain't gonna buy themselves.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't get why anyone after 5 minutes of researching Chris Roberts would give him money to do anything. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for decades.
I think Kickstarter proved that “not being relevant” has little to do with what the fans want and what creators want to make, and almost exclusively deals with what publishers think they can sell in large numbers. As soon as Lickstarter came along, suddenly all the old developers who always WANTED to work but couldn’t get funding came out of the woodwork. Similarly, all the old games that had high demand and no supply became kickstarted with sequels or spiritual successors.

The “relevant” developers are the ones who are pushing slight variations of whatever is “hot” right now for the masses.

I don’t fault a developer for not chasing that.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:50 AM   #9
Robberbaron
Death Knight

Crowdfunded space simulation game Star Citizen has launched its $27,000 (£20,000) Legatus Pack, which includes nearly all its spacecraft plus extras.

nearly all its spacecraft plus extras.

nearly

for 27k u better give me my own planets not NEARLY ALL the spacecraft
Robberbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Those hookers and cocaine ain't gonna buy themselves.
That is what it says on my tattoo.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #11
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robberbaron View Post

nearly all its spacecraft plus extras.

nearly

for 27k u better give me my own planets not NEARLY ALL the spacecraft

Dude. Fuck this game. Sorry to anyone into it, I know a couple people who are, but $27k for DLC? Unless I'm reading this wrong, fuck this game.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #12
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

For that kind of money they should be sending you a fully loaded new PC that can play this game maxed out at release. This is really the stupidest thing ever in a crowd funded game.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

This is like 7 month old news

People that spend over 1000+ $ and have Concierge access got an email for the new pack that contains all the ships + skins and variants, that exist or that will make in the future...

Some blog now "rediscover it" then kotaku and next BBC lol
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I just..can't find words to articulate the absurdity here. $27,000 on digital content for what might end out being vaporware? Why not just grind up your life savings in a blender? Jesus...donate to charity at that point. If you have that kind of money to just piss into the wind. Go help a working-poor family. Feed them for a year. If you don't like helping others because life is all about you, then go buy a new car, or put a downpayment on a home, or build that addition to your house you've always wanted. But there is no way to justify spending $27,000 on ....ships in a video game. Good fucking grief.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I just..can't find words to articulate the absurdity here. $27,000 on digital content for what might end out being vaporware? Why not just grind up your life savings in a blender? Jesus...donate to charity at that point. If you have that kind of money to just piss into the wind. Go help a working-poor family. Feed them for a year. If you don't like helping others because life is all about you, then go buy a new car, or put a downpayment on a home, or build that addition to your house you've always wanted. But there is no way to justify spending $27,000 on ....ships in a video game. Good fucking grief.
And it's not even just 27k

Quote:
Only players who have already spent $1,000 in the game can access the pack
Old 05-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
There is one lunatic Star Citizen fan who has done worse.

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/...51327200194560

Every week he orders pizza for the CIG employees in California from his tiny home thousands of miles away in Texas. And the guy is obsessed with a holographic anime character. I mean come on now:

His PC build reveals more about his disturbing yet hilarious ineptitude. He spent over a grand on more than 31 Thermaltake case fans blowing in every direction. And Star Citizen still runs like shit with the equivalent of a F1 tornado cooling the PC. What's scary is compared to the Star Citizen fanbase he is one of the more level-headed. Yet whales like him with disposable income, a large inheritance, pensions, disability checks, etc. keep it going.

Last edited by Mad Max RW; 05-30-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

The Western World has more money than it has stuff to spend it on. Meanwhile, half of the planet lives on $2.50/day or less (in Venezuela, decidedly less). Priorities! :facepalm:

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
xplics
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Lets face it, he had a timely, well-done video (for its day) and people latched on, myself included in the hysteria.
I think I faintly recall that lol oh boy even though it was not all that long ago...those were the days
Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
There is one lunatic Star Citizen fan who has done worse.

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/...51327200194560

Every week he orders pizza for the CIG employees in California from his tiny home thousands of miles away in Texas. And the guy is obsessed with a holographic anime character. I mean come on now:

His PC build reveals more about his disturbing yet hilarious ineptitude. He spent over a grand on more than 31 Thermaltake case fans blowing in every direction. And Star Citizen still runs like shit with the equivalent of a F1 tornado cooling the PC. What's scary is compared to the Star Citizen fanbase he is one of the more level-headed. Yet whales like him with disposable income, a large inheritance, pensions, disability checks, etc. keep it going.
Wow.zers. Sounds like a real prize winner. Obsessed with a holographic anime character - I'm not even sure I know what the fuck that even is, but it sounds like someone well-grounded enough to make responsible choices with $50,000. People. Ah well, what are you going to do. But I swear...there's just something immoral to me about spending 27,000 or 50,000 dollars on DLC for a video game. We all need some form of entertainment and our money is our own. But when you can feed 3 working-poor families for a year on what you just spent on pretend spaceships that will likely never come to fruition in the pretend environment they don't yet exist in...It really is akin to someone wiping their ass with and flushing $100 bills every day while shouting "why don't you go work hard" at the poor plumber fixing the clog you just made.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

People are still buying into this? WTF? I wish I could sucker people into giving me their money as well as this "game" has.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatransactions, star citizen