Last post by ministryofwrath
Today 08:52 AM
5 Replies, 360 Views

Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #21
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
It splits it because at some point developers will realize they have all this extra power to play with as long as they ignore the old system. At that point the hardware splits into new vs old. Sony can demand that people make games compatible with the old hardware for a while, but once the install base gets large enough some developers & publishers will want to ignore those rules.

And someone always strikes a deal that lets them make their game for the new hardware only as long as they make the game a PS4.5 exclusive.
Very unlikely. They can realize all they want, they only get certified to release on Sony's terms.

At best, 4k would become an option, shipped on disc for games also compatible with base unit. Precisely because it's a minority system it's unlikely to ever become the numerical majority, and Sony unlikely to cut those people loose ever, for obvious reasons.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #22
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I would pick one up. My tv is ready and needs programming.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #23
LegendOfWayne
Banned

My current PS4 hasn't even been turned on for months. I still don't have a 4K TV or monitor. I can't see myself ever buying one of these unless you need it for the VR thing AND if it turns out VR really is AMAZING and would re-ignite an interest in gaming for me.
LegendOfWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #24
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
It splits it because at some point developers will realize they have all this extra power to play with as long as they ignore the old system. At that point the hardware splits into new vs old. Sony can demand that people make games compatible with the old hardware for a while, but once the install base gets large enough some developers & publishers will want to ignore those rules.

And someone always strikes a deal that lets them make their game for the new hardware only as long as they make the game a PS4.5 exclusive.
Developers don't care about extra power to play with. All they care about is developing for the lowest common denominator and then porting as much as possible.

Why would they give up the potential customers in the largest installed user base plus the ability to port to Xbox just so they had "more power to play with?" Heck, the desire to lowball and port is paranoid why games are so lacking in innovation and uniqueness.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:45 AM   #25
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
I was going to get an Xbone if I had the extra money, I might need to save it for this.
For as long as I can remember you have lambasted the PC platform because of cost of upgrade cycles. Kind of funny that the PS4 is potentially succumbing to the same drawback but yet you are happy to throw money at effectively having to upgrade to obtain the best hardware and feature set just over 2 years since release. For reference, I only just upgraded my GPU configuration from 2012 but only because I needed the most powerful video card to drive a new 3440x1440 monitor.

I still have my doubts that whatever this new hardware is that it will actually be capable of running games natively at 4K given the GPU processing power that requires.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #26
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Defiant get's it
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #27
WileE.Coyte
Evil Dead

Quote:
Very true. I wonder if they have any choice if they don't want PSVR to be a Kinect-level failure? I'm already very skeptical of VR in the first place. Trying to run it on a console that can barely handle 1080p doesn't seem like a bright idea.

The big thing will be watching to see if any developers target only the new machine for their games. I think we have all seen game boxes that say "requires xxx" to play.
Isn't it different now with updates most games are released cross platform. You could just choose which version to play if you had the correct hardware. How many high end PC exclusives are out there? Not a troll question I'm just curious.
WileE.Coyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation 4, ps4