Marvel Developing She...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 05:57 PM
0 Replies, 161 Views

Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Into the White Zone: Impressions of World War Z

So I finished reading World War Z earlier in the week. It was a fine book, and certainly one of the most engaging novels I've read in a while. Yes, it had its shortcomings. But World War Z was one of those stories that stay with you long after the final page has been turned.

So how did the movie compare?

Full write-up here.

Just know that sometimes, even zombies don't make it better.
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
DingBat
Evil Dead

Wow, couldn't disagree more. I went into the film with very low expectations and came away satisfied. Sure, there are a couple of leaps of logic in the film that are a bit challenging, but, hey, it's a zombie film.

It may not be 28 Days Later, but it's sure not Land of the Dead either.

Solid B. Would watch again.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I think all these so called critics go to every movie and want to compare them to hamlet or something. Quit it, it's Hollywood entertainment, eye candy, nothing more, nothing less.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Doesi t have Yonkers?
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
bean19
Butt Stallion

The seas of super-agile infected people look cool, but they aren't really zombies. Anyway, I'll see it eventually.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkarim View Post
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I think all these so called critics go to every movie and want to compare them to hamlet or something. Quit it, it's Hollywood entertainment, eye candy, nothing more, nothing less.
Do you read many movie critics? The critics I have read treat popcorn movies for what they are and judge them against other popcorn movies - which I think is absolutely fair. Spider-Man got very high critical ratings while The Green Lantern did not.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

This movie was total garbage, especially the final act. The last 30 minutes felt like something you'd see on Nickelodeon 4pm Sunday. Brad Pitt couldn't save this even if he tried.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Grandpappy
Evil Dead

I had low expectations. I loved the book, but I went into this with my brain unplugged.

It's a different take on zombies (they are just the transmission mechanism for a virus that wants to spread as fast as possible), which was kind of interesting.

I left thinking it did what I expected.

It had waves of zombies.
Grandpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Azzy
Cthulian

spoilers -

zombies have changed characteristics solidly for years.
to say that these weren't zombies is wrong. doctors at the WHO (that stands for Doctors Who Decide Shit About How People Die) say that the people who are up and moving around and trying to bite you "have no circulation and by definition are not alive" so that pretty fucking much makes them zombies. it's never proven, unlike the popular zombie movie 28 days later, that it's a pathogen. (this is also where a significant logic breach occurs. it can't be a pathogen! treat it like a pathogen!)

as has been said, this is a popcorn flick. i had trouble finding a point to get up and go to the bathroom, so that makes it a win. when every scene that started held me until it finished through, that makes it a win. logic gaps and shallow characters didn't stop it.

and no, it's not the book. thank god. that book would make a shitty movie. maybe an ok tv mini series, but a movie? for summer? do you people see movies?
while shruggingly ok, the book wasn't the goddamn zombie bible of divine writing +2 that every person who seems to want to dislike this movie makes it out to be. it's a book that people who don't regularly read books are trying to rally behind in an attempt to look like people who fucking read.

i'd give this movie a B, solidly. i'd also be ok saying that while i watched it i barely had a thought in my head.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Outbreak had more suspense, no green screens, and better actors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
LoTECH
Evil Dead

I heard that this was trash. Nice to see it confirmed. My understanding is that the final act was totally rewritten and reshot and then cobbled together haphazardly. I wouldn't watch this garbage for free. If just pay cash to watch Man of Steel again
Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Doesi t have Yonkers?
Nope. No Yonkers. It lightly and liberally takes from the books, opting for its own Hollywood storyline that doesn't make much sense, particularly at the end.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

Just saw the movie. Not bad.

Of course you'll hate the movie if you read the book, that's true of any book movie.

I remember being pissed seeing the White Fang movie. And Jurassic Park the book is loads better.

Anyway.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
randir14
Subscriber

The only people I know who want to see this are both females, and their only reason is because Brad Pitt is in it.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #15
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Do you read many movie critics? The critics I have read treat popcorn movies for what they are and judge them against other popcorn movies - which I think is absolutely fair. Spider-Man got very high critical ratings while The Green Lantern did not.
That's how I did it. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. But I went into the film with LOW expectations and tried to compare it to other summer films... Superman, Iron Man 3. Those were enjoyable flicks. This was fun at times, but certainly not worth seeing when you take into account the ridiculous cost of going to the movies. The other films had more enjoyable characters, special effects, or something going for them. The strongest point of this movie were the sequences when Bradd Pitt is creeping about trying to avoid zombies. The large set pieces while somewhat cool, largely looked terrible. The movie was so bad I just wanted to walk out at times. But hey, that's my opinion. I'm not saying the book was the greatest thing either. It had quite a few flaws. But it didn't make me want to put out my eyes. lol. People talk about unplugging and enjoying the spectacle. I can do that for most films if they have SOMETHING going for it. This movie had Bradd Pitt. That's really about it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

I feel like I'll probably see this movie eventually, but I honestly hated every moment of the book. The framing device was annoying and almost all of the major plot points were idiotic(imo of course).
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
Testcase
Evil Dead

No Yonkers??? Crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

As for healers.. they're just fucked.
Testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Larnek
Subscriber

Have to disagree with OP and agree with the popcorn others. Not a bad one, truly dragged to it by wife for Bad Pitt and OMG zombies are so scary. Neither of which was really great. But all in all it was completely watchable. Agree that plot jumps were retarded. You don't even have to be looking for them to have em jump out at you. I loved the, oh no I can't talk to my wife now because phone just died. 15 minutes later, Shit we need a plot change, phone is working! (Also good thing nuclear EMP only takes out cell phones, and not C130 avionics.) Glad they went the suspense route moreso than the nonstop zombies in your face.
tl;dr- worth seeing for a summer movie. Don't expect the book, or greatness.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
Nope. No Yonkers. It lightly and liberally takes from the books, opting for its own Hollywood storyline that doesn't make much sense, particularly at the end.
Fuck that shit then. I'll download it--I mean buy it when it's on DVD then.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Just saw the movie. Not bad.

Of course you'll hate the movie if you read the book, that's true of any book movie.

I remember being pissed seeing the White Fang movie. And Jurassic Park the book is loads better.

Anyway.
The short story "The Body" which became the movie Stand By Me was very well done, but you are correct 99.9% of all books to movies suck.

I have to say I do like the show Dexter over the books too.

Tags
brad pitt, world war z, zombies